• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D42281DA-A4F2-40AF-B340-A62AD3BB1A6D.jpeg
888C9DAC-EBD0-405D-929C-90F47D3929A7.jpeg
FF2EF769-EA52-4F7F-A0F4-42A7D66BF6E5.jpeg
57B826A6-94DD-4ECD-A716-3D060CE452B6.jpeg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More April showers. I got a new iron. Unfortunately, I’m still learning how to use it. The steam is much hotter than my old one and it burned some of the camel hair off this jacket. I used my fabric brush to blend it back. It doesn’t look terrible, but I can tell it’s there. Be careful out there.

IMG_9636.jpeg

IMG_9639.jpeg

IMG_9637.jpeg

IMG_9640.jpeg

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
More April showers. I got a new iron. Unfortunately, I’m still learning how to use it. The steam is much hotter than my old one and it burned some of the camel hair off this jacket. I used my fabric brush to blend it back. It doesn’t look terrible, but I can tell it’s there. Be careful out there.

View attachment 2161801
View attachment 2161799
View attachment 2161803
View attachment 2161797
Thanks for the heads up. I just got a new iron yesterday.

Different topic: How is the book on lapel rolling going? You know, I'll be first in line.

Seriously, I would love to learn your technique.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC finally has dried out, after a couple of days of monsoon midweek, during which I did a combination of the practical (caught up on housework - one of my less favorite activities) and the entertainingly capricious (making a late booking for an early May crossing on the Queen Mary 2, joining a friend returning to the UK - my first ocean voyage). I am looking forward to seeing what a transatlantic crossing can be like, and, of course, photographic documentation of this adventure will be done.

To mark the return of the sun (or the absence of rain), and because it's Friday, I've opted for sports jacket and odd trousers, rather than a suit. I've also opted to finally use an accessory that I've had for quite some time, but could never find a use for - today's bow tie, bought off the Internet at deep discount from the maker, thinking that it would lend itself to a lot of uses, then finding it not to be so. Today's combination isn't my favorite, but at least I've used it.

Sports jacket - New & Lingwood
Trousers - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Hilditch & Key
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Crockett & Jones, model name Tunbridge
Topcoat - Tyrwhitt
Scarf - Turnbull & Asser, circa 1984
Cap - Amicale

IMG_1098.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG
IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1096.JPG
IMG_1097.JPG

gavspen

Reaction score
I dont think it's the steam, which, unless under pressure, wont get hotter than 212. Must be the metal part. Check with a physics teacher; there must one one around somewhere. ;-)

Lovely jacket.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think it's the steam, which, unless under pressure, wont get hotter than 212. Must be the metal part. Check with a physics teacher; there must one one around somewhere. ;-)

Lovely jacket.

I am not a physics teacher, but I play one on this forum. My advice: Stay away from
irons. Take your jackets to competent alteration tailors or dry cleaners for infrequent
pressing.

dapperdesertdweller

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment on the hat.

TL:DR The gambler is divisive and you needs some extra confidence to fend off the impertinence

Full disclosure, I have found the hat to be very divisive. As I am sure we all know here, most men don't wear hats anymore, though I wear a hat every day. It's almost always a basic fedora with a normal brim of around 2.5 inches, felt or straw, with a newsboy cap thrown in intermittently. I wanted a wider brim hat but not in a fedora/pinched crown style.

I settled on what you see in the pic, and it has not been received well. I imagine, outside of the general compliments members of this board get, there are the countless questions as to why you "are so dressed up"? This hat ramps that up to an unpleasant level for me. Maybe I'm not old enough to be ignored as just an eccentric old man yet, but this hat brings out the discourse. This will sound odd, but I get less "clothes" conversation when I wear a hat, which is part of the reason I wear one every day. Something about my general countenance seems to elicit more polite comments when I don't have a hat on. I assure you that my vanity at times enjoyed the ogling, but sometimes I just want to be left in peace and not commented on. Of course dressing in a much more casual way would remove any remarks, but I digress.

The point is, I have needed to develop a thicker skin with this hat. I wear it a lot, and I see a lot of the same people regularly. Pleasant comments have all been make or snark has been delivered by all the usual suspects. When I wear it outside that circle though, it is still much talked about and often maligned.

Finally, my wife, who is very much not interested in fashion at all, absolutely hates the hat.
I think the more you wear it the most it becomes less of a talking point & more of a just regular thing “you” are into. I do think the hats are going to be a hard sell for most people but you should wear it with confidence! I am fortunate to have a great head of hair so I save some money there lol 😇

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I steam/press my jackets out of necessity. I live in a small nyc apartment. My closet space is limited. My jackets are packed in like sardines. Any roll the lapels have is mitigated and pressed out by their relative proximity. I don’t have before pics, but the lapels in this jacked looked flat and lifeless before. I imagine that’s what some of you prefer, but not me.

IMG_9740.jpeg

IMG_9741.jpeg

IMG_9739.jpeg

IMG_9737.jpeg

IMG_9736.jpeg

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I steam/press my jackets out of necessity. I live in a small nyc apartment. My closet space is limited. My jackets are packed in like sardines. Any roll the lapels have is mitigated and pressed out by their relative proximity. I don’t have before pics, but the lapels in this jacked looked flat and lifeless before. I imagine that’s what some of you prefer, but not me.

View attachment 2162303
View attachment 2162301
View attachment 2162307
View attachment 2162299
View attachment 2162305
Love the roll!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads