• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
English fabric, Sicilian tailor

For those who like such conversation, here's a closeup of the square.

Sometimes I forgo a square with three-patch pocket jackets, but this one didn't seem either glaringly out of place or overly matchy. Thoughts? @TweedyProf @Pliny @Mr. Six

Looks great. That fabric is fantastic and the tailoring looks excellent. I think the square works well. The problem with many patterned squares paired with patterned jackets--at least to my eye--is that the density of pattern ends up being too similar. So you end up with too much visual information. Here, the figures on the square are spaced more widely than the checks on the jacket, so the patterns don't step on each other. And the green and red in the square play off the green and red in the jacket, while the navy on the square gives the square a bit of visual weight that keeps it quieter than the jacket, which it needs to be. No square would, of course, be fine. But I think this square adds to the whole.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
No pocket square but I really like textures and patterns. Not sure whether this is excessive?

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Chunky knit weather today:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RE: The PS of UC.

Overall I like it, the colors and scale all work. Although it does look to me to get a little lost against the SC where the swath of green is, which is certainly better than poorly standing out.

Also, UC, the saturation level in pic looks high, maybe that is it. Was the color adjusted at all?

Lastly, if that is the Drakes square I think it is, I have the same one and its one of my faves.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, shirtsnob. Shirt is Borrelli.

Hey, Stitchy, good to see you here again. I actually turned down the saturation quite a bit. I took the picture in the light and camera compensated by making everything overly saturated. Colors are mostly true. I didn't want the pocket square to be completely lost, but I did want it to somewhat blend in with the color scheme. Hence a slightly darker green.

Good eye, it is a Drakes :fistbump:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Awesome afternoon. Warm and sunny. Winter storm trashed the Cherry Blossoms, though.

Suit: Paul Stuart
Tie: Seaward and Stearn
Shirt: Ledbury

Last edited:

Brovsko

Reaction score
Weather is back to normal here in the Northeast, which makes me very happy, although you probably can't tell from the expression on my face. This will be my Friday Challenge entry.

- Brovsko

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey, Stitchy, good to see you here again. I actually turned down the saturation quite a bit. I took the picture in the light and camera compensated by making everything overly saturated. Colors are mostly true. I didn't want the pocket square to be completely lost, but I did want it to somewhat blend in with the color scheme. Hence a slightly darker green.

Good eye, it is a Drakes :fistbump:

Nice to finally have some more time to be around, and even nicer to receive a warm welcome back. :)

So, there goes my theory for saturation. Since I have the square, I could tell that the colors there were pretty much right, but thought maybe the gold hue of the tie and SC were overly saturated. Lovely to be 180 degrees wrong.

In any case, given your strategy, I would say you succeeded to the maximum.

:fistbump:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weather is back to normal here in the Northeast, which makes me very happy, although you probably can't tell from the expression on my face. This will be my Friday Challenge entry.

Nicely presented Brovsko. Change pants (and socks) to grey and shirt to blue and you're good to go. Navy trews are almost invariably 'wrong' in the MC tradition, and that makes them look wrong. White shirts are better used sparingly, and with some exceptions, for more formal fits.

SYCSYC

Reaction score
Today, not accessorizinga lot has I was one of the speakers at a professional event.
Suit is a SuitSupply La Spalla full canvassed. Incredible drape of the cloth!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads