• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some might prefer blue, but I think white absolutely goes with everything. I think i t is as neutral as neutral gets.

And I think it most definitely goes with pink.

FTFY
wink.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Some might prefer blue, but white absolutely goes with everything. It is as neutral as neutral gets.

And it most definitely goes with pink.

maybe "it goes" with everything, but it does not look good with everything. and this coming from a white shirt fran.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some might prefer blue, but white absolutely goes with everything. It is as neutral as neutral gets.

[...]

Yes.

I think the choice of white or blue is often a matter of desired formality: white if one wants to dress up, blue if one wants to dress down.

Contrast with the tie can be an issue too, in a few cases. A pale yellow tie will often show better against pale blue than against white.

Not that anyone here would ever own a yellow tie, of course. I’m speaking in the abstract …

Cheers,

Ac

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

White shirt goes with everything. Is it optimal for every situation? No.

with some lighter color ties it all looks washed out imo. sure, as gdl pointed out, low contrast can be great, but washed out is bad whereas low contrast can be good.

also, just because it may go does not always make it the best option.

my 2 cents anyways.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the pink tie looks too washed out. I also didn't really care for the tie itself.

I think a light blue tie would have been a better choice for ETB's outfit.

So I don't think it's a matter of a light blue shirt being better there ... I think it's a matter of picking a better tie if you decide on a white shirt.

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Damn Stitchy, you even nailed the smile!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

SkySaw

Reaction score
This is my first post to this thread - until recently I have dressed in either an extremely casual style, or a suit. However, I have begun to try to find a style that better suits my current outlook, which is something in between. I will be speaking at an academic conference very soon, and I used to just wear a suit to these things. Attendees wear a whole range of fits to conferences, from suits to chinos/polo-shirts; I don't want to dress in either of these styles, as a suit feels too formal, and the chinos/polo-shirt wearing conference presenter look just isn't me. I would appreciate any suggestions on this for a start:

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

This is my first post to this thread - until recently I have dressed in either an extremely casual style, or a suit. However, I have begun to try to find a style that better suits my current outlook, which is something in between. I will be speaking at an academic conference very soon, and I used to just wear a suit to these things. Attendees wear a whole range of fits to conferences, from suits to chinos/polo-shirts; I don't want to dress in either of these styles, as a suit feels too formal, and the chinos/polo-shirt wearing conference presenter look just isn't me. I would appreciate any suggestions on this for a start:
Not a bad outfit at all, and a good start, but room for improvement in some of the finer aspects. For starters, your belt looks of the casual variety, like one that should only be worn with jeans/chinos. I say that because it looks fairly wide and with a casual buckle style, but it’s difficult to tell from the pic, so I could be wrong. Secondly, a better button-down collar would really improve the look. Something with a nice roll and longer points, like Kamakura. I'd also suggest a better tie knot (four-in-hand) and a dimple. There's something funky going on with your left shirt cuff. It looks very loose and way too much is showing. Maybe you just forgot to button it, because your right sleeve looks perfect. You could hem the pants a little shorter for a cleaner look, and consider cuffing them, too (though I recognize cuffs are more about personal preference than anything else). Lastly, your jacket looks like it's part of a suit: very smooth finish, heavily structured shoulders, flap pockets, etc. There's nothing that distinguishes it as a blazer, and wearing an orphaned suit jacket is frowned upon around here. And consider a pocket square. All that said, these nitpicks are based on StyleForum standards. In the real world, that outfit is perfectly acceptable as is, and you'll be better dressed than most. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads