• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ananses3m

Reaction score
@ananses3m

This a harsh thread for those not used to criticism. The good news, is this phase usually doesn't last long because either the poster quits posting, or conforms to the norms suggested.

Even then, the critique will come. And even if you wear a perfectly tailored and coordinated outfit and you look great in it, if it is a pedestrian brand, the compliments will be thru clenched teeth. Thank them anyway. Be gracious.

If you are chasing a fashion look, this is probably the wrong forum as trends aren't well received.

It would probably help you to look closely at the outfits that are praised and notice how long the sleeves are, how the jacket drapes, how the pants fit, how the jacket accentuates the wearers body, how do the shoulders fit.

Then look for patten, texture, color and how they are put together.

Learn about proportion, balance, construction, buttons, button holes etc.

for example, upr_crust here is an immaculate dresser with a magnificent eye for color and texture. If you check his posts, you will see that he always posts a collage of his ensemble "off body". It's uncanny how he has the perfect cuff links for every tie. Note the brands he wears. Always upper tier but he doesn't chase some recent designer to follow the current trend. He has a style that is timeless. Everything ALWAYS fits properly.

Also, note the ways he maintains his wardrobe. Never wears a shoe with a scuff. Or something with a loose thread or missing button.

Don't want to dress like a mature white dude? That's ok too, but color, balance and proportion, texture and contrast will apply equally to you.

Pick someone whose look you like and figure out why you like. Down to the way the shoes are laced. Ask questions. Pay compliments to guys who are doing something well.

You're a young guy with the potential to look great every day, but it has to be natural or become natural for you to pull off.

Be glad you're learning this now, because dressing well will always be noticed, just as dressing poorly will be. Particularly at the higher levels of management you encounter. I'm 55 and been coming here a year. It's hard when you realize that half what you thought you knew was wrong.

You're ahead of the game

Good luck on the journey.
Thanks a lot jebarne that was a very good post I will definitely follow your advice.

I'm sorry, but this is not even close to good, as we conceive it.
First, is this a black suit? If it is, this is how a black suit should be donned and how a jacket should fit you. I'm going to talk about the tie knot, but here is some reading for you on tie knots. About the tie itself, is it made of satin? It does looks like satin, which is not good on that color (black or midnight blue for satin neckties). The pocket square should be burned, especially when combined with that tie, and you should tuck the substitute more. I'm, also, going to advocate against dark shirts, especially for a newbie. The belt and the shoes are a good match, seeming to be tasteful (assuming that both are of good quality), but they're way out of what would be a coherent combination for them. Your watch and your glasses are way too large for you, try something more proportional.
Thanks Victor, the blazer is actually dark navy, I paired them with black pants. You guys are helping a lot thank you very much

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Thanks a lot  jebarne that was a very good post I will definitely follow your advice.

Thanks Victor, the blazer is actually dark navy, I paired them with black pants. You guys are helping a lot thank you very much

There are so many crap dressers out there, that with a bit of time, attention and money you can elevate yourself to a high percentile of sartorial elegance and - if this is your goal - be known among your mates or co workers as a snappy dresser, all WITHOUT ridiculous gimmicks like esoteric tie knots and hockey puck sized watches. This way people are looking at your accessories - tie and your watch, not the actual clothes you are wearing.

Anyone can go out and buy an ostentatious watch and tie their tie with an unconventional knot, but if you really want to dress well there's much more to it as jebarne suggests. Look at the picture posted of the fella in the black suit - impeccable fit, and no sign of any gimmicks.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had some awesome pancakes today.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been lurking on this forum for a while, finally decided to join. Here goes my first post  

bro - from your username, i take it you are Ghanaian/with Ghanaian ancestry. I'm a Ghanaian too and this place has been great for learning. There is a lot to learn here. i can guarantee you will become a better dresser if you stick around with the right attitude.

More is less in most instances and it takes a while to hit that sweet spot. In some cases, you may be getting "great" feedback from those around you who don't know better (the facebook likes, the instagram loves, the oh you look greats etc) because a lot of people don't have a good concept of what it is to dress well in the real world. Don't take negative feedback here in the wrong vein, because generally people here want the best for you - even if they don't know you.

Stay stylin'

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Clags - have you considered a higher collarband?
Yes, yes I have
satisfied.gif
. Most of my shirts have an extra 2 cm on them to accommodate my love of half windsors. That shirt predates the change.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Party time :)

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ananses3m

This a harsh thread for those not used to criticism. The good news, is this phase usually doesn't last long because either the poster quits posting, or conforms to the norms suggested.

Even then, the critique will come. And even if you wear a perfectly tailored and coordinated outfit and you look great in it, if it is a pedestrian brand, the compliments will be thru clenched teeth. Thank them anyway. Be gracious.

If you are chasing a fashion look, this is probably the wrong forum as trends aren't well received.

It would probably help you to look closely at the outfits that are praised and notice how long the sleeves are, how the jacket drapes, how the pants fit, how the jacket accentuates the wearers body, how do the shoulders fit.

Then look for patten, texture, color and how they are put together.

Learn about proportion, balance, construction, buttons, button holes etc.

for example, upr_crust here is an immaculate dresser with a magnificent eye for color and texture. If you check his posts, you will see that he always posts a collage of his ensemble "off body". It's uncanny how he has the perfect cuff links for every tie. Note the brands he wears. Always upper tier but he doesn't chase some recent designer to follow the current trend. He has a style that is timeless. Everything ALWAYS fits properly.

Also, note the ways he maintains his wardrobe. Never wears a shoe with a scuff. Or something with a loose thread or missing button.

Don't want to dress like a mature white dude? That's ok too, but color, balance and proportion, texture and contrast will apply equally to you.

Pick someone whose look you like and figure out why you like. Down to the way the shoes are laced. Ask questions. Pay compliments to guys who are doing something well.

You're a young guy with the potential to look great every day, but it has to be natural or become natural for you to pull off.

Be glad you're learning this now, because dressing well will always be noticed, just as dressing poorly will be. Particularly at the higher levels of management you encounter. I'm 55 and been coming here a year. It's hard when you realize that half what you thought you knew was wrong.

You're ahead of the game

Good luck on the journey.

It makes me happy that you are spending so much time to explain this for a beginner. Shows respect. And you point at important sides of learing how to become a good dresser, as well.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two days ago:

(Camel hair, tattersall, wool knit, silk hank. Unseen: off-white chinos and brown bit loafers).

Yesterday, in an X-post with MC Casual:

Vintage 6x3 DB with smoked MOP buttons, in wool crepe. Trousers are cheap corduroy jeans, which are a little short and a little tight for my taste.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still a little hot where I am for camel hair, but I can't wait until I can wear it. Very nice jacket.
Thank you. The fit isn't quite spot on -- it's too big around the collar, I think. It's camel-colored flannel, half-lined, and I wore it with lightweight trousers, so it squeezed by on a day in the mid-70s which I mostly spent indoors. Camel doesn't get the love it deserves, IMHO. One of the top three sportcoats (up there with navy blazer and gray herringbone tweed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads