• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it rather interesting that the same people who complain about pages “wasted debating tone of critique” in discussing clothes and fit, the central purpose of this thread, are clogging up the thread with 10 pages of talk about food and nationality.

I give up ...

Alan Bee

Fair point. Doesn't change anything in my question and comments to you, but fair point.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a thread with 4048 pages (at least on my phone). Let’s accept that some tangents are going to happen, and roll with it. Less complaining the better, in my opinion. Lord knows there’s enough of it in the world nowadays.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would love for Bee to be the new Vox/Foo/Manton, but the evidence just doesn't support it. For one thing, his opinions about shoes, gray pants (and a few other things which currently escape me) are idiosyncratic. Wonderful for him if that is what he likes, but not to be taken as canon, no matter how forcefully stated.

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were not Foo's views (the OneShoo, the absolute superiority of a cream silk pocket square etc.) rather idiosyncratic, though? They sounded just like subjective preferences posited as sartorial Truths, and it always seemed to me that Foo's influence was as much a matter of his rhetorical and dialectical skills as his sense of style. And without rehashing all that's been said about Manton's politics, did not his threads (those endless iterations of the conservative business dress code, for instance) and sartorial dictates display that same rigid and exclusionary mentality as his political vision (i.e., American standards are disintegrating, foreign elements are invading American society / corporate life / dress etc.)? By my lights, the forum is better without them. Less entertaining perhaps - like a school after the chief bully has been ousted - but more welcoming.

As for Alan, while he's one of my favorite posters at the moment, he should acknowledge that not all of us share his aspiration for sartorial perfection. For many of us menswear is just a hobby among others and we have no real need for a "method to the madness" or constant improvement. Enlighten us with your fits, Alan, not by trying to emulate Foo and Manton.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were not Foo's views (the OneShoo, the absolute superiority of a cream silk pocket square etc.) rather idiosyncratic, though? They sounded just like subjective preferences posited as sartorial Truths, and it always seemed to me that Foo's influence was as much a matter of his rhetorical and dialectical skills as his sense of style. And without rehashing all that's been said about Manton's politics, did not his threads (those endless iterations of the conservative business dress code, for instance) and sartorial dictates display that same rigid and exclusionary mentality as his political vision (i.e., American standards are disintegrating, foreign elements are invading American society / corporate life / dress etc.)? By my lights, the forum is better without them. Less entertaining perhaps - like a school after the chief bully has been ousted - but more welcoming.

This is the longer form version of my post above. Agreed 100%.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, the inclusion of Foo in that list was probably off. But his idiosyncrasies produced great content. Bee, I think there's room for a thread about a quest for the OneSock™. You up for it?

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As for Alan, while he's one of my favorite posters at the moment, he should acknowledge that not all of us share his aspiration for sartorial perfection. For many of us menswear is just a hobby among others and we have no real need for a "method to the madness" or constant improvement. Enlighten us with your fits, Alan, not by trying to emulate Foo and Manton.

What? I'm here for the entertainment as only I know how to dress well where I'm at.

I vote for a 2nd Foo. Without Foo I wouldn't be in SF. Great traffic for the site.

themanfromLisbon

Reaction score
I find it rather interesting that the same people who complain about pages “wasted debating tone of critique” in discussing clothes and fit, the central purpose of this thread, are clogging up the thread with 10 pages of talk about food and nationality.

I give up ...

Alan Bee

Absolutely right!

Vic

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This Foo fellow was before my time, but I think I would struggle to take seriously the views of someone who unironically posts photos like this:

700.jpeg

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Foo had the same problem that a lot of short people on SF have. They have more of a desire to go along with the SF trends than what is right for their stature. I remember seeing a picture of him wearing a bespoke mid-calf overcoat that would have looked great on someone 5-10 or above. But it made him look like an absolute midget. I mean, he dresses well in the sense that he has a lot of nice clothes with all the SF approved details, like two inch cuffs, patch pockets, and whatever else. But really, you have to work with the details that are best for you. Not what you see in WAYRN.

Say what you want about Michael Anton as a person; his book is a really great primer for guys of various shapes and sizes because he takes into account those differences. That's part of why Flusser's books are great as well.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got my copy of "Clothes and the Man" back in the '80s. I tend not to be as prescriptive as some folks here, but if you're interested in wearing suits and ties, it's a great place to start.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads