• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So good to be home after a long weekend on the organ bench.

Love it, CP.

EFV- those blue loafers look great. I really want to get some C&J Cavendish in suede. Perfect tassels, IMO

Layered Player

Reaction score
I dont think a popped polo with a SC can look good. At best you look like a douche and at worst you look dumb. Or visa versa. : )

Living in Maine I see many popped collars, mostly on men who actually work on boats...fully functional at keeping the sun off their necks.

Crusty and hard, they'd probably snap any popped poseurs like little twigs.

I like wearing polos with blazers but haven't found a way to not look like Thurston Howell III unless the shirt collar is slightly raised.

Style tightrope.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

I feel confident they would be awed by the dazzling effect of my blue suede loafers and popped collar.

...but for backup I would use my Rubinacci PS as an @menswear shield, and challenge them to discuss the relative merits of con rollino and spalla camica.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Living in Maine I see many popped collars, mostly on men who actually work on boats...fully functional at keeping the sun off their necks.  

Crusty and hard, they'd probably snap any popped poseurs like little twigs.

I like wearing polos with blazers but haven't found a way to not look like Thurston Howell III unless the shirt collar is slightly raised.

Style tightrope.

Sheer poetry.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is the loudest jacket I will ever own. But the fabric was just too beautiful to turn down. Got a good rate on it as well, as B&T had ordered some for one of their display jackets and had enough left over for another jacket. H&S linen.

SF Family:
Post-Imperial
Howard Yount
Unipair

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dear Upper Crust,

You are a perfectionist and in secret an aspiring artist to marriage with the Divine.

I'm impressed by everything, every detail in that photograph, from flowery design of the rug, Webster's(?) Dictionary, that unusual marble-colored artefact (corkscrew?) upright on what appears to be a desk (must not forget to mention the baptismal cleanliness of - would you call your suit color off white, ebony, or ivory?) but are those jacket sleeves equipped with surgical or sham buttonings?

Last edited:

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dear Nashorn,

Don't be so pessimistic about what's left of this incarnation, a colorful boating jacket not so conservative, you are a fixed star in a heavenly constellation, ask for multistripes at N&£, ask your Soul Partner to accompany you to the disco to move so you at least look more mobile - then volume of form and content harmonize in your ear range.

Last edited:

JHT652

Reaction score

See, the reason it appeals to me is that it's lazy. There's no ease there: the precious square, tight coat, and intricate hairdo are all kind of a turn-off.

C'mon. this exampke is horrible.
I agree that a navy blazer with brass buttons can work but not here.
This is just some pretty boi with shades and a haircut and probably 10/10 facial aesthetics wearing a blazer.

Any mortal wearing a popped collar white polo with a brass buttoned blazer and sunglasses would just look like a twat.

Regarding the fit of the blazer, imo more athletic people can get away with tighter fits.

Perhaps a bad photo to use & I didn't express my point clearly. I simply meant that if attempting a blazer & polo, the nautical / yachting look was the way to go. I agree, most people would like a twat, hence why it's not as easy to pull off as it sounds IMO. :)

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the loudest jacket I will ever own. But the fabric was just too beautiful to turn down. Got a good rate on it as well, as B&T had ordered some for one of their display jackets and had enough left over for another jacket. H&S linen. SF Family: Post-Imperial Howard Yount Unipair
After seeing that outstandng shaping, perfect proportions I had to come out of the woods to comment. I've liked a lot of what you've posted, Claghorn, and this jacket is definitely loud, but the pattern showcases your tailor's skills and your good physique exceptionally well. Just for that, it is worth keeping amongst the much more sedate items in your wardrobe! I also wanted to say this - I absolutely love the high rise you get on your trousers. They really elevate your fits. A lot of good dressers on WAYWRN miss out on this aspect. The first button on your jacket is at absolutely the perfect spot for your build .. and the second button right at or very close to your natural waist, where I assume your trouser waistband is sitting. Gives an exceptionally clean and pleasing look. Would you mind posting a photo without your jacket on? hope you don't mind me asking. This pic seals my answer for your MTM vs BnT question. It'll be pretty hard to get that type of shaping/proportions in MTM, but I don't know what you are looking for in your future jackets. Rock on, Claghorn.

Last edited:

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ It's a pretty decent fit, no doubt, but to get picky, there are some things that look off to my eye. Firstly, there is the case of Claghorn's oddly sloped shoulders in some of his pics; they are present in this one. Is it a result of bad posture due to poor muscle tone of the back? Intentional monkey pose? Unintentional monkey pose? No one knows. But whatever the case, why doesn't this jacket disguise it? Is this a flaw?

Also, I think the shoulders of this jacket are too extended. If you follow the silhouette of the outer arms upward from the elbows, they do not make a nice straight line to the shoulder; instead, the line flares back outward, away from the body before meeting the shoulder. This overhang of padding is undesirable, IMO. It also causes the armscyes jut outward at a funky and extreme angle. Rather unattractive, as someone else pointed out in the Good Natured thread. Lastly, why are the sleeves so long/no shirt cuff showing. :confused: An easy fix, no doubt, but still...

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It's a pretty decent fit, no doubt, but to get picky, there are some things that look off to my eye. Firstly, there is the case of Claghorn's oddly sloped shoulders in some of his pics; they are present in this one. Is it a result of bad posture due to poor muscle tone of the back? Intentional monkey pose? Unintentional monkey pose? No one knows. But whatever the case, why doesn't this jacket disguise it? Is this a flaw?

Also, I think the shoulders are too extended. If you follow the silhouette of the outer arms upward from the elbows, they do not make a a nice straight line to the shoulder; instead, the line flares back outward, away from the body before meeting the shoulder. This overhang of padding is undesirable, IMO. It also causes the armscyes jut outward at a funky angle. Rather unattractive, as someone else pointed out in the Good Natured thread. Lastly, why are the sleeves so long/no shirt cuff showing.
confused.gif
An easy fix, no doubt, but still...

If u think C's shoulders are oddly sloped check out mine
satisfied.gif

They r what they r - not a flaw IMO Evolve

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Linen bunches during wear, so linen jackets generally have longer sleeves than their wool counterparts. After several hours of wear, my shirt cuffs are now showing.

Also, there isn't any padding in the shoulder, but I do see the overhang you're talking about. It's there some of the time, not there others. The diagonal armhole is just how they like cutting their jackets. Not sure it works well with my sloped shoulders(which in themselves I don't mind)

Regardless, I'm leaning towards returning to MTM.

Last edited:

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

If u think C's shoulders are oddly sloped check out mine :satisfied:
LL
They r what they r - not a flaw IMO Evolve
Sure, sloped shoulders are an anatomical feature and they "are they they are." But I'm referring more specifically to how the structure of a jacket's shoulders enhance or hide this trait. In some of Claghorn's fits, his shoulders appear very sloped. In others, he appears to have a more normal slope. Based on comments in the Good Natured thread, most seem to prefer the jackets that portray a normal slope. Thus, my wondering if the jackets which exaggerate slope are "flawed" in this sense.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads