• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seamless

Reaction score
Monday closing the deal outfit.
Canali tie
Nordstrom rack fitted shirt
Mtm suit
Hugo Boss belt
Sole cufflinks I thrifted.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps not an entirely SF-friendly tie, but I love it. Same goes for the shirt -

Too many different textures? Maybe in close-up ... but they resolve at a short distance.

Canali (suit, tie) - Ascot Chang - Henry Carter Irish linen - random socks and cufflinks - GG Mayfair - Grönefeld One Hertz

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In order to achieve that goal, you might want to consider less texture in the tie and jacket, something closer to a worsted or even cotton for the latter. But then you are a sartorial god, and I am a mere pipsqueak so I could be totally wrong about that (and it wouldn't be the first time)
wink.gif

Thank you, AJL but that's a little too much praise there. Makes me feel a bit awkward, TBH
shog[1].gif
Still have a looooooong way to go before being entitled to even a smidgen of sartorial divinity
wink.gif

Anyway, I love this shirt but I have a hard time incorporating it tastefully in a fit. I tried to follow the advice from @Monkeyface and @kulata to pair it with a navy suit, but it felt off somehow. Contrast too stark, I think. Same with a charcoal worsted suit. I feel it needs to be paired with something with surface interest, to 'soften up' the whole look. Hence this try with the herringbone. Perhaps I should have phrased my intro more carefully: maybe the shirt is not intended to be the sole focus of attention, but surely the main one...

Note to @The Noodles : a shirt collar like this one should be perfect for you, IMHO.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite busy, Cox, but I like it all the same.

I think a black knit or grenadine would work well with this suit. I've previously had success with a chocolate brown knit. But none of those were available to me this morning.

Papperskatt

Reaction score
Love the jacket! Palm Beach cloth ?
Thanks! Unfortunately not.

--------

Wow, 21 thumbs on my first post! That's gonna be hard to live up to... Thank you all very much.

Here's what I wore to my brothers graduation last month. Late 30s-early 40s navy db suit and a deadstock shirt with pink stripes from the 40s. Stiff detachable collar. I know that the hat isn't really the ideal choice for the outfit but due to my very small headwear collection, that was my only option at the time.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Unfortunately not.

--------

Wow, 21 thumbs on my first post! That's gonna be hard to live up to... Thank you all very much.

Here's what I wore to my brothers graduation last month. Late 30s-early 40s navy db suit and a deadstock shirt with pink stripes from the 40s. Stiff detachable collar. I know that the hat isn't really the ideal choice for the outfit but due to my very small headwear collection, that was my only option at the time.

I like the top half alot, but those pants are beyond me. I'm unsure of the historical context here (Oxford Bags?), but I'd say those pants need some break, some tapering, some cowbell or maybe all three.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Papperskatt, that is an epic suit, and very well accessorised. Agree that the hat is not an ideal match, but it's great in its own right, and I for one will not be picking nits.

However, the flare on the pants worries me a little. OK, that's most likely how pant legs were cut in the day the suit was made, but do you want to preserve this? To me, the suit is so wonderful, so sharp, if I were its owner I would accept that I'm defiling history and simply go get them slimmed a little.

I inherited a vaguely similar heavy navy DB suit from my father. The suit was probably from the late 60s, and was made for him by a bespoke tailor. The pants were way too wide and so I bit the bullet and had them slimmed down. Here is the result:

I feel now that this suit cuts an utterly modern silhouette, and yet its fabric and construction set it subtly apart from what everyone else is wearing - which makes me feel good.

Anyway, give it some thought.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, high of at 97....no need for a suit at the office today, at least!

Sartoria Partenopea khaki cotton jacket, all patch pockets and zero structure or lining -- probably my favorite shoulders of everything I own
Button down collar shirt from Chevy chase sales this weekend
PT01 blue cotton slim trousers
Botticelli brown tassel shoes
Ever present no man walks alone elasticized belt

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your best off all time, in my opinion-- wish the shoe throat laced up tight with little to no gapping, but that's nitpicking. Suit looks outstanding
What I wore to a wedding on Saturday:

27D777F1-0A55-44D5-B3D2-83907B2D10FB.jpg
172E65BB-B6E2-48EC-9193-5FF730A2AA9F.jpg
97C439FA-101D-4FCF-955E-EC1C02A02FB7.jpg

All thrifted:
RLPL suit
BBGF shirt
RTBOC tie
No-name square
J&M Aristocraft shoes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads