• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, the idealized classical statuary.
Are they really producing clothing made to fit the average body type?
No, lately here in Europe they're not; the situation is desolate especially in Northern Italy and on the Balkan peninsula.
The shops look like a copy, each selling low quality stuff for "young" and skinny. For a mature woman (the body changes as we age) it has become difficult to find a shirt or a gown. Mature men and women are those most willing to spend, having most means (EU), yet, they cannot buy what they want. 15 years ago it was difficult not to spend too much, now it's impossible to buy what you need.
It was not a problem to get a tailored suit for a normal price, now, you cannot find a quality suit off the rack for a decent price (only high end brands producing for export left).
The textile industry in the Southern Europe is in ruins. Now the Spanish are saving the situation, offering modified suits in Berlin for a small surcharge, wonderful selection of materials.

if I find clothes made according to the standardized industry measures they fit perfectly, if not, I have problems, as with the new Levi's cuts.

Well, in a certain sense clothes are mostly produced for the people who buy the most clothes. Maybe that is skinny adolescents, maybe not. But that really isn't the point. The point is that most clothing isn't made for the highly athletic body type because not many people are highly athletic. Whatever the reason, that's just the way it is. Btw, if you don't mind, what part of the Balkans are you from? I've been to many Balkan countries and enjoyed myself very much.

Nikolaus

Reaction score
Old Greeks had their action heros, just like we do. But that doesn't mean everyone needs to look like Connan (boy, am I old...)
Conan.
fing02[1].gif
Anyway, anyone who is a runner or hiker has likely had problems with straight leg jeans. Big calves. I also discovered that with Etro suits as the legs were severly tapered.
Conan; that is over the top
mwink[1].gif
I mean, personally I would like to avoid looking like a 4 door closet
biggrin.gif

I sprint run and I need muscular legs to propel me towards those 10m/sec
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
of course I can also jump like in those movies, and kick to plaster the opponent into the wall.

Last edited:

Nikolaus

Reaction score
Btw, if you don't mind, what part of the Balkans are you from? I've been to many Balkan countries and enjoyed myself very much.
I'm not from the Balkans :))
we're living in Northern Italy, Slovenia (ex Yugoslavia) is close by.

by origin (blood) we're from Northern Europe.

Nikolaus

Reaction score
The Old Europe is rather complicated; people have the citizenship of the country where they live (sometimes for a few generations) but they are part of another nation, sharing the values, habits and ideas of their blood and not the place they are only paper-tied to.
It makes all the difference here; century after century, from times immemorial.

The textile industry in Italy has really gone down the hill; you have entire regions that look now like ghost towns in American Western movies. A decade ago, these same towns were producing whatever you could have wished for.
Similar with Slovenia; only worse; they had 4 shoe factories, a highly skilled textile industry (producing even for world known brands). The reformed communist holding the power have financially squeezed the companies till the ruin (financial levers through state owned banks). Nothing is left.

Last edited:

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Old Europe is rather complicated; people have the citizenship of the country where they live (sometimes for a few generations) but they are part of another nation, sharing the values, habits and ideas of their blood and not the place they are only paper-tied to. 
It makes all the difference here; century after century, from times immemorial. 

The textile industry in Italy has really gone down the hill; you have entire regions that look now like ghost towns in American Western movies. A decade ago, these same towns were producing whatever you could have wished for. 
Similar with Slovenia; only worse; they had 4 shoe factories, a highly skilled textile industry (producing even for world known brands). The reformed communist holding the power have financially squeezed the companies till the ruin (financial levers through state owned banks). Nothing is left.

You probably mean Slovenian factories such as Mura? They did make decent suits. I know, I'm from Yugoslavia (Serbia, to be precise).

Nikolaus

Reaction score
You probably mean Slovenian factories such as Mura? They did make decent suits. I know, I'm from Yugoslavia (Serbia, to be precise).
Mura was the biggest. (when the reformed communists sucked out all the money, it was sold to a British investor who ruined what was left).
Labod, Rašica, Almira, Svilanit, Beti, Lisca, Polzela, Prebold, and other smaller ones.

Italians have other problems; their business used the money to celebrate itself, instead of investing. Carrera jeans, Rifle, Benetton, Missoni,..

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mura was the biggest. (when the reformed communists sucked out all the money, it was sold to a British investor who ruined what was left).
Labod, Rašica, Almira, Svilanit, Beti, Lisca, Polzela, Prebold, and other smaller ones. 

Italians have other problems; their business used the money to celebrate itself, instead of investing. Carrera jeans, Rifle, Benetton, Missoni,..

Oh man, I still have two Rasica sweaters. They have to be at least 15 years old....
1f609.png

Nikolaus

Reaction score
Oh man, I still have two Rasica sweaters. They have to be at least 15 years old....
1f609.png
You're not the only one; their knitted pullovers were just phenomenal; not even the brands selling for 400$ have such designs.
Especially the pieces made in small series for export were really high quality and highly designed.
I have some 8 pullovers left :))) golden reserves :D

G

Griffindork

Cross-post from the French bespoke thread: for casual friday, an Cifonelli military-style jacket, panta pants, spacca napoli tie and koji suzuki shoes.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Andy57 how do you like Rumisu's squares? They look pretty interesting from what I've seen.

@patrickBOOTH perfect. Awesome lapels.

@daddyblitz As uncomfortable as I feel referring to your as daddy anything while I type this, don't be offended by Caustic's reply. He's a very brusque in his critique, but he's not wrong. Your rig is VERRRYYYY tight, to the point where it does not look comfortable. I have suits that are slim, though looser than yours, which feel uncomfortable doing anything in, up to and including breathing. I don't know your measurements, but you're probably bigger than me, and I cannot do RTW in any exceptions, without spending a bundle in alterations just to make the fit somewhat decent. I think MTM would suit you well
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

@agjiffy Not a huge fan of the jacket (everything else is glorious), but I LOVE that you consider this casual!

daddyblitz

Reaction score

@Andy57
how do you like Rumisu's squares? They look pretty interesting from what I've seen.

I rather ignore him as he reminds me of my gf when she's on her days.
As far as the suit goes ,even if i go up a size my bicep section will still look the same,believe or not the suit does not fit uncomfortable at all,which is weird bc it does look tight, however i agree MTM is a good/best option.

@patrickBOOTH
 perfect. Awesome lapels. 

@daddyblitz
 As uncomfortable as I feel referring to your as daddy anything while I type this, don't be offended by Caustic's reply. He's a very brusque in his critique, but he's not wrong. Your rig is VERRRYYYY tight, to the point where it does not look comfortable. I have suits that are slim, though looser than yours, which feel uncomfortable doing anything in, up to and including breathing. I don't know your measurements, but you're probably bigger than me, and I cannot do RTW in any exceptions, without spending a bundle in alterations just to make the fit somewhat decent. I think MTM would suit you well 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

@agjiffy
 Not a huge fan of the jacket (everything else is glorious), but I LOVE that you consider this casual!

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If someone who critiques you more bluntly than you like is going to be viewed as though he's having a period, I think you're probably not in the best place. Wearing a suit here isn't going to get mindless exultation (instagram sure will). Most folks here critique the parts (of which fit is included) that go into the entire fit.

Caustic is more blunt than I am, but your reaction (and childish name calling) to his perfectly legitimate critique is in rather poor taste.

Nikolaus

Reaction score
If someone who critiques you more bluntly than you like is going to be viewed as though he's having a period, I think you're probably not in the best place. Wearing a suit here isn't going to get mindless exultation (instagram sure will). Most folks here critique the parts (of which fit is included) that go into the entire fit.
Caustic is more blunt than I am, but your reaction (and childish name calling) to his perfectly legitimate critique is in rather poor taste.
I'm not going into this specific theme; however, I might add that there are far worse things being thrown around (by some Asians) and the gentlemen policing go for a hiding.

daddyblitz

Reaction score

I'm not going into this specific theme; however, I might add that there are far worse things being thrown around (by some Asians) and the gentlemen policing go for a hiding. 

He implied once that he did not like the fit ,Isaid ok.
I continued to a have a conversation with another gentleman, and he butted in and , kept talking nonsence (then dont wear it) etc again when i was not talking to him,im sorry but there is a limit to some things to say ive been following this page and thread for a while enough to know im not the only one that gets annoyed ,other gentlemen advice me on what they thought about the fit without being annoying.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads