• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sugarbutch is too generous. No cardigans or knitwear (other than ties) with tailored jackets. This layering trend is getting out of control.

View attachment 1716610

Disagree 100%

The right knitwear can look good under tailoring:
1638977592708.png

1638977623701.png

1638977663338.png

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC today is overcast and seasonably cool. After a day of more casual attire yesterday, I have brought out the sartorial heavy artillery, as I am attending a party at the Frick Madison this evening. The invitation said "cocktail attire" - I do believe that it would be licit for me to consume an adult beverage in today's ensemble. Besides, any excuse to dress up these days must be fully capitalized upon.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - London York
Cufflinks - custom made by DVVS, NYC
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Boots - J Fitzpatrick
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

IMG_6547.JPG

IMG_6541.JPG
IMG_6543.JPG
IMG_6544.JPG
IMG_6545.JPG
IMG_6546.JPG

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can work, particularly if you work for the Armoury (I recognize Richard, Dan, and Jim from the NYC stores . . .)

Yep, definitely Armoury crew.... easiest pics to find.

Yes, they look great, and all worked at the Armoury, but I do think various knits (sleeveless vests, as in previous photos, V necks, even a crew neck without a tie) do look good under the right sort of tailoring.

1638990286604.png

1638990515362.png

1638990556009.png

1638990834139.png

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Yeah too close as in they are ALMOST identical but they aren't. It looks a bit off to me. Fit and everything else is really good. But this looks like you needed to wear a suit and just took two pieces that looked almost identical and hoped no one else would notice ;)
Agree. I wouldn't wear the two together. And like Zerase says, we did notice.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SJTM

Reaction score
The weather in NYC today is overcast and seasonably cool. After a day of more casual attire yesterday, I have brought out the sartorial heavy artillery, as I am attending a party at the Frick Madison this evening. The invitation said "cocktail attire" - I do believe that it would be licit for me to consume an adult beverage in today's ensemble. Besides, any excuse to dress up these days must be fully capitalized upon.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - London York
Cufflinks - custom made by DVVS, NYC
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Boots - J Fitzpatrick
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

View attachment 1716896

Perfect. Could you please share details on the pocket watch?

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In two of the three pictures the knitwear is barely visible, so yes, if you can't see them they look great.

as for the top partner in a firm in the City, who cares about the Brits? They are literally the most insular people in the world. If you vote to leave civilization we don't need to acknowledge your (sartorial) existence.

Also, these are jokes. As is the next one. Wear what you like, even if it looks like knitted by grandma or grandpa for their grandchildren.

Disagree 100%

The right knitwear can look good under tailoring:
View attachment 1716762
View attachment 1716763
View attachment 1716764

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads