• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heading to a meeting, but my initial reaction is that outside of the square, which I do not think works there, everything else is pretty much spot on. Will take a closer look later this evening. :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I feel like I could use a darker PS (and a better camera, the color is cream). @in stitches
@dalevy Ok, so took a closer look. Only have three feedback points. 1. While some might argue against a blue tie and a blue SC, I think it works well here. The tie is significantly darker than the SC and the large medallions with green and maroon provide sufficient contrast against the lighter blue SC. Going back to the previous conversation regarding pairing neat print ties with SCs, as I said then, with a larger print neat I have no qualms pairing a neat with a SC. So, just a preemptive strike against those who may take issue with your tie pairing. Also worth noting, imo, that you did a great job varying the texture between shirt, tie, pants, and SC. Well done, sir. 2. As far as the square goes, again going back to a previous conversation, I think a plain white TV fold would have been the safest choice and would be better than what you chose. Additionally, because your SC/trou/tie/shirt combo is on the formal side of such an ensemble, I think a white square would be just fine, despite its formality. Another option would be one of the Drakes style large motif squares or a large madder paisley, either one with colors that provide a little interplay with the SC and/or tie, but mostly colors of a complimentary nature. Just the right square of one of those varieties would probably have made the whole fit a home run, imo. 3. There is no sleeve showing past your left SC arm. I will assume that is just because your cuff got caught up on a watch or something because the length of the SC arm looks pretty much apropos. That's basically it. All in all, my opinion hasn't changed much since my initial impression that it's a really good fit in need of a better square.

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dalevy

Ok, so took a closer look. Only have three feedback points.

1. While some might argue against a blue tie and a blue SC, I think it works well here. The tie is significantly darker than the SC and the large medallions with green and maroon provide sufficient contrast against the lighter blue SC. Going back to the previous conversation regarding pairing neat print ties with SCs, as I said then, with a larger print neat I have no qualms pairing a neat with a SC. So, just a preemptive strike against those who may take issue with your tie pairing.

Also worth noting, imo, that you did a great job varying the texture between shirt, tie, pants, and SC. Well done, sir.

2. As far as the square goes, again going back to a previous conversation, I think a plain white TV fold would have been the safest choice and would be better than what you chose. Additionally, because your SC/trou/tie/shirt combo is on the formal side of such an ensemble, I think a white square would be just fine, despite its formality.

Another option would be one of the Drakes style large motif squares or a large madder paisley, either one with colors that provide a little interplay with the SC and/or tie, but mostly colors of a complimentary nature. Just the right square of one of those varieties would probably have made the whole fit a home run, imo.

3. There is no sleeve showing past your left SC arm. I will assume that is just because your cuff got caught up on a watch or something because the length of the SC arm looks pretty much apropos.

That's basically it. All in all, my opinion hasn't changed much since my initial impression that it's a really good fit in need of a better square.

Thanks for the observations. I will check out some of those style pocket squares, although it seems a bit of a trick to pick out something that has interplay or is complementary without being too similar.

On the sleeve length, you're right and I didn't notice. I think it was caught.

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It rained, for some time...

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the observations. I will check out some of those style pocket squares, although it seems a bit of a trick to pick out something that has interplay or is complementary without being too similar. On the sleeve length, you're right and I didn't notice. I think it was caught.
Most welcome. It sounds harder than it is. :) Meaning, you might want a PS that is mostly shades of brown in background but has some maroon, green, and/or blue in it as a small portion of the motif/paisley. That way, overall, it provides contrast, but the small bit of interplay just makes it easier for teh brain to digest that it all makes sense. At least it makes it easier for my brain. Here are two examples from fits of mine from the past. If I may be so pretentious. One has more contrast and the other has more interplay, but they both have a bit of both. Hope that helps.
Beautiful outfits lately gents! A lot of browns and textures today, and last outing for this winterish suit.
[COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
Love the monochrome brown, but very much do not love the shoes there. Aside from shape, they are way too beat up to jive with the slick look of everything else. Sorry. =[ But I do love the rest!!

Last edited:

SprezzaTrash

Reaction score
Until I reach the level of income (or fame) where I can buy bespoke, I'm going to keep thrifting and finding stuff on eBay! Here's another amazing find: three bespoke Southwick suits for $75! The details mark the suit form the late 1960s to the early 1970s.

Pinstripe suit (eBay), custom shirt from Natty Shirts, foulard tie (thrifted), AE loafers (eBay)

*This suit was tailored first. The pants came back too slightly too tight/short and were subsequently let out to be like the following suits.

Three piece brown twill suit (eBay), Massimo Dutti Shirt, 1930's tie (thrifted), Suede bluchers from Zara

Tweed Suit (eBay), Custom OCBD from Natty Shirts, Vintage Block repp stripe tie (thrifted), Johnston Murphy wingtips (eBay)

As you can see, all the suits were made for the same person and all have the same style (which is kinda-not-really-semi-reminiscent of Liverano in my opinion). Each of the suits are 3-roll-2, half lined, high rise, and are ivy-style especially due to the lack of jacket darts. The listing barely had any measurements, so it was a gamble but totally worth it thanks to my tailor! Ruben is a miracle worker.

You can read more about the purchase and the tailoring on my blog!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads