• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a little kid, my younger brother and I used to run up to the top of Anderton Court (the only Frank Lloyd Wright building in town) and then run back down again before we had dinner at the Luau (across the street and a block north).

The last time my younger brother was here (three years ago) he didn't want to run up to the top and back down again before we had dinner (at the Grill On The Alley, the Luau is long gone).

The person I was with today also didn't want to run up to the top and back down again either, so we walked up and she took a picture of me near the top (and showing the effects of wearing an old 4 inch wide tie under a sweater vest).

Brooks Brothers herringbone tweed jacket, Pink OCBD shirt, sweater vest, and tie, Polo Ralph Lauren pocket square, L L Bean cord trousers, and Allen-Edmonds for Brooks Brothers black Strands.

Piece-Of-A-Person With A Cookie (and with the Sun glaring in his eyes and holding down the napkin to keep it from blowing away) ) picture.

(Since someone always asks, the cookie is a Snickerdoodle.)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Enjoying the nice weather.

Suit: Oxxford
Tie: Drake's
Shirt: Canali

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I was a little kid, my younger brother and I used to run up to the top of Anderton Court (the only Frank Lloyd Wright building in town) and then run back down again before we had dinner at the Luau (across the street and a block north). The last time my younger brother was here (three years ago) he didn't want to run up to the top and back down again before we had dinner (at the Grill On The Alley, the Luau is long gone). The person I was with today also didn't want to run up to the top and back down again either, so we walked up and she took a picture of me near the top (and showing the effects of wearing an old 4 inch wide tie under a sweater vest).
Brooks Brothers herringbone tweed jacket, Pink OCBD shirt, sweater vest, and tie, Polo Ralph Lauren pocket square, L L Bean cord trousers, and Allen-Edmonds for Brooks Brothers black Strands. Piece-Of-A-Person With A Cookie (and with the Sun glaring in his eyes and holding down the napkin to keep it from blowing away) ) picture.
Nice story about you and your brother. No matter how old we get, there remain those threads of the kid we once were. Another take on piece(s)-of-a-person?

Suit Vicious

Reaction score

Saturday at Lake Starnberg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My summary of conservative business dress: it's a spectrum, not a bright line. The goal is to achieve a result that's interesting and tasteful but inconspicuous in context. Context matters, which is partly why the Italian conservative business dress thread is interesting. Conspicuity varies by industry, region, office, etc. Taking the orange tie as an example, I suppose it's possible that there is a context in which it wasn't conspicuous. But I'd also have to wonder whether there's a role for conservative business dress in that context. (Which is not hate on the tie, just a comment on it as part of conservative business dress.)

I think this is very well said, which leads me to a question far better suited for our more academic minded friends; as I have minimal interest in this type of minutiae.

Is there such a thing as true conservative business dress or is conservative business dress merely a byproduct of the level of C-ness of ones environment?

After what has been drilled into my brain, mostly by Manton, my inclination is that conservative business dress has a true definition, and anything to the left of that is not actually conservative business dress - it is simply what is acceptable in one's workplace/environment. For example, if work norms are shorts and a t-shirt, would one define khakis and a polo shirt as conservative business dress because that is considered conservative when there is a work meeting? I know that's extreme, but it kind of cuts to the meat of the philosophy of the quandary.

:revolve:

:evolve:

Sunday

I cant help but think a light blue shirt would be better here, but I quite like the combo all the same.

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a little kid, my younger brother and I used to run up to the top of Anderton Court (the only Frank Lloyd Wright building in town) and then run back down again before we had dinner at the Luau (across the street and a block north).

The last time my younger brother was here (three years ago) he didn't want to run up to the top and back down again before we had dinner (at the Grill On The Alley, the Luau is long gone).

The person I was with today also didn't want to run up to the top and back down again either, so we walked up and she took a picture of me near the top (and showing the effects of wearing an old 4 inch wide tie under a sweater vest).

Brooks Brothers herringbone tweed jacket, Pink OCBD shirt, sweater vest, and tie, Polo Ralph Lauren pocket square, L L Bean cord trousers, and Allen-Edmonds for Brooks Brothers black Strands.

Piece-Of-A-Person With A Cookie (and with the Sun glaring in his eyes and holding down the napkin to keep it from blowing away) ) picture.

For the record, I would have run up the stairs with you. Also, I absolutely love Bouchon Bakery. I go there quite often. I'm a big fan of their TLC cookie. I don't think I've seen a snickerdoodle cookie in the bakery before. Must be a West coast thing.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, I would have run up the stairs with you. Also, I absolutely love Bouchon Bakery. I go there quite often. I'm a big fan of their TLC cookie. I don't think I've seen a snickerdoodle cookie in the bakery before. Must be a West coast thing.

Thank you.

It's a sloping ramp up to the top of Anderton Court. Here's a picture I took of Anderton Court a few Christmases ago. It's on the 300 block of North Rodeo Drive. When I was a little kid, almost all the little kids used to run up to the top and back down. Now almost all the little kids play with digital devices.

I usually get an oatmeal raisin cookie at Bouchon Bakery, but the last time I got an oatmeal raisin cookie there, it wasn't as good as they had been in the past.

Here's a picture of the oatmeal raisin cookie that wasn't very good and I.

The Snickerdoodle was today's special. It wasn't in the case with the other cookies. It was in a jar on top of the case.

Yes, I do tend to sit in the same place in Beverly-Canon Gardens almost every time I get a cookie at Bouchon Bakery (which is behind the opening over my right shoulder).

blekit

Reaction score
Spent last few days sick at home wearing pyjamas, so I'm really glad to be able to suit up again
smile.gif

* fedora from Polkap
* suit by Krupa & Rzeszutko
* Tyrwhitt
* tie and ps from Poszetka
* Yanko shoes
* bag from Miler Menswear

Feedback is as always appreciated, perhaps I can count on @in stitches spare a moment and write a few words?
smile.gif

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I still have technical problems (apparently others have the same problem, but it is difficult to find the right forum to address this), but I finally found a computer that I actually can upload images from. It happened to be my computer at work so now I have an excuse (invalid of course, but still) to surf SF while at work.

Anyway, some pictures of me drinking Swiss beer to celebrate the arrival of spring here in Geneva.

Jacket: Lander Urquijo
Shirt & Tie: Charvet
PS: Eton
Pants: Berg & Berg
Shoes: Allen Edmonds
Watch: Tusenö
Shades: Garrett Leight

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another rainy day here in NYC.

Suit -BBGF
Shirt & tie - Lewin
PS - Ashear
Cufflinks - Tiffany
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand
Raincoat - Burberry
Scarf - Johnston's of Elgin
Hat - Weatherproof

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is very well said, which leads me to a question far better suited for our more academic minded friends; as I have minimal interest in this type of minutiae.

Is there such a thing as true conservative business dress or is conservative business dress merely a byproduct of the level of C-ness of ones environment?

After what has been drilled into my brain, mostly by Manton, my inclination is that conservative business dress has a true definition, and anything to the left of that is not actually conservative business dress - it is simply what is acceptable in one's workplace/environment. For example, if work norms are shorts and a t-shirt, would one define khakis and a polo shirt as conservative business dress because that is considered conservative when there is a work meeting? I know that's extreme, but it kind of cuts to the meat of the philosophy of the quandary.

revolve.gif

1159[1].gif

I cant help but think a light blue shirt would be better here, but I quite like the combo all the same.
Thanks, I think you hit it. CDB may have a narrow definition but a wide interpretation. Definitely varies by industry, season and organization in my opinion..

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I've been searching for a conservative business dress definition but have come up empty-handed so far. Certainly conservative business dress means more than dark suit, light shirt, dull tie? I would expect it differs across career fields and organizations? Anyway, maybe it's a worthy topic for another forum?

well, i dont know what the definition is outside of SF, but here, its a pretty hard line. search the forum, theres a conservative business dress thread.

Too bad Manton isnt around anymore. guess he's too busy saving us from nuclear meltdown. :nodding:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads