• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I really wish there was more criticism.

Be the change you want to see... :) Seriously, though, if you post your own critiques, it will almost certainly inspire responses and debate.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Flannel, flannel, wool, and ancient madder...and suede too...
I like everything except that I can see your collar button...

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its a double button collar...hard to hide the second button without tying something other than a four-in-hand...

one of the downsides of the tall collar shirts...

any recommendations?

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@black_umbrella I like the look in general, but I'm not crazy about the sport coat. I think the fabric looks too smooth for that pattern. I really like the taper on those pants.

@PCK1 I love everything, but that tie knot looks silly to me give how high the collar is. You need a bigger knot.

Last edited:

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@black_umbrella I like the look in general, but I'm not crazy about the sport coat. I think the fabric looks too smooth for that pattern. I really like the taper on those pants.

@PCK1 I love everything, but that tie knot looks silly to me give how high the collar is. You need a bigger knot.
Funny, the pants don't really have a taper, it's actually my thighs and the upshot angle, but it does look tapered in this photo. You might be right on the sportcoat, but it has a summer/early fall vibe that I like. Hounds tooth is a dark brown rather than the black in the photo.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is from Tuesday.

Too much going on here. Your pants and shoes are too formal for the playful shirt/jacket combo and the tie looks relatively formal-ish from the non-close ups. Too much of a mish-mash.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Its a double button collar...hard to hide the second button without tying something other than a four-in-hand... one of the downsides of the tall collar shirts... any recommendations?
I don't have any experience with the two-button collar, but maybe have them vertically aligned instead of offset?
This is from Tuesday.
If it is criticism you seek... This jacket is all wrong for the other elements you've chosen. rtc is right about the pants and shoes. A blue blazer would be much better here.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait! You're here?

I love bobby's!

I was passing through very briefly - I literally had an hour between the train arriving and having to go to the airport and still managed to pick up a couple of small things - lovely store! You're fortunate to have such a great place in your city.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[@Patrick R ]
 Very nice look.  I'd love a pocket square in there though.

That's a fair comment. I rarely wear a square, and when I do, it is typically a white linen square fold. This morning I grabbed my only patterned square and momentarily considered wearing it. I put it back because I was in a professional setting today where "fitting in" was the number one concern. Out of the 8 other people in the meeting, all were in suits and none wore squares. So it was the right contextual choice even though I think my fit would look better with another minor visual compliment.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was prompted to participate more in this thread and I'm game, so here is another lawyerly day for me this week.

Fit:

Im glad u did. Love that suit, and that's my kind of tie too. Macclesfield for the SF tie
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

fully dig the shoes

@Pliny Five pattern bingo today. I'm not including the watch. The pants are brown/cream houndstooth. I thought really hard about the socks. Really hard.

Came home and the wife was wearing these.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

So what I'm hearing is that Blackwatchitis is contagious.

.. and r u telling me u can't source a Cardigan in a pattern?

Still trying to get a handle on this sc. Thought the red in the shirt would bring out the check and the green would balance the brown earthy tones.

Forgot the square, which is fine.

Each individual item (cept the shirt) is nice RTC, but TP said it- that shirt and tie don't belong with that tweed, IMO

Butcher stripes r loud; so's a block stripe tie, so you've got 3 louds trying to shout each other down. How about solid shirt + solid wool or cashmere tie in a dark green, burgundy or black, or even better a Madder with as u say a little bit in the red band to pick up the deco on the jacket? Maybe even a solid silk knit altho the SC might be too heavy for that. Cool jacket.

Can't quite see the make, but really like the face on that watch.

End of a long day, artificial light. Not ideal. Bottom left shows colours best.

WmvcfZS.jpg

Lite tie with sporty suit = FTW
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

more awsm shoos

Everyone has seen this suit in full before, so no belly-achin'! Love this Panta tie, Ed. It's ****.

Quintessentially SB. Browns, blues, polkas, semi-cutaway collar
cool.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads