• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easing back in to patterns. Herringbone pants, and striped socks below. Shirt is pink, tie is burgundy, square is cream, jacket is teal.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Cotton Dockers
Really love that fit - cute pic as well

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. It doesn't.
I've been searching for a conservative business dress definition but have come up empty-handed so far. Certainly conservative business dress means more than dark suit, light shirt, dull tie? I would expect it differs across career fields and organizations? Anyway, maybe it's a worthy topic for another forum?

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been searching for a conservative business dress definition but have come up empty-handed so far. Certainly conservative business dress means more than dark suit, light shirt, dull tie? I would expect it differs across career fields and organizations? Anyway, maybe it's a worthy topic for another forum?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/230619/conservative business dress-waywrn-an-experiment
http://www.styleforum.net/t/379713/italian-conservative business dress

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hickey Freeman made-to-someone-else's-measure DB, charcoal brown
TM Lewin
Paul Stuart tie, it is rust and olive rather than the brighter color showing in the picture
Meermin double monks in burgundy

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually, conservative business dress, around here anyways, means as conservative as possible. Boring, sedate, nothing that stands out. Think solid navy or dark gray suit, white shirt, dark solid brown without obvious texture like grenadine has, black shoes, no pocket square, and if there is a watch, a thin dress watch, not rose or yellow gold, on a leather strap.

Now, I am sure that in certain industries such attire is not required to be considered dressed conservatively, but here, that is what strict conservative business dress means. At least by most counts on SF.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, dudes! Yeah, @ericgereghty
 I'm not usually a big tie clip guy, but I literally only wear it so my tie doesn't fall in my dinner because I am a slob.

I really don't get the anti-tie clip caucus on here. The clip you used is discreet and above all functional,'especially for a wedding where food is likely to be consumed. And it looks as if, like me, you deploy it low enough so it's not even visible with your jacket closed so hardly some kind of ostentatious blingy statement. Keep on keeping on with it I say!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/t/230619/conservative business dress-waywrn-an-experiment
http://www.styleforum.net/t/379713/italian-conservative business dress
Thanks. Might take me a while to work through those.
patch[1].gif

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My summary of conservative business dress: it's a spectrum, not a bright line. The goal is to achieve a result that's interesting and tasteful but inconspicuous in context. Context matters, which is partly why the Italian conservative business dress thread is interesting. Conspicuity varies by industry, region, office, etc. Taking the orange tie as an example, I suppose it's possible that there is a context in which it wasn't conspicuous. But I'd also have to wonder whether there's a role for conservative business dress in that context. (Which is not hate on the tie, just a comment on it as part of conservative business dress.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads