• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for all the thumbs, everybody, and the kind words. Certainly if I've improved, it is owed in bulk to my participation in this group and the great feedback I've gotten.

It's your best fit yet and very inspirational to those of us who have yet to post here. At least it is for me.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Certainly if I've improved, it is owed in bulk to my participation in this group and the great feedback I've gotten.

Don't underestimate the role played by your willingness to listen to and implement advice. As a teacher, I can say it's not nearly as common as you might imagine. :)

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hallo

IMG_8516mod.jpg

thefoxtooth

Reaction score
"Outfit of the Day - a tribute to David Bowie
A muscial freak, a style icon."

Typo aside: What moron wrote that tagline? Show yourself, simpleton.

All debate of this tagline aside, I would really like to see an in-depth discussion and analysis of Bowie's tailored clothing over the years.

So much attention is paid to his (admittedly awesome but definitely coked-up) wild theatrical costumes, that it's mostly overlooked how often and well he did classic menswear.

Like, who were his tailors through the years? Did he rely on fashion designers for this type of stuff, or did he go to the Row? Tommy Nutter seems obvious for him at one point (his 1975 Grammy tux leaps to mind), but was he in fact going to Nutter?

If anyone's seen an article on this, definitely send it my way.

SYCSYC

Reaction score
First day of Prince of Wales

@thefoxtooth I think I saw on Instagram that Bowie's last suit was made by Edward Sexton

erratum: I actually saw @Butler 's post where he was discussing this with Edward Sexton!

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kulata, you never cease to impress!

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

All debate of this tagline aside, I would really like to see an in-depth discussion and analysis of Bowie's tailored clothing over the years.  

So much attention is paid to his (admittedly awesome but definitely coked-up) wild theatrical costumes, that it's mostly overlooked how often and well he did classic menswear.

Like, who were his tailors through the years?  Did he rely on fashion designers for this type of stuff, or did he go to the Row?  Tommy Nutter seems obvious for him at one point (his 1975 Grammy tux leaps to mind), but was he in fact going to Nutter?

We met Edward Sexton last week. I mostly spoke to his wife though, a really sweet lady. She told me that when mr Sexton worked with Nutter, they dressed most of the English rock-/pop stars, including Bowie.

@Mr. Claymore and Mrs Sexton

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a bit too stern, heldentenor...

Heh. These days, given the cumulative indignities of the profession over the years, that’s actually become the default expression of the seasoned academic.

It’s the smiles that are usually fake ... (
smile.gif
)

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[...]

Like, who were his tailors through the years? Did he rely on fashion designers for this type of stuff, or did he go to the Row? Tommy Nutter seems obvious for him at one point (his 1975 Grammy tux leaps to mind), but was he in fact going to Nutter?

A more general thread devoted to the contribution to classic style of people from the entertainment industry would be of interest.

Cheers,

Ac

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heh. These days, given the cumulative indignities of the profession over the years, that’s actually become the default expression of the seasoned academic.

It’s the smiles that are usually fake ... (
smile.gif
)

Cheers,

Ac

I'm not that seasoned yet, but I concur completely with what Ac said. Never trust a professor--and especially an administrator--who smiles too easily.

That said, I'll try to get back to my happier self going forward.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads