• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that and do like Ivy as an intrinsical part of US culture - but hasn't enough time passed and there been enough Euro pics posted on this thread for people to opt more for this alternative.

Maybe they just don't like it, or find it boring...who knows?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that a lot of people DON'T go for that kind of option. However the appeal of Trad Ivy is simply because it's old. Well, not old per se, but classic. I think Americans do generally opt for more "interesting" choices. I put interesting in quotes because it often turns badly. Then again, simple often turns out badly too, although perhaps not as epically.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do I have to post just as a discussion about elegance begins?

thefoxtooth

Reaction score
This can't be re-posted too much. The epitome of elegance.

I know everyone has different tastes and styles - and that is the purpose of this thread - but it baffles me why more of this superb European simplicity has not in general had more influence in the US, UK or Australia for that matter.

I hear you—I like it a lot too—but if everyone wore this all the time, God what a dull world.

There was a time not so long ago in the US when this look (albeit not done quite this well) was practically compulsory, and wearing so much as a striped shirt to the office was seen more or less as a public confession of rampant, uncontrollable sodomy. IBM rather famously banned blue shirts: too flamboyant.

I think one reason this look has garnered so much attention is that StyFo invites risk-taking, and speaking for myself, I often post looks that contain elements I'm on the fence about, because I'm looking for feedback. I hesitate to post solid, proven excellence because I fear boring people.

Between this and the peacocking, few of us think to get back to (very excellent) basics.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for an excellent and logical response.

I guess it's just my long held personal preference showing.

I know the era you''re talking about and see your point - but at least dressing well was more or less compulsory then, until the late sixties and the following three decades buried it and everything turned to ****.

I think we're slowly heading back to a more dignified appearance, from what I observe here on the streets of Melbourne and overseas.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like Sander's pic too, but seeing it I feel a craving for some colour. Even just a dark blue or navy tie instead of black might satisfy that craving. I bought a black grenadine and I'm happy to have it for funerals but if I'm ever even tempted to reach for it I see all the other colorful ties hanging next to it and think - 'nah, not today!'

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking of elegance....BRIGHT ORANGE TIE!

SF Family:
Henry Carter
Exquisite Trimmings
Spier and Mackay
Meermin

thefoxtooth

Reaction score
Thank you for an excellent and logical response.

I guess it's just my long held personal preference showing.

I know the era you''re talking about and see your point - but at least dressing well was more or less compulsory then, until the late sixties and the following three decades buried it and everything turned to ****.

I think we're slowly heading back to a more dignified appearance, from what I observe here on the streets of Melbourne and overseas.

Gee, thanks. Well, if you look at how oppressive everything got for a while there ("Blue shirts?!?! Not for me, thanks, I have a wife!"), it really isn't too surprising that a few years later you see people wanting to wear the most far-out thing they can get their hands on.

I don't really mind that whole three-decade period so much, it's the onset of cargo-short-n-tee, big-box, casual-Friday, Costco anti-style that has horrified me.

“A little bad taste is like a nice splash of paprika. We all need a splash of bad taste—it’s hearty, it’s healthy, it’s physical. I think we could use more of it. No taste is what I’m against.”—Diana Vreeland

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer Chesterton's quote at the bottom of my posts to Vreeland's!

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“A little bad taste is like a nice splash of paprika. We all need a splash of bad taste—it’s hearty, it’s healthy, it’s physical. I think we could use more of it. No taste is what I’m against.”—Diana Vreeland

I prefer Chesterton's quote at the bottom of my posts to Vreeland's!

That deja vu feeling...
wink.gif

I believe a few months ago, I already replied with this quote, the first time you referred to your Chesterton sig:

"Good taste, the last and vilest of human superstitions, has succeeded in silencing us where all the rest have failed." — G.K. Chesterton

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics