• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blekit

Reaction score
Today. The weather made me reach for one of my more autumn suits way earlier than I predicted...

da34da075817b22cc55e2187934d2259.jpg

* Suitsupply
* Osovski shirt
* Embassy of Elegance tie
* ps from Poszetka
* Yanko shoes

d5079a75e798f8430c5e1be8fa96fc46.jpg

ef0d784a353025eb1b3dd648e6bf90a3.jpg

c0772f20136769996e7a9a518a8c0aa0.jpg

The right shirt sleeve got caught up somehow and flap got tucked inside the pocket which I noticed only after the photo was taken.

Epicure

Reaction score
Thanks! It's made by Passotti with a single stick tiger-eye maple stick and a blue camouflage canopy. I've put some pictures up at http://gezzasmenswear.tumblr.com/post/134458262987/new-umbrella-by-pasotti-you-can-read-more-in

I get them from various places. This one is from Uniqlo as are a number of others, I have a couple from Berg and Berg and my orange cardigan is from J Lindeberg. I have a few shawl collared cardigans as well (two from Hackett and one from The Armoury).

Thanks for the info, Gerry. Out of the brands you mention for the non-shawl collared cardigans, it looks like Uniqlo is the only one that offers a variety of colours. Seems there’s quite a bit of varied opinion about Uniqlo here on the forum too. While I can appreciate that high prices don’t automatically buy quality, Uniqlo’s low prices are cause for concern, and hesitation.

How much wear have you had from your Uniqlo cardigans? Currently I’m trying to weigh up whether paying substantially more for knitwear, say from a reputable English maker, is worth it. All the knitwear I currently own is of a quality (lack thereof perhaps!) such as one might expect from Country Road, made in China, and does pill to a larger or lesser extent over the course of a season of wear. Of the knitwear I currently own, none of it has worn so badly that I feel the need to throw it out. After a quick removal of the pilling, once or twice a season perhaps, all my knits basically still look new. Maybe this is because I’m fairly light on my clothes and I hardly ever wash or dry clean my knitwear (personally I believe this is a factor that contributes most to the demise of even quality knitwear, though I am only hypothesising since I’ve never owned ‘the good stuff’). In fact, so far I’m careful enough that airing and brushing has done the trick, and I have knits going between three and five seasons strong with this regime. Regular rotation probably helps too, but I think only to a small extent, since my collection is small.

Anyway, while the pilling I mention is far from intolerable, and it seems I can still get several seasons out of cheap merino knits (which keeps me very happy at the price point I’m paying), does higher quality knitwear represent better value in the longer term? My feeling is that I’d want it to last at least 10 years to justify paying 2, 3 or even 4+ times as much depending on the exact makes compared. Maybe my expectations would be lower if I’d not already found that I can get a lot out a cheap garment.

So, to cut to the chase, given my lack of experience, I wondered if you could offer any advice, or for that matter, whether any other veteran wearers of knitwear would care to share their experience?

Last edited:

Epicure

Reaction score

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice boutonniere, and overall, I find the elegance of this fit exceptionally pleasing to the eye!

Thanks! The boutonniere is in fact a real flower. Carnation maybe? I dunno - I only know the names of two flowers: roses, and flowers that aren't roses.

Yesterday it was a lovely day to be out and about in SE England; the warmest of the year so far. A good day to break out a couple of little pressies from Mrs K - lovely floral tie from @Tom Miler and washed leather folio case by Alvaro:

That's a lovely @Tom Miler tie! Your missus chose well.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The boutonniere is in fact a real flower. Carnation maybe? I dunno - I only know the names of two flowers: roses, and flowers that aren't roses.

That's a lovely @Tom Miler tie! Your missus chose well.

Thanks mate. My missus had a little op on her foot earlier in the year, which meant my spending some time at the 'sick bed' and driving her around too. She has since been rewarding me with a few nice pressies
smile.gif

I like your flower whatever it is!

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@blekit your best fit yet. The force is strong in you, young Jedi!

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, to cut to the chase, given my lack of experience, I wondered if you could offer any advice, or for that matter, whether any other veteran wearers of knitwear would care to share their experience?

There's also https://www.woolovers.com.au/mens/cardigans which is pretty good value but I've had to size down with their stuff. I forgot to mention that I have a John Smedley cardigan as well and it's noticeably finer than the others. That said, I don't have any pilling issues with any of my cardigans. There have been several complaints about the quality of Uniqlo cardigans over on the Aussie thread but I've had no problems with them. I have a lambswool cardigan from Uniqlo that I regularly wear and haven't noticed any significant pilling. I tend to wear mine, air them overnight, fold them and then put them away. Coupled with a large rotation, it means that I get a LOT of wear from my knitwear,

Others with a more reasonable rotation would be in a better position to advise you on this.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today. The weather made me reach for one of my more autumn suits way earlier than I predicted...

da34da075817b22cc55e2187934d2259.jpg

* Suitsupply
* Osovski shirt
* Embassy of Elegance tie
* ps from Poszetka
* Yanko shoes

d5079a75e798f8430c5e1be8fa96fc46.jpg

ef0d784a353025eb1b3dd648e6bf90a3.jpg

c0772f20136769996e7a9a518a8c0aa0.jpg

The right shirt sleeve got caught up somehow and flap got tucked inside the pocket which I noticed only after the photo was taken.

Nice suit,well tailored......I think you have benefited more with a white shirt white PS

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a VERY long day yesterday (up at 4:00 AM, and at the office at 5:30 AM, and there until 5: 30 PM), I'm back to a normal schedule. It's still warm here in NYC, though not as bad as it has been - a slight respite from 90+ F heat and humidity.

Please note that the Crusty Crouch will now be performed on Crusty's couch - the armchairs normally employed for that pose are at the refinishers/re-upholsterers, in prep for the move to the new apartment. Hope that you can deal with the change.

Sports jacket - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Lewin (linen)
PS - J. S. Blank
Trews - BB
Boots - Paul Smith

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crusty, you were talking about this "new apartment" nearly a year ago! This must be the most protracted relocation ever...

mc2k

Reaction score
Nice fit @mr-six. I have a similar SC as yours in tropical wool weight- what other tie colors would you suggest? I have done it with brown knit in the past ( SC worn only once) but that seems just too easy. What do you think of pairing the jacket with olive chinos in a casual setting? Many thanks in advance for your suggestions
1f60e.png

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crusty, you were talking about this "new apartment" nearly a year ago! This must be the most protracted relocation ever...

It took seven months from contract to closing (contract signed in May, closed in December), and it's taking several months for the renovations to be finished (including changing contractors). Allegedly, it's all going to be done by sometime in August - we shall see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads