• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SYCSYC

Reaction score
SYCSYC, I like all the pieces but I'm not sure I like them together. The zig-zag tie, fun socks, and light brown wholecuts seem pretty casual for a conservative striped shirt and dark grey suit. With an odd jacket/blazer and a shirt in a less formal cloth, those accessories would seem more coherent. Just my $.02.

I do agree with you on the socks being maybe a little bit too much here.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. I dithered on shoe choice this morning, but was running quite late and I guess that's just where I ended up!

Well, as a security guard you need some firm footwear of course ;)
The jacket is the one you had made up recently? Great colour and texture!

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The hat ruins these every single time, because it's objectively far too big for your head. You can still wear than 1920/30s style hat, but you need a lower crown (you ever thought about wearing a homburg?). Great suit, though!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The hat ruins these every single time, because it's objectively far too big for your head. You can still wear than 1920/30s style hat, but you need a lower crown (you ever thought about wearing a homburg?). Great suit, though! 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

You are completely wrong. If one is well versed in hattery than one would understand that this fedora is perfectly preportioned for my face.

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are completely wrong. If one were more eductated in hattery one would understand it is perfectly preportioned for my face.

Tibor, I don't know much about hats, so can you please explain?
And how about the pic that @Roycru posted above? To my untrained eye, the hat of the gentleman on the right is too small, while that of the gent in the middle seems just right. I must admit I also think your hats look too big on you, so I'm curious why you as a connoisseur say the proportions are perfect.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has a lot less to do with a specific kind of hat that frames one kind of face. There are many different effects each block & flange # gives to a style of a hat. Proper Hattery due to its rarity has become an incredibly arcane and esoteric subject. Many people on a variety of fashion related forums have a very limited understanding of hats that lends an attraction to the generic factory blocks. With the fullest blocks many people are use to seeing is a #52. The wide array of fuller straighter blocks (such as a #81 block, and going well up into the #100's) and the level of formality those fuller blocks rightfully uphold on countless facial structures can be lost to many who do not understand hattery or are unfamiliar with the variety of different asthetics relating to fedoras, especially outside of their limited styles that they are used to seeing. While Japanalex01 was polite and kind, what he said was "objective" was a statement that was an expression of his own subjectivity and holds no greater truth other than that being his own personal opinion. The more one understands the countless styles of blocks, flanges, creating a wide arrays of asthetics relating to each one, the more studied and well preportioned this particular hat will look on me.

Last edited:

FelixTheFinn

Reaction score
It has a lot less to do with a specific kind of hat that frames one kind of face. There are many different effects each block & flange # gives to a style of a hat. Proper Hattery due to its rarity has become an incredibly arcane and esoteric subject. Many people on a variety of fashion related forums have a very limited understanding of hats that lends an attraction to the generic factory blocks. With the fullest blocks many people are use to is a #52. The wide array of fuller straighter blocks (such as a #81 block, and going well up into the #100's) and the level of formality those fuller blocks rightfully uphold on countless facial structures can be lost to many who do not understand hattery or are unfamiliar with the many different styles asthetics of fedoras, especially outside of their limited styles that they are used to seeing. While Japanalex01 was polite and kind, what he said was "objective" was a statement that was truly an expression of his own subjectivity and holds no greater truth other than that being his own personal opinion. The more one understands the countless styles of blocks, flanges, and the wide arrays of asthetics relating to each one, the more studied and well preportioned this particular hat will look on me.
So to be objective let's get someone else and not just the wearer, who is also well versed in hattery to critique the hat. Any suggestions on who qualifies in SF?

Last edited:

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In regards to the picture Roycru posted both hats are correct. Both are notably more casual in style than mine. In relation to the eras these gentlemen are wearing, one has a style associated with the mid 1950's, and the other block typical of the 1960's-80's. The problem many of you are having is you have this false preconcieved notion of how you each envision a hat is supposed to fit the wearers face. Well yes, it is possible to be poorly preportioned, but in most cases I have seen on this forum it is a subjective statement bounded in an untangible notion of what a hat should look like on a person. Both of the gentleman could wear a fedora much taller and straighter giving a more formal apperance or they could go smaller giving a more casual look. It is usually simply a case of the asthetic style each gentleman wants to express.

Last edited:

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Probably none, thought the guy does it for living

Thank you. I would be glad to contact Gary White of Buffalo to ask his opinion, but then again I have learned most of what I know from his knowledge and skills as a Master Hatter.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double post.

Last edited:

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's 18c and sunny, that's our winter here in Sydney so why not navy seersucker.

Sorry, not sorry.

DETAILS
Suit - P. Johnson Tailors
Shirt - P. Johnson Tailors
Sneakers - Stan Smith (leathers)

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although it's to be quite warm in NYC today, I'm suited up, as I'm having dinner this evening with some of the fellow posters from this very website this evening, and do not wish to shame myself by being underdressed for the occasion.

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
PS - no name brand
Braces - Paul Stuart
Shoes - Florsheim Royal Imperial (Magnanni)

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Today:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads