• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m with Shoogs but for full disclosure I dislike those mincey Belgians even more than I do bit loafers. Tweeds need some hefty brogues!

On the upside, although I sometimes think you over reach with pattern combos, the choices of the tie and waistcoat to pick out the colours of the check in the jacket works really well here, and the unconventional colour of the strides still provides a solid yet complimentary base so we’ll done there. Dark brown calf or suede brogues would have been perfect.
No bit loafers or Belgians. You're a hard man to please. What are your feelings about flip flops? :slayer:

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
DSCF7175.jpg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather is a bit warmer than expected for mid-October in NYC, and, as today marks yet another anniversary of my birth, I am dressed for a festive dinner out this evening. I had hoped to wear a three-piece suit, but the weather is a bit too mild for the extra layer of clothing, so I've opted for the next best thing, my navy double-breasted suit. As it's a festive occasion, I've opted for brightly colored accessories, adding what Diana Vreeland might call a needed dash of vulgarity. Vulgar or not, that's what I've chosen to wear.

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Alain Figaret
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand

In addition, a few "lifestyle" shots from dinner - Marea, 240 Central Park South

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG
IMG_1457.JPG
IMG_1458.JPG
IMG_1459.JPG
PXL_20231013_002253892.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20231013_003242175.NIGHT.jpg

blewnote1

Reaction score
The weather is a bit warmer than expected for mid-October in NYC, and, as today marks yet another anniversary of my birth, I am dressed for a festive dinner out this evening. I had hoped to wear a three-piece suit, but the weather is a bit too mild for the extra layer of clothing, so I've opted for the next best thing, my navy double-breasted suit. As it's a festive occasion, I've opted for brightly colored accessories, adding what Diana Vreeland might call a needed dash of vulgarity. Vulgar or not, that's what I've chosen to wear.

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Alain Figaret
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand

In addition, a few "lifestyle" shots from dinner - Marea, 240 Central Park South

View attachment 2046339

Happy belated birthday!

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC has remained sunny, and seasonably cool, such that I felt the need for tweed today. This evening, I'm attending an event at the Asia Society, one for which tweed would be more than appropriate. As it happened, I also had three errands relating to my copious reserves of personal vanity to do this afternoon - one, to have resized a bowler hat, a gift that I received from a friend downsizing his living quarters in the UK; two, a fitting for a new sports jacket from Paul Stuart's outlet store on Madison Avenue (results to be had in about two weeks), and three, the framers called to say that my portrait had been framed and was ready for pickup.

I will wear the bowler in cooler weather; the jacket will be featured in a later post, and I've included a photo of the framed portrait in its place in my apartment.

Today's attire, then . . .

Sport jacket - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Harvie & Hudson
Tie - Andrew's Ties
Cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
Pocket square - Ashear
Trousers and shoes - Paul Stuart

IMG_1469.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG
IMG_1464.JPG
IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG
IMG_1471.JPG

BlueSteel

Reaction score
The weather in NYC has remained sunny, and seasonably cool, such that I felt the need for tweed today. This evening, I'm attending an event at the Asia Society, one for which tweed would be more than appropriate. As it happened, I also had three errands relating to my copious reserves of personal vanity to do this afternoon - one, to have resized a bowler hat, a gift that I received from a friend downsizing his living quarters in the UK; two, a fitting for a new sports jacket from Paul Stuart's outlet store on Madison Avenue (results to be had in about two weeks), and three, the framers called to say that my portrait had been framed and was ready for pickup.

I will wear the bowler in cooler weather; the jacket will be featured in a later post, and I've included a photo of the framed portrait in its place in my apartment.

Today's attire, then . . .

Sport jacket - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Harvie & Hudson
Tie - Andrew's Ties
Cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
Pocket square - Ashear
Trousers and shoes - Paul Stuart

View attachment 2047025

Mr. Crust, I do like the pattern of that N&L jacket; however, from the posted pics it does appear the fit at the button point is too snug. Perhaps time to have a tailor let that one out a bit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads