• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheSunisShining

Reaction score

SF Family:
Sam Hober
Kent Wang
Unipair

With regards to the picture discussion:
I have the full set up, though I think I only bought the remote (10 bucks) for the purposes of SF. DSLR and nice tripod I had before I started getting really into taking pictures of what I wear. The pictures would be better if I could go outside; I'd get nice depth of field and better lighting. But generally that is too much of a hassle and embarrassing to boot, even if I do go out behind my apartment (as I have occasionally done for Friday Challenges). Still, having a good camera makes the process a bit more fun yet also frustrating. Just as there is a lot that can go right with a dslr over a point and shoot or iPhone, there is a lot more that could go wrong as well. But you can play around with the iso, f-stop, etc etc and get things like richer colors, depth of field (switched to a different lens recently; between my wife and I, we have around 10k worth of lenses...which isn't much as far as real photography buffs go....NOBD), better interplay between shadows...lots of fun stuff. I'm a generally bad photographer, and the lighting in our place is pretty bad. The above picture is from two standard windows, one about 15 feet in front of me and the other about 18 feet to my left. Neither window really produces much light when I generally take my pictures, especially as both face other buildings.

What a suit!

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boring and rumpled

shoos r cool
Nice, CP. Today:

Pants are actually a dark olive green. In hindsight, probably would have gone with a more muted, "earthy" square.

Loudest gunclub eva, and worn nicely IMO. Who's the maker?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
lulz - 'Suit' is the one where the jacket and the trousers are made in the same cloth.

If you use the spoiler function when you quote an image it saves other users from having to scroll through the same pics again.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We should emigrate, now there's an idea. What would I miss...

Um, your amazing backyard for starters and all the English country side

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score

Either one of those is way more camera than you'll need for anything less than at least enthusiast to semi-professional use. Those bodies have functions for remote slave flashes and double secret 19 point metering and things that you're most likely to never use. I have a D5100 that still does more than a normal person needs and the pictures are beautiful. For main stream usage it's less about the body and more about your lenses, so if you have a buddy with a bunch of lenses from either Nikon or Cannon that you'd be able to borrow and audition, that's the better buy. (...and the kit lenses are still going to give really great pics) I'd rather have the D5100/D5200 with a secondary flash than a D7100 as I'd get use out of the flash when indoors while I wouldn't get use out of the features that account for the price difference between the bodies. I'm no expert at all but that seems to be the opinion of people who pay as much attention to photography as folks here pay to clothes. Either camera can be set to Automatic and take amazing pics though, there's no wrong choice.

for what it's worth, a quick pic of my adopted home town off the balcony with a 5100 and basic kit lense:

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not the "park bench" suit. It looks lineny, but in fact it's 50% wool/25% cotton/25% silk. Weird, huh? But great for summer.

Lapel "stain" is water from a stray rain droplet - it's been pissing in Melbourne today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads