• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep - dark brown shoes are conservative business dress in my book (and Manton's too, see post 1 of conservative business dress thread...)

But listen, don't go getting soft on us with the feedback, just because you're doing it regularly now. I miss your more eviscerative posts... :devil:

You thought that post 25716 above was soft? I must be warming up to the friendly atmosphere then. ;)

Last edited:

Willin

Reaction score

It's a very nice outfit but in somehow I think it's to mutch of this and that. So mixed with diffrent colors. I think it's the blazer and the shoes that makes everything bad for me.
In my mind it should look almost like this to be a perfect summer outfit:

So he needs a giant, gaudy Hermes "H" logo belt to be SF approved?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:

Just a little, perhaps. The returning gdl203 of a week ago would have put some of that feedback in harsher language... don't worry though, you're still a long way off the "simply wonderful, your best outfit yet!!!" stage...

... maybe by next week...

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Citan, the proportions would be more readily evident if pictures were taken at chest height. Can't really comment on fit otherwise.

If you have a mid-grey suit, I think the shirt & tie would go great with it.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

one of my strongest shouldered suits to ponder on today.

If you will indulge me with my Foo-ish red lines for a moment, this suit is a good example of an issue I've noticed with many of your coats. Your coats are often too tight at the waist. It becomes increasingly noticeable when they have patterns, like this pinstripe.

The red line follows the pinstripe. Above the buttoning point, the line is straight. Below the buttoning point, the line is at an angle. The line should continue straight to the hem.

You seem to have a good sense of style. I don't know if you're altering your coats, but they appear to have nipped waists. I'd recommend either easing up on that alteration or looking at letting out the waist.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothing inherently bad here, everything fits and nothing is offensive or of bad taste - but you pushed it to the end of the boredom continuum. Solid on solid on solid. Could have used one pattern here (and I'm not talking about the square). Also another instance where black shoes would have worked better with the cool color palette IMO

Spot on, mate.

I knew I'd be pushing things into the boring sphere with this ensemble. However, today's fit was a test run for 1) the new Hober midnight blue challis, and 2) the sleeve length of my last shirt from Charles Nakhle. Love the first, but I might have to bring the shirt in for a tad more sleeve reduction on the left side.

FWIW, I would have gone for either a checked or striped shirt with this suit and tie combo. Or a more overtly patterned suit (stripe or check); I tend not to do too many patterns at one hit, two is the max I'd go for.

Also correct about the black shoes; the tie is so dark it would have been able to stand up to black in the lower half of the body. Had misgivings before I stepped out the door, but when you're running late...

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Citan, the proportions would be more readily evident if pictures were taken at chest height. Can't really comment on fit otherwise.
If you have a mid-grey suit, I think the shirt & tie would go great with it.

If you will indulge me with my Foo-ish red lines for a moment, this suit is a good example of an issue I've noticed with many of your coats. Your coats are often too tight at the waist. It becomes increasingly noticeable when they have patterns, like this pinstripe.

The red line follows the pinstripe. Above the buttoning point, the line is straight. Below the buttoning point, the line is at an angle. The line should continue straight to the hem.
You seem to have a good sense of style. I don't know if you're altering your coats, but they appear to have nipped waists. I'd recommend either easing up on that alteration or looking at letting out the waist.

Thanks for the idea Z. I def. think this coat needs to be let out at the waist, as do several of my other coats. I do not request waist suppression as I want clean lines and shape rather than the "tight" look, so I will take a look into getting this altered. I also need to alter the shoulder bumps on the left side.

If you could, and UC as well, this is the best pic I could take today at chest level.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58019768@N02/6878276386/

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you could, and UC as well, this is the best pic I could take today at chest level.

I think some of the appearance of tightness in the waist may also be a result of the camera angle. With the camera raised, it appears less noticeable. I like the coats you have with more natural/rounded shoulders. They work with your build better than this type of shoulder. Shoulder alterations are tricky business that I think are best avoided.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My casual navy suit, a Dugdale Bros worsted with patch pockets and lighter horn buttons, has arrived at last!!!

Picking it up on Friday, and not a day too soon as it will bring the number of wearable suits to four and being a casual suit, open up a greater range of possibilities with regard to my more rustic ties and PSs.

Watch this space...

cliche

Reaction score
So he needs a giant, gaudy Hermes "H" logo belt to be SF approved?

The man to the left is not the great talking more about the man to the right. I tink a clear balance of summer outfit is mutch nicer to mix it up. It's just a personal taste. I think his outfit was very nice in general.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think some of the appearance of tightness in the waist may also be a result of the camera angle. With the camera raised, it appears less noticeable. I like the coats you have with more natural/rounded shoulders. They work with your build better than this type of shoulder. Shoulder alterations are tricky business that I think are best avoided.

yes, the angle has alot to do with it and also, I was moving my leg in that otheer picture I noticed, could have led to the red line distortion you mentioned. I do think some of my jackets need to be let out a bit. Admittedly, my tastes have evovled and I have realized I can look like I have a good shape to a jacket without overdoing waist suppression. The shoulders on this jacket were an experiment (Polo bradford cut) as it was suggested to me a few months ago to try shoulders such as this. I agree that the natural shoulder with a bit of extension is my best bet. I appreciate your comments.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New bespoke shirts on the rather very extreme side, athletic model without darts and loads of unnecessary handywork decorum.

Did you intentionally have your shirt made like that?

Even the cut without darts is intentional and there is also "gathering" around the cuffs, I also have more modest models (more straight cut, slimmer sleeves, less "gathering") that Vox wouldnt use on the Mensurboden for security reasons.
I also use different configurations for the cuffs/collars, fused and unfused in different strenghts for different shirts.
I like the idea that this is so overboardingly (to keep the pirate theme) excessive in its details as one doesnt see most of the shirt most of the time anyway.

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
End of the day linen. Please excuse the blown-out highlights. Brooks Brothers OCBD, LL Bean Signature linen jacket, Brooks Brothers Makers all linen olive green tie.

IMG_1098.jpg

Chinos are Martin & Osa. Boots are Herring suede Something-or-others. Unseen watch is an Oris something or other. The jacket's too short and too tight. Also, while I acknowledge my head is giant, the camera is totally making it seem even more so…

IMG_1096.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads