• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Honest question: Can someone explain to me why Jos A Banks is so hated around here?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
great thread. corbera winning as usual. :laugh:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
80 maybe 90% of suits sold in the US are in 300.00 or so price range to 98% of men who grudgingly buy a suit because of need and and not want. The suit is worn occasionally or with no thought to style, fit or make. JAB or Men's Wearhouse cater to this market. The clothing construction and fabrics are the bare minimum to qualify them as "clothes" they are more correctly classified as "coverings". Seriously, the construction time of one of these suits is probably 20 minutes on the trouser and a little over an hour on the jacket. The manufacturing cost is the smallest cost compared to distribution, marketing and overhead. They probably cost 30 to 50.00 for cloth and make. They are made to be profitable at the sale prices. Jefferyd could qualify these points.
These suits meet a need in the marketplace but are poor value. They really are quite expensive regarding value for money spent. Almost everything in retail is on sale at some point and I would much rather buy a 700.00 suit at 50% off that has a bit of internal integrity than what these garments are. I've opened them up and there is nothing there. Not to nitpick these two brands, this happens in diffusion lines of big names as well.
I think Boyer said this in his writing. Frugal men bought the best they could afford because in the end they were better served by the quality.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might be indicative of the state of men's clothing in San Francisco that a Joseph A. Bank now occupies the space on Sutter/Stockton where Wilkes Bashford used to be in the 80's.

I've been thrown out of both stores.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JAB - I got a circular for a discount on something because I used to buy accessories there. Their mailing list screwed up my name, using my middle name for my last. So when I went in to redeem this offer the manager claimed I wasn't on the list, I insisted I was, once it became a scene I left. Ended up writing to their head office where the error was discovered, at which point they offered me a free suit. I never got back to them.

WB - I literally had sales staff there give me the once over and then tell me,"we're having a private sale, you'll have to come back." This was when Wilkes himself still owned the place but apparently let his snooty staff run wild. I've not been in since Mitchell's took them over, I understand the store is run much better now.

gegarrenton

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
WB - I literally had sales staff there give me the once over and then tell me,"we're having a private sale, you'll have to come back." This was when Wilkes himself still owned the place but apparently let his snooty staff run wild. I've not been in since Mitchell's took them over, I understand the store is run much better now.

Nice restraint. That probably would have ended up in a fistfight and/or yelling session aimed at making the salesmen feel bad for how little money they made if it was me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads