• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the 18th Century, Midshipmen were sometimes called "reefers" (which some might consider better than being called a "snotty") and the coats they wore were sometimes called "reefer coats".  (See the book "Rattlin, The Reefer", for an example.)

In the 18th Century, pilots wore jackets called "pilot coats", sometimes shortened to "p coats".  (See several of Captain Marryat's books for examples.)

Somehow, over the years, p coats have become peacoats (although they have nothing to do with peas) and are now worn not just by pilots as a mark of their office, but by all sorts of people, both at sea and far from the sea.

In the 18th Century, reefer coats were shorter than pilot coats.

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/peacoat-guide-history-sizing-buy/

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Great article, thanks for sharing. And while we're wandering slightly off track, I've got to say that Monty looks quite the bad ass here with Winston.

Duly Noted

Reaction score

Spoiler: it's for soccer. As an Arsenal fan, lord knows alcohol helps lol.

A man in a bar at 8 in the morning with a drink in his hand has a problem. But a man in a bar at 8 am watching football with a drink in his hand is a Premiership football fan. Gooners! Arsenal 'til I die!

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A man in a bar at 8 in the morning with a drink in his hand has a problem. But a man in a bar at 8 am watching football with a drink in his hand is a Premiership football fan. Gooners! Arsenal 'til I die!

I'm glad you didn't say 6, because, speaking from experience, a man in a bar at 6 (at least in LA) cannot have a drink in his hand ha!

Let's just hope that they break out of their recent malaise as 2017 hits!

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Happy Holidays, my dudes. Hope you are all well.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More "new toys" today from the private sale at Paul Stuart - jacket and boots.

Sports jacket - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt, tie, PS, corduroys - BB
Boots - Paul Stuart
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Scarf - Johnston's of Elgin
Cap - BB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads