• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How am I doing for a 16 year old?

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a public school educated Londoner, I too wore a suit through 6th form.

The vast majority of people in the bars and clubs in the younger age bracket do wear blazers/sports coats in my experience.

As far as casual wear goes, chinos, suede penny loafers and a blazer is practically a uniform around the smarter areas such as Chelsea and Fulham where you generally find publicly educated types.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
...I think the taste here is generally too conservative & limited...

That is quite true actually. Being a young'un, I find MC is too conservative, but SW&D is too queer. Despite this, still plenty of things you can learn from here...

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tristan.sf
It's astonishing that a thread this terrible managed to be twelve pages long.

This is SF. You must be like, 15 or something.

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
What do you mean by, "This is SF"? I said what I did because any good advice was overwhelmed by the number of comments about teenage concerns for girls and sex.
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
This is SF. You must be like, 15 or something.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tristan.sf
What do you mean by, "This is SF"? I said what I did because any good advice was overwhelmed by the number of comments about teenage concerns for girls and sex.

I meant its shocking you are astonished that it went this long. This is SF after all.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I meant its shocking you are astonished that it went this long. This is SF after all.

yeah, what does it mean spoo? 'this is sf' huh? be careful how you respond. i feel a butthurt coming on

DrPsycho

Reaction score
9sqg5t.jpg

Couldn't resist.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ There ya go. He gets it.

Originally Posted by NAMOR
yeah, what does it mean spoo? 'this is sf' huh? be careful how you respond. i feel a butthurt coming on

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
As far as casual wear goes, chinos, suede penny loafers and a blazer is practically a uniform around the smarter areas such as Chelsea and Fulham where you generally find publicly educated types.
Fuji's post was pretty much matches up to my experience when it comes to how most public school guys in the UK dress (I went to a public school, my sister went to a public school, my younger brother is still at one, a pretty large proportion of the people I know did, both the big ones and MPSs). People in Chelsea and Fulham do tend to dress more conservatively/traditionally and suede loafers and chinos are as common as you say, but these people do not represent most public school types these days. I left school 7 years ago and people who dressed the way you describe in their free time still made up a significant number then, but their numbers have since fallen I think. The people you see in Chelsea and Fulham are a self-selected minority that choose to dress that way, the whole area is kind of a sloane ranger time warp that has remained the same since the 70s at least. You will find just as many young "publicly educated types" in Hoxton and Shoreditch wearing skinny jeans OCBDs and graphic t-shirts. Most kids still at public school tend to wear polo shirts and jeans in their free time, often from Jack Wills, sometimes even from Abercrombie and Fitch. A few still wear chinos and shirts but they actually tend to be the children of very wealthy foreigners. Of my little brothers friends the only ones that wear tailored clothes outside of school hours are Russians. Also who cares what kind of clothes a girl is into, especially when you are that age. Obsessing over logo-ed clothing is pretty shallow but teenagers are kind of shallow. I would think other aspects of her personality and interests were more important than if she liked guys in A&F polo shirts. None of this has any bearing on the Op, so my apologies to him. If you are still reading this you should have a look at Rugby Ralph Lauren, not to buy anything, but to have a look at more "classic" clothing styled for younger people. By all means wear tailored clothing, but you don't want to end up dressing old mannishly. If I was you I would focus on having perhaps one suit, one odd jacket that can be worn with smart trousers or jeans and just a few shirts that fit all fit excellently. You could probably get away with just one pair of formal shoes, maybe two. Wear your school uniform or decent jeans, t-shirts and trainers the rest of the time. Really do think about a new pair of glasses, the ones you have are not terrible but some of the more classic preppy glasses designs would really suit you, and you won't grow out of them in six months, unlike a suit.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not going to bother reading through every page on this threak, so instead I'll simply inquire as to whether or not the obligatory Harry Potter jokes have been made. If not, please let me know.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
That is quite true actually. Being a young'un, I find MC is too conservative, but SW&D is too queer. Despite this, still plenty of things you can learn from here...

Conservative and queer are like horse and carriage especially in English public schools.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji

Advice to the OP. I used to be into the same thing when I was like 14 or 15. I had tonnes of money then so I was able to buy very very high quality clothes and shoes and even accessories like a platinum mont blanc and an 18k longines, but it still looked ridiculous, at that age your just too young to look good in a suit. Buy some nice jeans and some nice shoes, you can wear dress shoes fine and get some nice knitwear. Also join a gym, your 16, if you eat well you can get stacked pretty quick and being in good shape will make you look better then any clothes you can buy.

AmEN to this!

UrbanAesthetics

Reaction score
Definitely on the right track Bro! Big fan of the tie, although I think you should 1. Size down the shirt one size. 2. Tuck the shirt collars into your crewneck sweater and 3. Style your hair. It'll complete your look and people will take you more seriously than their probably are now. Much respect for starting to dress maturely at a young age, just accept people's opinion's and learn from them. Hope this helped Bro!...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads