• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a Beautiful 4th of July weekend!!!, and so are the linen pents...

Quite a colorful ensemble! Nice lavender sport coat, not a color I see very often other than in dress shirts.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@blekit your jacket is flagrantly too short. it doesn't look good. i would also prefer a white ps and for your trousers to be a shade lighter.
It doesn't seem too short to me. How much lower should it be?

cezinho

Reaction score

Luger

Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 inch would probably be sufficient
I don't know. I think his jacket is acceptable. I've always avoided Thom Browne-short but some of my jackets are the same length of @blekit ' s recent post. Brooks Brothers has a "Cambridge" fit that is a bit short but quite nice.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apologies for ultra-meh knot
LL
Apology not accepted. Looks like you tied that with your feet. JK. Not feeling any of this other than the shirt. Great collar. The patterns are all fairly close in scale. The burgundy/olive square clashes with the red tie IMO.
Huh? The suit is a herringbone with an accent pinstripe, the tie is a neat, and the hank is a large-scale pattern. None of them is similar in scale to another. The tie and hank are nearly the same color, but apparently the combination of satin-y and matte textures makes this hard to see in the photo. As for the knot, it looked much better when I tied it (but not good). Short of re-tying it at work, there was nothing to be done at the point I took the picture. I appreciate your principled objection. :)

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Huh? The suit is a herringbone with an accent pinstripe, the tie is a neat, and the hank is a large-scale pattern. None of them is similar in scale to another. The tie and hank are nearly the same color, but apparently the combination of satin-y and matte textures makes this hard to see in the photo.

As for the knot, it looked much better when I tied it (but not good). Short of re-tying it at work, there was nothing to be done at the point I took the picture. I appreciate your principled objection. :)

I'm not going to photoshop it, but the suit has alternating colored stripes. The distance between same colored stripes is the same as the distance between each medallion in the tie. The square may be a large scale paisley, but in the pocket their are several micro paisley/neat patterns going on that are about the same size as the pinstripe and tie pattern. In particular, the band going from bottom left to top right in the square.

Nonetheless, I know I've mentioned this before, but I have retied my tie at work on many occasions. I think it's worth the trouble.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...distance between same colored stripes is the same as the distance between each medallion in the tie. The square may be a large scale paisley, but in the pocket their are several micro paisley/neat patterns going on that are about the same size as the pinstripe and tie pattern. In particular, the band going from bottom left...[etc]

This is hard core.

Tom Miler

Reaction score
Now that combo is a bit busy but I like it anyway :D Meet my new mohair suit made of vintage Scabal coupon. It is not as light as the Reed & Tailor kid mohair DB I showed a few days ago but the it still gives a lot of comfort when worn in high temperatures. I also wear a salmon shirt, which might be slightly inspired by Boardwalk Empire ;) I thought the color would be much more difficult to wear but it seems that when framed by proper color combination, it is not nearly as extravagant as I though it would be. The tie is quite busy but I think that this kind of big patterns and ornaments are coming back and soon we will see more :) Well... at least I bought some more fabrics like that for Miler Menswear. Of course contrasting horn buttons are a must in the summer ;)

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New tie today from @hnwhite , a gorgeous 50oz Macclesfield print silk. New H N White square, too. The square is actually predominantly a lovely blue that picks up the blue in the medallions on the tie, but it photographed rather darker than real life, sadly. You'll just have to take my word for it!

Jacket: Brooks Brothers
Shirt: Proper Cloth
Tie & Square: H. N. White
Trousers: Hemrajani
Shoes: Carmina

TexJake

Reaction score
I'm glad I took these pictures today, this illustrates to me better than looking in the mirror that my jacket is, in fact, too short.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads