• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FALL SERIES (Cont’d)

Ulster done in Medium Gray Harrison’s Overcoating

Alan Bee
View attachment 1072339 View attachment 1072340 View attachment 1072341 View attachment 1072342 View attachment 1072343

Not sure how I feel about the drape of this coat, seems a little feminine which such a wide flare below the waist towards the hem. The material looks really nice, but maybe too much waist suppression?
View attachment 1072365

Yup, too much waist suppression again. Agree with the excess flaring. Also, pants are a tad long in all but the first shot.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about the drape of this coat, seems a little feminine which such a wide flare below the waist towards the hem. The material looks really nice, but maybe too much waist suppression?
View attachment 1072365
That was my initial thought, but the other photos look very differently-proportioned. Perhaps Mr. Bee took the first photo during a gust of wind. Or do the large lapels have something to do with it?

The upper back fit is always excellent on Mr. Bee's garments, and this coat looks to be no exception.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had another interview so had to go conservative business dress. This tie might tie one of the best knots I have. Maybe...

Maiden voyage for the shirt as well and it’s phenomenal.

CEC99DF9-38B1-4913-B2DF-2FE866811AC4.jpeg

Suit: Orazio
Shirt: Fralbo
Tie: Drake’s
PS: Berg & Berg
Shoes: Velasca

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell me about this tie -- what fabric is it? Shantung?

Yes. Untipped, lightly lined, 3-fold. I bought it at a store called Gabucci in Stockholm. They have the same tie but in other colours on their website where you can see some details.

Moose22

Reaction score
Yes. Untipped, lightly lined, 3-fold. I bought it at a store called Gabucci in Stockholm. They have the same tie but in other colours on their website where you can see some details.

Thanks. Been fascinated with texture recently and am thinking of getting something like this. I used to like raw silk shirts in my younger years, and still love linen, so maybe a tie? Then I see your picture. Total Baader-meinhof.

Actually have a couple of fabric samples on the way including shantung. Your photo makes me think it's very close to the fabric I have in mind.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1072365

@gavrarabba

Do these alternative pics look like too much suppression as well? Or too much skirt flare??

The coat has a gently “nipped” waist but nothing nearing feminine. Like @coldsalmon said, one of the pictures might have been taken against a strong gale of wind causing the flare in the lower parts of the coat.

Perhaps you should use more than one picture as reference before issuing a canonical rebuke ;)

Alan Bee
F39BDD32-62AA-49B3-A687-53DA17607F0B.jpeg
43FC1D6B-BFA5-456E-806E-F0D544447D10.jpeg
D76865DE-E69E-413E-9408-E3103B14DCE9.jpeg

Last edited:

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, too much waist suppression again. Agree with the excess flaring. Also, pants are a tad long in all but the first shot.
@hoodog

Pls see my response above re: skirt flare.

Regarding your excess trouser length comment, pls see below another picture of same fit.

All my suit pants are cut to be worn with braces. I may have skipped the braces this time and used the side adjusters alone, and hence the trousers falling down a little from my natural waist causing some "pooling" at the ankle in some of the pics.

Alan Bee

2D8B7F4D-3B79-4A61-B8F0-AF191E61403A.jpeg

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday, and the weather has gone from snow yesterday afternoon to rain this morning, but with promise of sun by this afternoon. Wanting to end my week on a high note, I'm ignoring my usual caution in dressing for the meteorology, and have opted to give an airing to yet another winter weight suit.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - J. Press
Braces - New & Lingwood
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis
Pocket square - Ashear
Shoes - Harris, via Barney's, Boston
Raincoat - Burberry
Scarf - Thomas Farthing, London
Hat - Christys, via Fortnum & Mason

IMG_8619.JPG

IMG_8614.JPG
IMG_8615.JPG
IMG_8616.JPG
IMG_8617.JPG
IMG_8618.JPG

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your helpful opinions during my search for snow boots earlier this year. I was, at times, universally derided. But today I have a meeting with the CEO in the morning, a snow storm at noon, and a rain storm in the evening, and I am mother$&@!ing prepared. (I am also prepared to be universally derided again.)
View attachment 1072190 View attachment 1072191 View attachment 1072192
Stand tall man! Your tiny deserves a dad to be proud of.
BTW, sharp attire - and I like boots with suits :bigstar:

SGTROCK

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads