• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, mom, no cardigan. For the record, I'm cold and I blame Shugz.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then wear an undershirt?
That denim shirt looks out of place. Some people can make it work, I think I've seen butchy work a lighter blue denim or maybe chambray shirt into a business outfit but that looks too dark and too casual to be worn with a jacket and tie.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Then wear an undershirt?
That denim shirt looks out of place. Some people can make it work, I think I've seen butchy work a lighter blue denim or maybe chambray shirt into a business outfit but that looks too dark and too casual to be worn with a jacket and tie.

I am wearing an undershirt. I find nothing business about a cashmere knit tie and a tweed jacket. The pants are dark olive moleskin. Shoes are suede Norwegians. Both far from business as well IMO. I can see the high constrast being an issue for some. Don't mind it myself.

doomx

Reaction score
@An Acute Style great casual look. Where is the denim shirt from? I have been looking for a denim or thicker chambray shirt thy can be worn with a tie and I haven't found many options.

I think if the jacket was a bit darker, it would work even better, but this is nice and off the beaten path.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@An Acute Style great casual look. Where is the denim shirt from? I have been looking for a denim or thicker chambray shirt thy can be worn with a tie and I haven't found many options.

I think if the jacket was a bit darker, it would work even better, but this is nice and off the beaten path.

Thanks. The shirt is from Brooks Brothers. I got it a few years ago.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My great grandfather was a sailor and later in life managed to become the captain of his own ship. He travelled around the world and he was in New York in the early 50s, soon after the UN headquarters had been moved there. He bought these cufflinks with the caption “UN - We Believe”.
As a sailor he had experienced WWII first hand (even if Sweden was neutral the Swedish merchant navy was regularly the target of attacks, mainly from submarines. Some surely intentional, in other cases probably just because the ships were mistaken for other nations’ boats). I don’t think that my great grandfather was that interested in politics, but he was convinced that the UN was a good idea.
My great grandfather died before I was born but I got these cufflinks from my great grandmother when I was a teenager. At that time I had no ambitions to become a diplomat, let alone did I know that I would actually be working with UN related issues. The cufflinks are not very valuable. It’s not real gold and I think they made a lot of them. But they certainly have a special meaning for me.
Suit: Isaia
Shirt: Marchesan MTM
Tie: Vanda
PS: Battisti
Shoes: EG

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, mom, no cardigan. For the record, I'm cold and I blame Shugz.

I like this a heck of a lot.

Could not disagree more.

Hal Freeman

Reaction score
I don't know why, but white based shirts with wide stripes give me a headache on what to pair with them. Any advice??

P-of-a-P today:

Sorry for low-quality photo. Room had bad lighting and was in a rush.

Thank you,

Hal

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Hal Freeman
Most colours would work with that shirt, just remember pattern scale and enough contrast. The latter is the problem with that outfit you're wearing on the pic.It give an overall too dark impression; any lighter colour - even on the brighter side - would be better. If of course you're not dressed like that for a funeral.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads