• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RTC:

You're too hip to own a shirt that dark, or to wear it with a tie.
Yeah. I took the tie off in the afternoon when everyone left the office. I think it looked much better that way. I think a pink or a lighter red tie would have made it pop more. It wouldn't have been 'classic' in the least, but I think that could have worked.

Expect better things from me starting in the new year. I just set my floor.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Clothes are like condoms. You probably don't want anything to pop. Now, I think there are ways to make "deliberate bad taste" work. But it ain't with insipid clothes, and there ain't no half-stepping. There's no "this is traditional but then there's one out-there touch." That's just a problem. Dalí didn't paint pictures with one bizarre detail. That kind of thing is much harder to do than quiet coherence (which presents its own challenges), and doing it well is a formidable skill. Think LabelKing (before my time, for the most part, but a cool dude), if you want.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much, RTC: SF hates dark shirts (especially with a light jacket, they're a bit "Saturday Night Fever"), and the simplest remedy for the rest is don't wear several solid colours together. I've had that habit myself at times, and although nobody actually pointed to that (more fixated on my terrible pictures, socks or shoelaces, usually), it's something I adopted after looking at pictures on here for a while. A little pattern and texture makes a background and foreground which is pleasing. The exception being formal wear (black/white tie), which is why it has to be black and white.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Pliny @mimo

Nice work gents, particularly likin those ties
nod[1].gif

I was just about to say that I like the ties and I like the jackets, but that in neither case are the ties the optimal choice for the jackets (or vice-versa). In Mimo's the scale of pattern is too close and in Pliny's, I don't know exactly, but I get the feeling that a solid knit would be so much better.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
FM, you have a point. As I walked out I kind of wished I'd put a green knit or madder on instead, for that exact reason. Looking at the jacket and tie close up, the pattern is indeed a very similar scale. I decided in the end that the difference in colour, the angle of the check on the tie, and the visibly different texture, avoided their clashing or blending into one.

But...as you said, perhaps not optimal. In Pliny's case, I don't like the reverse-stripe shirt. To be fair I don't much like them in general, but especially with a softer country look. Probably just me. The rest of him is beautiful, obviously.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something retro-professorial for Xmas Eve. My first attempt at wearing a bow tie with a three-piece suit.

Suit, shirt, tie, overcoat - BB
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via DeNatale, NYC
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Finsbury, Paris
Scarf - Hickey Freeman
Hat - Selentino

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Crusty! But don't be surprised if you are mistaken for a caroler, as opposed to a financial titan...:D

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice Crusty! But don't be surprised if you are mistaken for a caroler, as opposed to a financial titan...:D

It would be a mistake to confuse me with either role :D .

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Crusty will be selling [only the most tasteful] relics after Midnight Mass.

Looking wonderful, UC, especially the dickie.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
excellent, crusty.

---

no full pic. not really happy with the shirt here. and final voyage for these shoes. all in all, very :( .

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crusty will be selling [only the most tasteful] relics after Midnight Mass.

Looking wonderful, UC, especially the dickie.

Yes, I have some relics of St. Cuthbert, patron saint of natural fibers, which, if hung in your closet, will purge all polyesters from your wardrobe, and a large reliquary of the thigh bone of Saint Marcy of Syms, a great rarity (partially because she's not dead yet), the patron saint of never paying full retail. It even comes on a rolling stand, so that the owner can wheel it around a store, and it will inevitably find the owner something in his (or her) size marked down at least 50%.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
That's nice Stitchy, including the shirt. Why are your shoes leaving you?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Went with a more saturated tie than the last outing. Still figuring this jacket out.

SF Family:
Sam Hober (tie)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.