• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Tibor @jcmeyer

Pretty sure that concave sloping shoulder expression ending in the high cut neck is called 'pagoda'-style.

PS: And that jacket looks excellent.

Last edited:

LAluck5

Reaction score

I did some investigation last night, and I am now in full agreement with you and Mr. Six. I retract my previous statement.
Looking forward to the experiment results!

Clicked the link, and, yes, those do look even darker irl than in the pic. Still think black would be better but those are plenty good with the fit.

- - -

@chocsosa & @sebastian mcfox, great stuff.

@laluck5, sebastian's tie is a great example of a reddish tie with dots that would have been better with your fit than the tie you had. Although the texture makes the tie less formal, and although its not quite dark enough to truly be sedate, still, the background color, dot color, and dot size are all more sedate than the tie you had on. Its even better in his fit because pretty much all of the elements in his fit (we will get to this momentarily) are examples of more casual, formal wear. But that tie still would have been fine with your fit, definitely a step up from what you had. Take it one step further, a darker maroon without any slubbiness to the material, and even slightly smaller dots, and that would really be what you would want with your fit of yesterday,

Worth noting, I think, that sebastian's fit is really exemplary in that it manages to pull together elements that are both less formal, the suit, tie (mostly), and shoes (they look a bit too bright and reddish in the pics to be truly formal) and elements that are very formal, the white shirt, especially so that it looks to have no texture (broadcloth?), and PS, and still be spot on.

The more obvious choice in that fit would have been a blue shirt with some texture and a more whimsical PS. And yet, as a crisp summery look, the crisp white shirt and PS work great and actually, I believe, end up looking better than would the aforementioned shirt/PS options that he did not choose. Its quite the study in execution when you think about it really. I mean, its so well done and natural that at first I didnt even recognize it. Its brilliant.

To me his entire outfit is in perfect unison and is a great spring summer look. I'm just now getting into a diverse range of ties because I'm learning more about fabric. I always hesitated buying solid silk ties because I always thought of silk as a shiny fabric that only politicians wear. But I've learned from this forum and particularly @Claghornhow incredibly nice and diverse a solid grenadine could look.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Tibor @jcmeyer

Pretty sure that concave sloping shoulder expression ending in the high cut neck is called 'pagoda'-style.

PS: And that jacket looks excellent.

I was going to reply that I thought pagoda shoulders had more roping as a mainstay but a quick search 'round the netz leads me to believe the two can be used together but are their own independent things.

Here is a straight-on look at the same jacket...

And another made by the same tailor but with 1cm wider shoulders...

Both appear to have a less severe swoop looking dead-on, so part of it is probably the photo angle. Same grey slightly turned:

A DB also made by Kubo on the friend that took me there on my trip to Japan - same basic shape.

And here's a pic from some random blog that said it was a pagoda shoulder. Does look very similar to mine in the pic I first posted - although maybe a bit more severe.

So maybe it is pagoda; just never thought about it in that way.

And thanks for the kind words!

SYCSYC

Reaction score
^

Anyway, all very nice @jcmeyer !

Do you prefer the broader shoulders on your kubo jacket? The grey one's shlouders fit incredibly well in my opinion.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Michael81 that's such an interesting looking jacket. I'm probably not the only one who wishes more of it showed in your picture.

Thanks, @Roycru . It's actually my favourite jacket. But it probably won't feature in any future posts, since the response to that one was a near universal 'meh'.

In any case, I'm wearing this tonight:

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^

Anyway, all very nice @jcmeyer
 !

Do you prefer the broader shoulders on your kubo jacket? The grey one's shlouders fit incredibly well in my opinion.

I go back and forth depending on the day, but overall yes I think I prefer the slightly broader shoulders. Will likely stick with that width for the next order, whenever that happens to be.

:cheers:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The tie is a 9-fold, unlined cashmere tie from Viola Milano’s Alexander Kraft Collection. Beautifully made, but not very easy to get a good knot.

SC: Canali
Shirt: Zegna
Tie: Viola Milano
PS: Drake's
Pants: Incotex
Shoes: Alden

blekit

Reaction score
Today. Moods of Spring in action

* flatcap from Miler Menswear
* jacket and shirt from Suitsupply
* tie from Embassy of Elegance
* ps from Poszetka
* pants from Benevento
* Yanko shoes

Feedback as always welcome
smile.gif

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From yesterday

Ah, I see you're wearing the Emperor's New shoes. Thoughts on the brand?

]

[COLOR=444444]The tie is a 9-fold, unlined cashmere tie from Viola Milano’s Alexander Kraft Collection. Beautifully made, but not very easy to get a good knot.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=444444]SC: Canali[/COLOR]
[COLOR=444444]Shirt: Zegna[/COLOR]
[COLOR=444444]Tie: Viola Milano[/COLOR]
[COLOR=444444]PS: Drake's[/COLOR]
[COLOR=444444]Pants: Incotex[/COLOR]
[COLOR=444444]Shoes: Alden[/COLOR]

I always thought the 9-fold was a #menswear unicorn. I guess it's more of a Frankenstein.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads