• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tumblr_nxarp4oQPh1r8bgano1_1280.jpg
I love what you're going for, but my main complaint with this fit (and most of your fits) is the jacket is too short.

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dennis Walter. Nice fits. I like the Rouge trousers. Question - would you mind sharing your height and weight. In my head, I think I am about your build. Just want to see if I am on track with my weight loss. Thanks

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Matty. Looking good. Show a little sleeve from the turtle neck next time and the jacket won't look short. Also a pointer toe on the shoe would add to your nice Beatles retro look. My $.02

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Attolini (cashmere)
G. Inglese (chambray)
Viola Milano (grossa grenadine)
Berg & Berg (corduroy)
Navyboot chukkas
Viola Milano bracelets

Also check out our new, revamped website. Still under construction but up and running: Diplomatic Ties

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dennis Walter & @DiplomaticTies , you both seem pretty adept at mixing patterns. What are your main concerns/objectives when doing so? In other words, how do you do it without people telling you you've got too many patterns going on?
satisfied.gif

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dennis Walter & @DiplomaticTies , you both seem pretty adept at mixing patterns. What are your main concerns/objectives when doing so? In other words, how do you do it without people telling you you've got too many patterns going on?
satisfied.gif
Who says we do it without people telling us that we've got too many patterns going on...

It's one of the great mysteries, more in the category "I know it when I see it" than detailed analysis (take for instance my latest post. At first I had a ps as well, but I ditched it in the end because that became the detail that pushed the whole fit over the brink). I have certainly been guilty of mixing too much in the past and will surely do it again in the future. Luckily I'm not easily embarrased and I do believe that we still follow some of the basic "rules" of classic menswear a little too slavishly. We like to think that there are eternal truths in style but it changes all the time, even for classic menswear.

I tend to think more in terms of colour and texture rather than patterns when I dress. If colours and fabrics work together you can push the boundaries a little when it comes to the patterns. I also give myself a little more freedom when I wear a jacket compared with suits. I also make sure to avoid, as much as possible, all the small nuisances that can totally destroy a look, such as logos, monograms, initials, contrast details and grown men who don't wear socks.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Last week, whilst battling the soul-destroying ennui of an academic paper session at a conference, I surreptitiously jotted down some notes for a quiz …

Cheers,

Ac

=========================================================================

Introduction to Graduate Italian

Quiz 4

[…]

XVI. In the obscure dialect of modern Italian spoken on Style Forum, sprezzatura is best understood as meaning:

(1) My tie is too long.
(2) My fly is open.
(3) I don’t know how to tie a proper knot.
(4) I took ten extra minutes to dress myself today in order to look like I took no time at all. Yes, I’m actually that neurotic.
(5) I do not own a mirror.
(6) Any or all of the above.

[…]

smile.gif

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last week, whilst battling the soul-destroying ennui of an academic paper session at a conference, I surreptitiously jotted down some notes for a quiz … Cheers, Ac ========================================================================= Introduction to Graduate Italian
Quiz 4
[…] XVI. In the obscure dialect of modern Italian spoken on Style Forum, sprezzatura is best understood as meaning:
(1) My tie is too long.
(2) My fly is open.
(3) I don’t know how to tie a proper knot.
(4) I took ten extra minutes to dress myself today in order to look like I took no time at all. Yes, I’m actually that neurotic.
(5) I do not own a mirror.
(6) Any or all of the above.

[…]
:)
:D On a somewhat more serious note, did you see this:http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.co.id/2015/06/sprezzatura-great-philological-debate.html ?

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, I hadn’t. Many thanks for the link.

As it happens, I’m writing this in my living room on my laptop and from where I’m sitting (like most academics, if I showed you a picture of my living room you’d be forgiven for thinking it was a bookshop …) I can see my hardcover copy of the 1929 printing of L.E. Opdycke’s translation, a beautifully printed book, by the way, with more than 140 pages of notes and a full index. Recommended if you can find it. Let me get it.

Here’s the first mention of sprezzatura, in Opdycke’s translation.

“… I find one universal rule concerning it [‘grace’], which seems to me worth more in this matter than any other in all things human that are done or said: and that is to avoid affectation to the uttermost and as it were a very sharp and dangerous rock; and, to use possibly a new word, to practice in everything a certain nonchalance …” [p. 35].

To which Opdyke provides the following endnote:

“The word sprezzatura (rendered as “nonchalance”) could hardly have been new to Castiglione’s contemporaries, at least in its primary meaning of disparagement or contempt. He may, however, have been among the first to use it (here and elsewhere in The Courtier) in its modified sense of unconcern or nonchalance. Compare Herrick’s ‘wild civility’ in “Art above Nature” and “Delight in Disorder” [p. 338].

Hmm. It’s interesting that according to Opdyck the ‘primary meaning’ conveyed a certain degree of FU ('contempt').

Cheers,

Ac

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone should aspire to dress as well as Mr. Six.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads