• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

daddyblitz

Reaction score

If you are going to buy off the rack, size up and have the waist tapered. The shoulders dont fit, the arms look bad, the chest looks bad, the collar looks bad. All of those things would look better in a larger size. Not perfect probably, but certainly better. You also have forward positioned shoulders, which would benefit from being cut for and would be much more comfortable if you go the MTM/ Bespoke route. I am a tough fit off the rack too, so I know your pain...

Some would benefit from reading a bit,as i stated i gave more than 15lbs since i purchased the suit,which is a 44 i normally wear a 42 ,at the time it was purchasedand tailored it fitted much better.

Some brands in slim fit and i can go up and size and fit in the wait which at my normal weight still dosent help much,ty for the advice.

daddyblitz

Reaction score

The shop assistant did not get it at first and she has seen all sorts of customers. She was very nice; asked me how the jeans fit and I walked out of the change closet.
She looked at my leg trouser, frowned, readily crouched and pulled it:rotflmao:
The leg trousers of the Levi's 501 were stuck on my CALVES!! She managed to get it down, but it was a vacuum fit 
crackup%5B1%5D.gif

Haha, what the h........ never skip leg day.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Colors are unfortunately a bit off ... the handrail was white even though it seems to be blueish in the pic ... fixed that now.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some would benefit from reading a bit,as i stated i gave more than 15lbs since i purchased the suit,which is a 44 i normally wear a 42 ,at the time it was purchasedand tailored it fitted much better.

Some brands in slim fit and i can go up and size and fit in the wait which at my normal weight still dosent help much,ty for the advice.

Then don't wear it. It's not difficult. The suit doesn't fit you well at all. Don't get defensive, just accept that it's not good, move on and do better next time.

Nikolaus

Reaction score
Haha, what the h........ never skip leg day.
haha, yup, good that I'm not into squats :))) else not even a long shoe spoon would have helped :))
by the way, you've done a great job :)) that suit jacket now looks as from a kid :))) massive!

Last edited:

Nikolaus

Reaction score
@Caustic Man you have a totally different body frame, so you don't get angry at clothes stores
biggrin.gif

your advice is ever appreciated
fing02[1].gif
don't doubt it :)

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm,i work out so my arms will fit the way in most suits unless I buy a grampa suit and get it 3+ my size which then i would have to cut the whole thing so its fits my waist.

That probably will make MTM / bespoke necessary for you since your are training your body out of the standard proportions used for the suit patterns of manufacturers.

daddyblitz

Reaction score
Indeed, i have found a few brands a can work around with just a few alterations, but MTM is the best choice to get the best fit.

Nikolaus

Reaction score
training your body out of the standard proportions used for the suit patterns of manufacturers.
Excuse me, with all due respect.
The new modern cut of Levi's 501 (straight leg) got STUCK on my calves!
When I buy Italian jeans with the classical cut they fit.
speaking about standard proportioned men is quite over the top; we all know how Greek statues look like and that was 3.000 years ago. What is getting promoted here ("fashion" industry)? chickens? anorexic two legged aliens?

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Excuse me, with all due respect.
The new modern cut of Levi's 501 (straight leg) got STUCK on my calves!
When I buy Italian jeans with the classical cut they fit.
speaking about standard proportioned men is quite over the top; we all know how Greek statues look like and that was 3.000 years ago. What is getting promoted here ("fashion" industry)? chickens? anorexic two legged aliens? 

That is why the ancient Greeks and Romans opted for Togas ...

Seriously: If someone specifically trains body parts, e.g. arms to become more muscular than average joe, then it is a question of time until when suit patterns made for average joe will no longer do the trick. It seems that he has reached that limit with his Polo Ralph Lauren suit, which are not super skinny (I own one myself and I am certainly not at risk of anorexia).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads