• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Withaque

Reaction score
Gazzman,

With fits like that, you shouldn't stay away. Very nice. Though I am sure your socks are not for some, I like the look.

Withaque

Reaction score

patternse.jpg

These two combinations pose the same problem to me. On the left, the tie appears to have pindots, but the dots really create small squares that are basically the same size as the gingham pattern on the shirt. On the right, it looks like a grenadine. Like the tie on the left, the tie doesn't technically have a square pattern, but, visually, the weave effectively creates a small square pattern that mimics the pattern in the shirt.

I can see why when grabbing these ties, one could think that they don't have matching patterns with the shirts. Hell, the tie on the right is a solid. However, the visual effect of each just doesn't work for me with the shirts.

I agree with the comments for the pic on the right. However, Holdfast's combination is masterful. If I had this shirt and tie in my closet, I might not have paired them for the same reasons you mentioned above.

I looked at this for a while and kept saying to myself "this shouldn't work". But it does and it does so very well.

Last edited:

ColonialBoy

Reaction score

The problem with Kevin's look becomes really apparent in black-and-white:

1000x500px-LL-674f5d05_015.jpg

The shirt and suit blend together, and the tie is lighter than the shirt.
V V- While your point regarding the similarity in tone of the subject's shirt and suit may be valid, I don't believe your method of substantiating it is applicable for two reasons. Firstly, I'm not aware that anyone's color blindness is so extreme that they see in black and white and secondly reducing any two adjacent colors to black and white can result in matching shades of gray depending on the hues and saturation. One could easily post a picture in color of a red rose on green grass that in black and white would appear as two identical shades of gray. Point taken... but process not so much.

It's just a tool to help diagnose, something that I learned working in graphic design. It's not a hard-and-fast rule.

Van Veen is right. Graphic artists generally work in the (Hue, Saturation, Value) colorspace, not (Red, Green, Blue).

Converting to black-and-white means that colours with the same saturation appear the same. Van Veen was pointing out that the suit and shirt have the same saturation; in a 'typical' look the saturation of the shirt is way less than the shirt and suit.

Color theory is worthy of a thread because its absolutely fundamental to graphic design and matching colors.

Last edited:

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't stop looking at the classy guy in the background wearing a baseball cap.

That's Jack Abramoff. He's been out since last December.

57207531.jpg

Sonny58

Reaction score

Sonny58

Love the jacket. I have been wanting to get a vibrant blue SC for a while. Did you pick it up here, in town, recently? Where?

You look like you can pull off a bow tie on regular basis. But this one is not the best choice for the blue jacket/blue shirt combination. try the same outfit with a larger pattern and darker color. It looks like a white tie with a light plaid pattern on it. If this was not a bow tie , but a traditional tie with a four in hand knot, would you have worn it with this fit?

Try the tie with a medium to light gray jacket and a white or off white shirt.

Your last few fits have looked really good. And deets on the jacket, please.

Thanks for the observations and suggestions With. I will definitely go for more contrast in the tie next time around. Unfortunately, it (contrast) is something I naturally shy away from for fear of being too bold. But my few posts here have made me understand it's a different issue. As for the coat... yes it is a local acquisition. Nick Lopez made if for me earlier this Spring. It is a wool/cashmere blend in a hopsack weave that makes a good year-round jacket here in Houston. Wears beautifully with little wrinkling, etc. I've been very pleased with it.

Last edited:

stylesbitchly

Reaction score

Still trying.

My first chino suit. I was always apprehensive wearing one to work because of wrinkles. Held up pretty well.

How does the taper on the pants look?

Josh

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even those pictures are poor, the suit looks ok :). But you should try to use a pocket square.

Last edited:

jqmunro

Reaction score
Gaz, I like everything there but I'd personally choose a different watch.

Last edited:

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did the secret service sector took down Victor from Russia?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Did the secret service sector took down Victor from Russia?

I was actually going to start a thread about members who influenced the forum in less than 100 posts.

Now I may have to edit that to have no more than 250 posts :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads