• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacobender

Reaction score
Ha, one of my clients plays hockey, apparently I have to grow something called a play off beard. I usually shave every other day. I think on I am on day 5 and it is driving me crazy.

The pants are a funky prada bell-bottom from a few years back. I bought the matching shirt in that pattern and I rarely wear it, as even *I* think it is TOO MUCH!.

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Early mother's day dinner.

This is just perfect, I love everything about your outfit here. Great fit, color, you know absolutely what you are doing. What kind of shoes are you wearing?
And I want details of everything, I want to see more posts from your Mr
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
!

Last edited:

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might want to consider a more subtle shirt (i.e. shirt sans stripes). The orange pants are attention-grabbing enough.

Hagg this comment is inept.

^^ might need to shorten those sleeves... and taper the pants from the knee down.

and CDHagg,
dude, just please, I know there's that whole 'my opinion is as good as yours' thing, but if your cup is already full you're not going to learn anything. Observe, learn, post, accept, learn, post. and by post, I mean pics, not opinions. and get off my damn lawn you kids

I think I may be, in small part, a victim of bias...

It seems that people on this forum have a tendency to regard every comment I make as "stupid" or "ignorant" or the like. If Foo had posted the same comment, you would probably have stopped to consider the advise more carefully, and you may have come to accept it as good advise if only because Foo was the giver of the advise. It's not possible for a person to remove all bias from his or her mind when making a judgement, but it is good to at least try.

See, if a guy wears bright colors and loud patterns all over his body, he can end up looking like a clown. It really was a nit-pick, a minuscule point, but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

I apologize if I offend or annoy anyone with my comments. I'm really only trying to help. I do this a lot in real life too - I try to help out by lending a hand, or lending advise, or volunteering to do something that I think I'm qualified to do, but often times it turns out that I should have said and done nothing. I'm really only trying to be a nice guy and help out, though.

Sometimes, my advise is helpful, but not wanted. For instance: I am a classically-trained musician (amateur), so I know a little about harmonic analysis and whatnot. Recently, myself and a few of my friends were trying to write a 4-part harmony for a contemporary piece of vocal music. None of the friends in question had the music theory background that I had, so they would just play a passage in the music over and over again and try making up harmonies off the top of their heads to see if they could eventually find something that sounded good. This was very time-consuming, but because I knew the rules of harmonic progression and cadences and whatnot, I knew why certain things sounded good or bad, and I had the ability to write an SATB harmony in much less time. I tried to get my friends to let me handle it and write the harmony, since it would be much faster. I thought I was being a nice, helpful guy, but in the end my friends just got very annoyed at me because they actually preferred their trial-and-error meathod.

Other times when I try to help out, I'm just plain wrong. For instance, I sing in a choir at my church, and the "choir director" doesn't know much of anything about music (objective fact - she admits it herself, she has no training). I thought I was helping out one Sunday when I insisted at one point during the service at we should be singing a certain piece of music at that very moment. I was extremely sure that I was correct, and I was sure that the choir was holding up the service because we had not yet started the hymn. So, the director relented, and we sang the hymn, and... I was wrong, as usual. It didn't make a big difference to the service, but the director was very offended that I was trying to run things. Honestly, though, I was just trying to help.

So, basically, I have this problem with trying to "help." I'm working on it (probably the most discouraging bit of self-improvement I've ever attempted). My above advise is probably the first bit of subjective style advise that I've given in a couple of months, and it was only meant as a casual comment. I assure you that my intentions are benevolent, and I'm really only trying to be nice and friendly and stuff, but I apologize if I sometimes come off as an ignorant jerk.

Drudged

Reaction score

This is just perfect, I love everything about your outfit here. Great fit, color, you know absolutely what you are doing. What kind of shoes are you wearing?
And I want details of everything, I want to see more posts from your Mr 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
!

Thanks! The shoes were a chocolate suede Oxford. The Suit is my latest Hickey Freeman made to measure... it's extremely tough to fit my forward sloping shoulders in RTW, but their Beacon model seems to work quite well, providing the fabric isn't too light. I'd post more, but I'm never much inclined to take the photo, upload it, and post. I read and gain inspiration from you all daily, though!

Last edited:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! The shoes were a chocolate suede Oxford. The Suit is my latest Hickey Freeman made to measure... it's extremely tough to fit my forward sloping shoulders in RTW, but their Beacon model seems to work quite well, providing the fabric isn't too light. I'd post more, but I'm never much inclined to take the photo, upload it, and post. I read and gain inspiration from you all daily, though!

Dude I love the Beacon. That's all my suits/sportcoats. Ive only ventured out twice, one is the Buckley db, and the other is an unstructured model, can't remember the name

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it's a 10/10 for me, to see the outfit with the shoes would do it even better. Well you must upload a picture once a month for me...The new James Bond!
I don't think the gold buttons work with this.
I really think my outfit there was crazy when i'm looking it again. Wanted to try out something new but I will stick to ''boring'' me that's better
happy.gif

Quarks

Reaction score

I really think my outfit there was crazy when i'm looking it again. Wanted to try out something new but I will stick to ''boring'' me that's better :happy:

I think the gold buttons were a nice touch to the navy DB blazer. All in all, it fits the occasion! If that is trying at all, it does not seem you were trying too hard. Keep at it, don't settle for boring if thats aint you.

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the gold buttons were a nice touch to the navy DB blazer. All in all, it fits the occasion! If that is trying at all, it does not seem you were trying too hard. Keep at it, don't settle for boring if thats aint you.
Thanks man! Well most of my outfits are pretty simple. But I wanted to go casual but still stick out a bit. Thought this might work, but I dont know really it's not to much? I mean with the pants, gold and the shirt?

tacobender

Reaction score

Well it's a 10/10 for me, to see the outfit with the shoes would do it even better. Well you must upload a picture once a month for me...The new James Bond!
I really think my outfit there was crazy when i'm looking it again. Wanted to try out something new but I will stick to ''boring'' me that's better :happy:

Could a crisp white shirt have been better than the stripes? Certainly. It might have put more emphasis on the FU pants. Are the gold buttons a little over the top? Sure!, but who cares? It looked like an outdoor garden party with other people dressed in a whimsically waspy attire. I liked the outfit :)

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could a crisp white shirt have been better than the stripes? Certainly. It might have put more emphasis on the FU pants. Are the gold buttons a little over the top? Sure!, but who cares? It looked like an outdoor garden party with other people dressed in a whimsically waspy attire. I liked the outfit
smile.gif
Yeah maybe the shirt f*cked it up
shog[1].gif
Thanks anyway!

tshaw

Reaction score
Personally, SF, given the situation, I think it looks fine. Wld love to see you wear the jacket with something else before making final judgement. Wld you post something else with it being worn? Thx.

Oh, and trust me, you are not 'boring' :slayer:

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really think my outfit there was crazy, when I'm looking at it again. Wanted to try out something new, but I will stick to 'boring' me; that's better. :happy:

Oh no, I didn't mean it like that--sorry! I just think a blazer doesn't work so well with chinos--especially, in that colour. I think, if you wanna go peaked, or whatever, go with an orphaned SC, that has more natural-coloured buttons--navy/brown/white, maybe. I do like how you wore a blue shirt; I think that's the right choice for the colour palette. :) Anyway, cut was nice and more power to ya, for trying something not so boring! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads