• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

megadork2000

Reaction score
What's new pusstcat? Please forgive the garment repetition. I don't own a lot of Summer menswear.
sfl1.1.PNG
sfl1.PNG
sfl2.JPG
sfl3.JPG

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Wearing one last bit of summery green, before shifting to the olives, sages, and gold for fall.

Stay safe. Stay sane. Speak truth to power.

Shirt, chinos, socks: Brooks Brothers.

Vintage items from eBay, thrift, & consignment: Zelli tassels, 4-in-hand tie, tie bar, Hart Schaffner Marx jacket.

Antique linen pocket square from a friend.

Mask by Mom.

Panama: Goorin Brothers in Charleston

Timex Weekender watch with Smart Turnout watch band.

Glasses and sunglasses: Warby Parker.

#VintageStyleNotVintageValues #stylishacademic #professorstyle #fashionintheclassroom #BlackLivesMatter

20200831_143046.jpg 20200831_143136.jpg

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For once, my pictorial offerings today have little to nothing to do with today's weather in NYC, albeit the weather is pleasantly mild, with partial sunshine and low humidity. They have much more to do with my acquisition of "new toys", and my need to see if these latest additions to that cabinet of curiosities known as my wardrobe can work and play well together with the oddities already acquired.

Today's suit is from the New York branch of New & Lingwood, acquired at a most advantageous price, as the shop was closed for several months due to the pandemic, thus leaving them with a lot of stock that they are looking to move, in order to make room for new fall items. I happened to drop into the store, and saw today's suit on the rack, and was intrigued - even more so, when it turned out to fit me quite well.

The photo shown with me wearing a a quilted jacket is another recent "crime of opportunity" - something which presented itself at my local Saks Off Fifth (no snob I - I am quite democratic as to where I will spend money), and the acquisition of which was actively solicited by my husband, who on occasion decides that I "need" something - in this case, a lightweight Barbour.

As much as the weather today is mild in NYC, both of today's featured acquisitions are much too wintry to wear for some months now, so today's photos were for demonstration purposes only.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt & tie - Thomas Pink
Cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Face mask - New & Lingwood
Quilted jacket - Barbour

View attachment 1450547

This Is Gangster! :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar:

cr2596

Reaction score
For once, my pictorial offerings today have little to nothing to do with today's weather in NYC, albeit the weather is pleasantly mild, with partial sunshine and low humidity. They have much more to do with my acquisition of "new toys", and my need to see if these latest additions to that cabinet of curiosities known as my wardrobe can work and play well together with the oddities already acquired.

Today's suit is from the New York branch of New & Lingwood, acquired at a most advantageous price, as the shop was closed for several months due to the pandemic, thus leaving them with a lot of stock that they are looking to move, in order to make room for new fall items. I happened to drop into the store, and saw today's suit on the rack, and was intrigued - even more so, when it turned out to fit me quite well.

The photo shown with me wearing a a quilted jacket is another recent "crime of opportunity" - something which presented itself at my local Saks Off Fifth (no snob I - I am quite democratic as to where I will spend money), and the acquisition of which was actively solicited by my husband, who on occasion decides that I "need" something - in this case, a lightweight Barbour.

As much as the weather today is mild in NYC, both of today's featured acquisitions are much too wintry to wear for some months now, so today's photos were for demonstration purposes only.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt & tie - Thomas Pink
Cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Quilted jacket - Barbour

View attachment 1450547

This suit alone looks wonderful on you. The rest of the ensemble elevates it further.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stepping into the autumn months and the weather has turned cooler right on cue - nothing in the forecast above about 20c. Today it is only 17c. So, to celebrate the new season it is a light Italian flannel suit and a pair of 30+ year-old English brogues, just back from refurbishment:

WFH 01 09 20.jpg

WFH 01 09 20 full.jpg

WFH 01 09 20 Midhurst.jpg

Suit: Angelico
Shirt: CT
Tie: Balmain
PS: Turnbull & Asser
1980's brogues: John White

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather is mild, albeit overcast here in NYC, reminding one that autumn is coming, though, I am sure, not without some surprise bouts of summer heat in the interim. As the season for today's jacket and trousers is winding down, I thought that I might get at least one more wearing out of both before they're retired for the season.

An amusing side note - the museums in NYC are starting to re-open, the Metropolitan re-opening for members last Thursday and Friday. I visited the Met last Friday afternoon, attired, as was shown in this thread, in a deep lavender sports jacket, white shirt, navy linen trousers, and purple bow tie - not exactly anyone's idea of a uniform. However, with the scarcity of neck ties of any sort these days, I was approached three times during my visit by other visitors, thinking that I was working for the museum, asking me directions and such - odd, as there was no lack of security staff around, all uniformed. I must have a proprietary air about me, wherever I go.

Sports jacket - Saks Fifth Avenue house brand
Shirt & trousers - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Shoes - Carmina

IMG_4390.JPG

IMG_4385.JPG
IMG_4386.JPG
IMG_4387.JPG
IMG_4388.JPG
IMG_4389.JPG

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: A new suit for an old play (King Lear). This one is from HKT Clothiers in Chamblee, Atlanta. I visited with @jiredell as we each got fitted for our respective garments. I included the picture from a few days ago with the full three-piece suit, along with today's two-piece variation.

I opted for a more relaxed fit than my usual, and went with a quarter-lined jacket, intending that the jacket could be worn in the summer, and then transition into colder months with the addition of the waistcoat. I believe this is gesturing towards what they call a "British" fit? Either way, I'm most pleased. Multiple conversations with the lovely and stylish @Andy57 nudged me towards the more vibrant blue, rather than a subdued navy.

Stay safe. Stay sane. Speak truth to power.

Suit: HKT Clothiers, Atlanta.

Shirt: ProperCloth, Redondo linen.

Laceups: Allen Edmonds.

Socks: Pantherella.

Braces: R. Hanauer, from Landry's in Oxford, Mississippi.

Vintage items from eBay, thrift, & consignment: Carrot & Gibbs tie, tie bar.

Antique linen pocket square from a friend.

Mask by Mom.

Panama: Goorin Brothers in Charleston

Timex Weekender watch with Smart Turnout watch band.

Glasses and sunglasses: Warby Parker.

#VintageStyleNotVintageValues #stylishacademic #professorstyle #fashionintheclassroom #BlackLivesMatter

20200901_113724.jpg 20200901_114254.jpg 20200901_114403.jpg IMG_5948.jpg IMG_5953.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads