• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mcobinad

Reaction score

I'm not a regular here, but I read the last 15 or so pages yesterday, and I noticed that your suits seem too wide and structured in the shoulder, with pants too tight in the thigh and too wide at the hem. I think you'd benefit from a softer constructed jacket, and a looser and then more tapered pant. It'd balance you out better.

Thanks for your constructive criticism. This in mind, I would like to flesh out few things. Firstly, this suit and few others that I have worn of late have been items purchased from few years back when my body structure was proportionate to my suits. About last year or so, I put on massive weight and consequently my suits suffered from this change of body shape (including poppy fats here and there) and fitted snugly. Due to this development, I continued to post heavily on SF and my fits were lampooned with criticisms. To a great extent, some were done objectively, even if the critics at some point stirred up dissension amongst my cohorts here. Nevertheless, I reasoned along with them and saw the need for a change. At the time, I took the safest route by overhauling my entire wardrobe. I was too lazy to work out so I could lose weight.

Recently, I have been massively working out (running) to shed some weight so I can fit into some of my expensive suits. It would be safe to argue that I would not rebuild my 'Garde De Robe' in one night (ou en un clin d'oeil) especially if what I already have are high end items. I am progressively noticing some loss of weight and decided to give my previous suits a go. Albeit, assessing from the close range shot from my last post yesterday, the drape on the chest may not be the perfect fit, yet there is a considerable difference by a long stretch of the imagination compared to my previous fits from last year or so.

If you dig up few posts from last year where members spent considerable time pointing out elements (such as excessive button pulling on the button stance, protruding boxy shoulders, skinny trousers etc) all of which according to them needed reconsideration from their perspective. I took on board their valuable feedbacks and decided to implement their suggestions by overhauling my entire wardrobe. This action necessitated going two sizes up (going from a 38R to a 40R). Unfortunately for me and having a body structure that presents a real challenge for tailoring in the real world, some of the previous issues even going two-sizes up are still inherent. My tailor has said time without number that I will fair better going Bespoke or at the most MTM. Objectively, this is the right course of action as I would take my time to source my fabrics, design, construct and more importantly have the benefit of wearing a suit that is specifically measured and tailored to my body structure.

If you look back to my post from early last week, you would notice that the grey flannel suit (with patched pockets) I was wearing had room for me to circulate from within (it looked baggier that I would ordinarily wear) but again it shows how much effort I have made to try to buy something that fits and drapes well rather than remain adamant about effecting a change that would lend more credence to my overall outfit. Again that suit is two sizes up from my regular fit, yet again, the issue of excessive pulling from the armhole, creases from the shoulder area up to the back area are heavily present. At this point, I can objectively infer that RTW suits are not for me!

All this to say that benefiting from a softer constructed jacket will not go a long way to remedy a problem that is due in part to my physique as opposed to anything else. If not for anything, my best bet will be to take the MTM route or Bespoke which is the way forward. Going two sizes up in the RTW has not solved the problem of perfect fit even imploring the dexterity of the best artisanal tailors who know their onions. I do understand your point of view about taking advantage of an unstructured jacket construction which symmetrically follows the shoulder more closely and ensures the jacket drapes naturally to the body in a more relaxed way (especially in comparison to the constructed drape of the structured jacket). However, the problem remains one of physique and not construction, unfortunately!

Lastly, at some point, I didn't know whether to reply to your commentary or entirely ignore, as I thought 'Here We Go Again' trying to resuscitate old posts that have been done and dusted. Again looking back at your pseudo, I can't put a face to your name or having remembered any encounter with you on this forum. On this occasion, I felt compelled to state my point of view and seal this issue of inordinate ill fitted suits once and for all. I am not a conformist as I don't follow a set pattern of doing things or the way certain people would like me to do on SF. I simply observe, take on board objective elements of criticisms and implement where the need arises. I am an advocate who takes pride in rewriting the rules of fashion by using the basics as a stepping stone for excellence.

I know what to do and how to get there at my own pace and time. Thanks to all those who contributed positively to address this issue. A fortiori, I would not be revisiting this topic any longer and beg to take my leave on this subject. ;)

h3ro

Reaction score
Fantastic response and a well reasoned look into those of us who aren't able to go full bespoke or even MTM at this time in our lives deal with! Like mcobinad, I also have a physique which fluctuates causing some grief with some of my suits and jackets. I'm currently in the same state he was describing, with working on some weight loss so that I may wear my more fitted pieces for the upcoming Spring/Summer.

AlexRamius

Reaction score

SYCSYC

Reaction score
Difficult tie, outfit #1.
A vintage tie from "Grès Paris" thrifted on the bay. Might have work better with a blue shirt but none was available and ironing wasn't welcome.

SuitSupply
Charles Tyrwhitt
Grès Paris
Le grand comptoir
Meermin

Hal Freeman

Reaction score
@mcobinad Very well said sir, completely agree with you 100%.

@DonCologne Since I am fairly new to this forum, I don't know if I have the privilege of saying this but I believe that maybe a light blue shirt would look better with that sportcoat sir. Then again, this is my opinion as I do not wear pink shirts. Lovely POW check too additionally. But to be honest, the pink does a good job providing some uniformity with the shoes to the outfit,

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mcobinad Very well said sir, completely agree with you 100%.

@DonCologne Since I am fairly new to this forum, I don't know if I have the privilege of saying this but I believe that maybe a light blue shirt would look better with that sportcoat sir. Then again, this is my opinion as I do not wear pink shirts. Lovely POW check too additionally. But to be honest, the pink does a good job providing some uniformity with the shoes to the outfit,

While I understand where you're coming from, his pants are white and his SC blue (so don't do light blue or white shirt), so a pink shirt is a nice choice.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winter is over with temperatures of 16°C. Good chance to wear this new leigtweight wool trousers.

I have white chinos and also white linen pants but you see white wool pants more and more now. Attolini's spring collection is full of them. Those pants you wear look very nice, who made them? Are they pleated or is it just a crease?

AlexRamius

Reaction score

@AlexRamius
 who made the shoes? 

It's a french brand called "Caulaincourt". I really love their round last. I have another pair with the same last, but laced and with a cognac patina.

House of KYDOS

Reaction score
Good morning from spring smelling Athens. These shots were taken some months ago at Athens' old town and though of sharing the atmosphere with you all

paris

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The end of a short work week, but one week before we move house across town, to the new apartment. Postings may be spotty from now until the new place is straightened out.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Paul Stuart
Braces - Paul Stuart
PS - Ashear
Cufflinks - DVVS, NYC
Boots - Paul Stuart
Overcoat - BB
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Hat - Christys, via Fortnum & Mason

"Lifestyle" shots - one old wreck in front of another . . .

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camilla Hughes