• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My David Reeves MTM Tuxedo. Looking for feedback. Thanks.

As others have noted, for MTM with four(!) fittings, this is rather poor. There is something seriously wrong with the right sleeve. All that rippling and pulling at the top of the sleeve just shouldn't be there. The left sleeve is better but still not great. And there is pulling on the back of the jacket causing ripples from your right hip. A OTR jacket would look better than that. All those ripples detract from the look of the piece and it should be much cleaner (in the sense of fewer ripples and divots) than that. The pants might be a touch too long, too.

In other notes, get some better shoes, preferably patent leather oxfords. Brooks Brothers has some on sale now for not much money. Lose the tie, seriously. Get a black bow tie and if you don't know how to tie it, learn: it's easy. Get a formal shirt. And make sure you have a waist covering, like a cummerbund. Again, Brooks makes a perfectly serviceable one.

Good for you for getting your own tux. Wear it anytime after the clock says 6pm wherever you are. To paraphrase Jack Donaghy, we are not farmers. But you paid good money for that tuxedo and you have not gotten what you paid for. If it were mine, I would be disappointed and upset, and would expect the vendor to fix it.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, suddenly this thread is swamped with gun-club check jackets! Here's mine. Very, very similar to @justinkapur 's although his is from Ring Jacket, mine is Canali.
[COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
BTW, thanks everyone for all the thumbs my recent fits have been receiving. Very encouraging. I joined the forum roughly two years ago, initially just looking for some information about shoes, and was instantly hooked. But it's been a long and gradual learning curve. Certainly I couldn't have done it without the feedback and tolerance I've received here. Thanks again, and I will keep striving to lift my sartorial game.
Your combo is spectacular. When you get tired of your watch ill happily accept donations :)
Same way I started here!
Same to most man. Up until last year I was posting some really terrible stuff and then completely changed and added smarter pieces. In the Noodles thread he mentioned Navy sportcoat and grey trousers as being boring and that was my mentality coming to the forum and its changed my mind. Its just perfection almost every time.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As others have noted, for MTM with four(!) fittings, this is rather poor. There is something seriously wrong with the right sleeve. All that rippling and pulling at the top of the sleeve just shouldn't be there. The left sleeve is better but still not great. And there is pulling on the back of the jacket causing ripples from your right hip. A OTR jacket would look better than that. All those ripples detract from the look of the piece and it should be much cleaner (in the sense of fewer ripples and divots) than that. The pants might be a touch too long, too.

In other notes, get some better shoes, preferably patent leather oxfords. Brooks Brothers has some on sale now for not much money. Lose the tie, seriously. Get a black bow tie and if you don't know how to tie it, learn: it's easy. Get a formal shirt. And make sure you have a waist covering, like a cummerbund. Again, Brooks makes a perfectly serviceable one.

Good for you for getting your own tux. Wear it anytime after the clock says 6pm wherever you are. To paraphrase Jack Donaghy, we are not farmers. But you paid good money for that tuxedo and you have not gotten what you paid for. If it were mine, I would be disappointed and upset, and would expect the vendor to fix it.

I am still working with this client to fix his issues although posting pictures of his suits like this is not making it easy for me personally. At this stage he is putting his faith more in the opinions of anonymous SF members than he is the professional......if only the SF could collectively make him a suit......

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm puzzled by Reevesie. The pictures he posts in his thread look exemplary but this is not the first time I've seen real customers of his post pictures that ... well I wouldn't be happy with if I'd commissioned them.

And you're right, those blobby shoes don't look good at all with this outfit.

I personally measured up, fitted and sent out the door 300 Bespoke suits for for forum members last year. I very rarely do MTM work and there are probably only 4 examples of my MTM work online. While I think my MTM is solid (and I have a lot of prior experience) it is always going to be a compromise fit wise especially when faced with unusual figurations. I no longer offer MTM as a service.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't speak as far as the feedback provided in terms of what needs to be done. I don't know his body type nor its idiosyncrasies, so I don't know how difficult he is to fit. I do know it is MTM, and that the expectations one has of MTM should not be the same that one has for bespoke. But I think it is fair to have higher expectations of MTM than of RTW. And I've seen him in Suit Supply, unaltered, and it looked better than either his tuxedo or his suit. It could be that the pattern they use for their RTW stuff is just more suitable or forgiving for his body shape than the pattern you used for your MTM venture.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still working with this client to fix his issues although posting pictures of his suits like this is not making it easy for me personally. At this stage he is putting his faith more in the opinions of anonymous SF members than he is the professional......if only the SF could collectively make him a suit......

Fair enough. The moderators will remove my post, if you ask them to, I have no doubt, as you are an affiliate vendor. And perhaps the problems with MTM are illustrated by this suit, which, if true, are good reasons to quit doing it. I also realize and appreciate the distinction between bespoke and MTM. But I have to say, given that all I have to go on are the photos your customer posted, I would not buy that jacket if it were ready-to-wear if it fit me the way it fits on him. And I certainly would not be satisfied if it were a bespoke commission.

As for where he is putting his faith, we are proxies for people he'll meet out and about while wearing his tux. Do you really want people asking him where he rented it from?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fair enough. The moderators will remove my post, if you ask them to, I have no doubt, as you are an affiliate vendor. And perhaps the problems with MTM are illustrated by this suit, which, if true, are good reasons to quit doing it. I also realize and appreciate the distinction between bespoke and MTM. But I have to say, given that all I have to go on are the photos your customer posted, I would not buy that jacket if it were ready-to-wear if it fit me the way it fits on him. And I certainly would not be satisfied if it were a bespoke commission.

As for where he is putting his faith, we are proxies for people he'll meet out and about while wearing his tux. Do you really want people asking him where he rented it from?

[VIDEO]]

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I personally measured up, fitted and sent out the door 300 Bespoke suits for for forum members last year. I very rarely do MTM work and there are probably only 4 examples of my MTM work online. While I think my MTM is solid (and I have a lot of prior experience) it is always going to be a compromise fit wise especially when faced with unusual figurations. I no longer offer MTM as a service.

You have the right to defend yourself but I don't think any comments so far have been out of order or have crossed the 'personal' line. I'm sure both you and your client, along with us onlookers in the peanut gallery, are all hoping for a happy conclusion.

And while I expect most readers have a working knowledge of the difference between MTM and full bespoke, this may be an opportunity for you to clarify, if you so desire, exactly what it is that you do. As stated, you've posted pictures of some fantastic looking suits but I for one am not entirely clear on your role. 300 suits a year is admirable, assuming a six day week that's about 1 per day. How much work do you yourself do on these suits? Are you the measurer, the tailor, the cutter, the director of operations, the public face, all of the above? You mentioned bespoke shirts once then said they were made in England (I think) so I've never had a full grasp on what you do.

Anyway none of this is meant to be attacking you or your operation so I hope it doesn't come off that way - I'm sure we all wish you continued success.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads