• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As always, your color/fabric/pattern combination is superb. But, here, that wonderful tie is the star of the show.

I can only agree, this is probably my most prized tie that I have in my possession - "soft as butter" cashmere from Vanda. I managed to snag one of the last remaining last year and Gerald and Diana even made it for me in an extra-long version. :nodding:

lukejackson

Reaction score

Not what I wear today but UPS just knocked on the office door with a parcel. Corneliani wool/cashmere. Navy, Flannel-like structure in a fishbone pattern (very subtle). Fits like a glove IMHO. As good as it gets with RTW. And yes it covers my bottom. Finally I have my perfect blue blazer! I am happier than the photo might suggest. I got it here. Very fast shipping. Left Italy yesterday and I took delivery this morning. Thank you UPS. One IT48 and two IT50 left.
Looks great! Is it I.D or mainline. I have one corneliani jacket that I ordered online and perhaps should have gone 48 instead of 50. I feel the arm holes are quite low. It's hard to tell if this is just a by product of the too big size however and the photos on that sellers listings are not very helpful in relation to cut as the models rarely seem to be wearing the right size. Do you find the arm holes a problem?

Anden

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Is it I.D or mainline. I have one corneliani jacket that I ordered online and perhaps should have gone 48 instead of 50. I feel the arm holes are quite low. It's hard to tell if this is just a by product of the too big size however and the photos on that sellers listings are not very helpful in relation to cut as the models rarely seem to be wearing the right size.

Do you find the arm holes a problem?

I believe it´s mainline. Can´t find anything that says anything else.
The armhole is similar to the Raffaele Caruso and Isaia that I have hanging in the office.

A

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey RTC, I think your decisions in terms of colours and pattern matching are improving. Go on and try to find some good deals, in particular something that fits you well (don't just rely on the size when you buy/thrift, because your size may vary depending on the maker). You seem skinny, so learn what the "drop" is and try to find the correct one for you. (Most of your SCs, from what I've seen, are way too large at the waist, creating a bad silhouette)

Also, don't be afraid to spend some money at a tailor. I used to be reluctant as well, but a good tailor can make a suit/SC look like it's worth 10x its real price, just by improving the fit.

Thanks! I'm drawn to bright/shiny things so toning it down a bit is hard, but I think that there will be a resurgence of this once I get the fit right. The way I see it, the color attracts attention. If fit is suspect then your eye will go from the bright thing to the fit being off. I'll keep it in mind.

I'm actually making friends with a local seamstress. She seems pretty good and currently has 2 of my tweed jackets as well as 2 of my trousers. Her prices are very reasonable and she is intent on my getting what I want. I think I have a few decent sack jackets (the BB 346's and one Jcrew) that I will take to her for some waist suppression. Is that possible on a a sack style SC?

Also, I'm 5'10 and about 155-160 lbs. I've started going to the gym again (after earlier injuries) and now all the SC's I bought 6 months ago are starting to get tight on the shoulders and back!

RTC, I think you should do away with the button downs and get yourself some nice spread / semi-spread collars. Your ties will sit better and overall will look smarter and tidier.

Anyway, this is me today:

Atkinson's wool tie with silk vintage PS. And spread collar. ;-)

Thanks! I think I can see what you mean. I have a few of those that I tend not to wear that often. I'll put them back into the rotation and keep an eye out for shirts with collar stays instead of buttons as I keep hunting.

Also, if anyone here is a size 46, then click this:
I found a 46R tweed hunting jacket if you're interested in that sort of thing. It's got elbow patches as well as a chest protector and throat latch. If you're that size and are looking for something like that, then let me know.

I put this in a spoiler because I didn't want to take away from the thread.

DonCologne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my latest thrift tie: Zegna for Duetz (Dutch local store). Suit is from SuitSupply. Nothing to special since I am still in the process of restarting my basic wardrobe. I am really happy with the new tie though:

Closing button is much too high and the jacket needs at least 2'' more length.

As I promised the new Drake´s grenadine under daylight conditions:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My camera + lens + tripod costs more than any outfit I could throw together (unless you count shoes, which we all know I don't wear). I've yet to really bother to figure out how to use them properly.

Y U NO FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE YOUR THINGS

--

Lol SB

--

Very nice, Ping.

faribeana88

Reaction score
Closing button is much too high and the jacket needs at least 2'' more length.

As I promised the new Drake´s grenadine under daylight conditions:

Don, really nice fit but as for the jacket needed 2" MORE in length, I don't see it. Your finger tips are almost at the tip of the jacket when they are straight. As it stands now you could not curl your fingers comfortably around the bottom of the jacket which I believe was the standard for assessing if a jacket is too long or too short. I think you have it just right.

Think:

Jacket-Length_cAOMRMRS_400.jpg

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JLC watch, clean white open collar shirt, dark blue striped suit with no shoulder, suede ankle boots
edamunat.jpg

Last edited:

luv2breformed

Reaction score
Don, really nice fit but as for the jacket needed 2" MORE in length, I don't see it. Your finger tips are almost at the tip of the jacket when they are straight. As it stands now you could not curl your fingers comfortably around the bottom of the jacket which I believe was the standard for assessing if a jacket is too long or too short. I think you have it just right.

Think:

Jacket-Length_cAOMRMRS_400.jpg

Pretty sure DC's comments were aimed at Django's fit.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Erring on the casual side today, trying out a new jacket...

Difficult to tell with the photo angle, but are you entirely happy with the jacket's length? Maybe an extra 0.5"-1" might work a little better?

caveat: I tend to prefer longer jackets anyway... talking of which...

Fits like a glove IMHO. As good as it gets with RTW. And yes it covers my bottom.
Finally I have my perfect blue blazer! I am happier than the photo might suggest.

Again, I would think maybe an extra little length might look even better. Of course, your own preference is the only truly relevant thing here.

There is 'subtle' irony in guys wearing $4,000 outfits posting selfies shot with telephones.

No real irony (under any definition of the word) in most cases, I think; simply a matter of most of us being more interested in clothes than in photography of clothes. Talking myself as a case in point, I'm not interested in photography, so I just post snaps for the fun of sharing what I'm wearing, and for giving some vague context to my comments on others' outfits, even if my photos aren't particularly colour-accurate or clear. There's no incentive to get higher quality equipment or professional lighting or whatever, because taking better photos (at more time/effort/cost) isn't something I'm interested in. I'm sure a similarly aware/conscious thought process for many posters who, like me, post poor quality photos. You can still get a fair idea of the outfit and whether you like it or not, which is all that really matters.

And talking of terrible photos...

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So relieved that I found my choral collection book for emergency situations.

Morning chores finished. Now, it is time to bundle up and find that perfect 9 foot Douglas Fir Christmas tree. I hope there is one left! If not, I better not come home.

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My day off, but filled with errands.

Sports jacket, trousers, shirt, tie & cap - BB
PS - no name brand
Shoes - Finsbury, Paris
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Scarf - RLPL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads