• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Garcia

Reaction score
Parts of me on the subway, wearing my favourite tie (shibumi) again. Shirt is purple. Excuse the dreadfull picture quality.
IMG_8209.JPG
IMG_8212.JPG

Two days ago.

IMG_8200.JPG

Last edited:

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
I really like how the dark of the waistcoat and your socks seem to be at odds with the otherwise "casual" elements of your outfit: what looks like a cotton suit--although hard to tell from the pics. But this, with the french cuff shirt, and the tie--I think you've combined "formal" and "casual" elements in an interesting way here. Bravo!

Many thanks, sir. The socks are Pantherella in navy, tying into the indigo theme. Would I wear this outfit to teach? Perhaps. I tend to save the French cuffs for Sundays and special occasions.

I suspect some have noticed that the fit of this suit is a bit off. Explanation: it's a Brooks Brothers linen suit, 37R, which is a size too large for me, hence the blocky look of the shoulders.

For most brands, my jacket/suiting size is a 36R. Most places don't carry smaller than a 38. My first made-to-measure suit had to be ordered from the boys' catalog. So I'm afraid that custom or made-to-measure suiting will be the way I expand my modest wardrobe in the future. While that prospect delights me, it's also daunting. An English instructor's salary makes that a very tricky goal to attain.

It doesn't help that a jacket's shoulders are the most difficult part of a garment to alter: I've only ever had it done once, and, while I'm satisfied with the results, the look still isn't quite right. So the growth of my wardrobe has diverted away from suits, filling in with shirts, trousers, shoes, and accessories, all of which I can eBay without having to worry as much about size. But jackets and suits, whose entire silhouette depends on having the shoulders meet one's frame in the right place--those two garments will always be a challenge for me.

What few jackets I have are made-to-measure, with a few serendipitous off-the-rack finds or thriftstore treasures. Does anyone else have this problem, of being too slight in the shoulders? Or am I the only fey creature in this forum?

Either way, this is why I gravitate towards the same color schemes over and over again, and this is also why I enjoy "citing" each garment I wear. I like to see how far I can stretch a limited number of pieces, combining and recombining as I can, using a small number of jackets and suits as a framework for the rest. This is also why most of my garments are solids in "safe" colors, allowing the tie to appear to best advantage.

jiredell

Reaction score
Many thanks, sir. The socks are Pantherella in navy, tying into the indigo theme. Would I wear this outfit to teach? Perhaps. I tend to save the French cuffs for Sundays and special occasions.

I suspect some have noticed that the fit of this suit is a bit off. Explanation: it's a Brooks Brothers linen suit, 37R, which is a size too large for me, hence the blocky look of the shoulders.

For most brands, my jacket/suiting size is a 36R. Most places don't carry smaller than a 38. My first made-to-measure suit had to be ordered from the boys' catalog. So I'm afraid that custom or made-to-measure suiting will be the way I expand my modest wardrobe in the future. While that prospect delights me, it's also daunting. An English instructor's salary makes that a very tricky goal to attain.

It doesn't help that a jacket's shoulders are the most difficult part of a garment to alter: I've only ever had it done once, and, while I'm satisfied with the results, the look still isn't quite right. So the growth of my wardrobe has diverted away from suits, filling in with shirts, trousers, shoes, and accessories, all of which I can eBay without having to worry as much about size. But jackets and suits, whose entire silhouette depends on having the shoulders meet one's frame in the right place--those two garments will always be a challenge for me.

What few jackets I have are made-to-measure, with a few serendipitous off-the-rack finds or thriftstore treasures. Does anyone else have this problem, of being too slight in the shoulders? Or am I the only fey creature in this forum?

Either way, this is why I gravitate towards the same color schemes over and over again, and this is also why I enjoy "citing" each garment I wear. I like to see how far I can stretch a limited number of pieces, combining and recombining as I can, using a small number of jackets and suits as a framework for the rest. This is also why most of my garments are solids in "safe" colors, allowing the tie to appear to best advantage.
You're no fey creature; you're a fell beast. Incidentally, I have trouble with the shoulders, because I have a large chest but narrow shoulders. My chest measures 46", but my shoulders only 18". So most OTR jackets are either 46R or 48R, and usually the shoulders are like 20-22". I too have only had the shoulders altered on one jacket, my tuxedo, which turned out quite nice. But it's not like having something made for you, for sure. It would be great if there were master tailors on every corner and that everyone had their clothing made so that costs could be driven down. But I suppose the charm and skill of old school tailoring would be lost on most people even then.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
One week to go

FC Mask Compo 2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads