• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Aloysius16

Reaction score

khughes44

Reaction score
Silk, cotton, cashmere, flannel, suede.
4044ECEB-FCEC-4F73-96B9-6C0AB5820EAD.jpeg

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is short by normal criteria but I would say the proportions suit you (esp. with lower button stance). I would imagine a coat which extended beyond the trouser fork would drown you somewhat. Looks good.
Thanks for the feedback. To me, hunting jacket is an outerwear and I wouldn’t want to wear a coat outside of an outerwear. I do also like the proportion tho, thanks.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks OK @An Acute Style but you know that this comes with a high ‘degree of difficulty’. There’s nothing wrong with experimenting, especially in your environment of non-strict dress codes, but the convention of light shirt-dark tie exists for a reason. It’s that pseudo-objective “settled law” I mentioned earlier that for some intangible reason just “looks right” to our eyes and you deviate from that at your own peril!

PS your last couple of fits seem to have a slight incongruence between cool top halves and warm strides. You might consider other options in your wardrobe that preserve an equal temperature throughout! Just my two pesos as per!

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks OK @An Acute Style but you know that this comes with a high ‘degree of difficulty’. There’s nothing wrong with experimenting, especially in your environment of non-strict dress codes, but the convention of light shirt-dark tie exists for a reason. It’s that pseudo-objective “settled law” I mentioned earlier that for some intangible reason just “looks right” to our eyes and you deviate from that at your own peril!

PS your last couple of fits seem to have a slight incongruence between cool top halves and warm strides. You might consider other options in your wardrobe that preserve an equal temperature throughout! Just my two pesos as per!

The dark shirt idea is inspired by Seinfeld. I love the wardrobe on that show. Several great fall/winter outfits with dark shirts. Reminds me of RLPL. This was certainly not that of course, but I’m intrigued.

I have also been experimenting with mixing cool and warm tones. I’ve discouraged many people doing so in the past. Maybe I should take my own advice.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First outing of this Blackwatch dinner jacket. I purchased some shirt studs this morning. Don’t roast me.

3995FFB7-EF74-4CE5-A902-CB139CE02897.jpeg

2D5A7351-5600-41B3-90EE-BBD2EA3FB9A6.jpeg

011196D9-B7E8-410C-AED6-A85A061C47FC.jpeg

DB7293A5-101D-4C5A-9D51-E038374663CC.jpeg

2B6217F9-3AD7-42D7-9814-143AB8983E65.jpeg

63D7BE6B-DFC2-48BB-8633-9C795EFDF322.jpeg

A655239D-4C91-4637-B1C4-2CB8EF077F1A.jpeg

3EAA9B15-AE65-46DD-9161-C0EC41A81513.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that this is a quite failed combination. Nothing against dark shirts, but this one would match better with a brown or camel jacket, or even with a green one, if you find the right shade (that is something near, possibly lighter, to the green of the shirt).
On the othe hand, I find very nice the match between the jacket and the trousers, also liking the difference in the "temperature".
Combining colours of different temperature might be more difficult than warm with warm and cold with cold ones, but not seldom it offers very pleasant results. Lovely combinations are in my eyes brown with grey, blue with brown, camel with lavender/lilac, for example.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads