• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High-rise trousers; Good RTW or reasonably-priced MTM in London or Oslo?

Winding Ways

Reaction score
Hi Styleforum people. :) On my journey into classic menswear I've found I gravitate more and more towards higher-waisted trousers. My current favourite is a pair of Drake's cotton/wool chinos with a 29 cm (about 11.5 inches) rise, and a 34-inch waist. I wouldn't mind going a cm or two higher still actually.

Drake's is my go-to menswear brand for shirts and tailoring, but they have a very limited selection in trousers. Can you suggest some great RTW brands that do a similar rise or higher, or alternatively a MTM maker in London or Oslo that does a cotton (e.g. twill) trouser for around 300 GBP, if it's possible to get solid quality at that price. With RTW I'm pretty open-minded regarding style, but my dream style would probably be a single reverse pleat, and a bit of tapering but not slim-fit.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Styleforum people. :) On my journey into classic menswear I've found I gravitate more and more towards higher-waisted trousers. My current favourite is a pair of Drake's cotton/wool chinos with a 29 cm (about 11.5 inches) rise, and a 34-inch waist. I wouldn't mind going a cm or two higher still actually.

Drake's is my go-to menswear brand for shirts and tailoring, but they have a very limited selection in trousers. Can you suggest some great RTW brands that do a similar rise or higher, or alternatively a MTM maker in London or Oslo that does a cotton (e.g. twill) trouser for around 300 GBP, if it's possible to get solid quality at that price. With RTW I'm pretty open-minded regarding style, but my dream style would probably be a single reverse pleat, and a bit of tapering but not slim-fit.

Welcome, always nice to see fellow Norwegians!

In Oslo i think SF affiliate Cavour is a good choice. They have several stores and offer MTM from several brands. @kevinsvindland can probably tell you more.

Skabo and made with hart also offers MTM, but I have no experience with them.

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

For a high rise trouser I would say that MTM is probably the best way to get a good fit.
We offer Cavour MTM cotton trousers. H&S and LP fabrics, from around 4500 NOK. And Rota MTM is also at aprox the same price.
Ambrosi and Attolini are both hillariously nice, but atleast twice the price.

We are also working on a high waist RTW model in our own collection. Hopefully around 2500 NOK, if we can find a fabric that fits the bill.

Come by the store in Vika, and I’ll give you a tour of the options.

Winding Ways

Reaction score
@norMD thanks for the welcome, and the suggestions. :) Incidentally I actually stopped by Cavour last week and talked to Kevin! I regret not going for their MTM last week as they had a campaign going. I figured I'm sure I'll find something RTW online, but after literally hours of searching I've yet to find anything. :/ Apparently high rise is a lot more niche than I thought.

@kevinsvindland thanks for the rundown. I'll drop by and check out the fabrics!

Btw to anyone else reading the thread, I stop by London for work each month, so any suggestions there would also be very welcome.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, their MTM campaign was a good deal.

Swedish brand Berg and berg have high rise trousers, but not exactly like you describe.

Regarding London Im sure several members have experience. Permanentstyle.com also writes about many tailors and can be a good place to start reading.

Another option would be the styleforum - iGent way and let luxire copy your favorite trousers with tweaks. Normally one needs two or three pants before fit is spot on.

Winding Ways

Reaction score
@norMD I did check out Berg & Berg and I like some of their styles. Can anyone comment on the quality of the trousers though? My only experience with them is I ordered a 7-fold tie that was IMHO very poorly folded, but could have been unlucky I guess.

I've read a bit on Permanent Style, however it seems most of the content there is about stuff that is well above my price range. Not all of it though.

I'm dubious about the Luxire option; If I get something MTM I'd rather take the wallet-pain and get it right the first time.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a look a "Kit Blake" trousers, also available on The Rake. Chris Modoo is making very good, high-rise, trousers in a variety of cloths. The price is within your stated budget, too.

DrapeCut

Reaction score
lol, really? ~$500 for a pair of pants? God forbid something happens at the cleaners haha. You must have a very special butt hole.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you checked out Quy? Went to his store on Saturday and checked out the trousers and MTM.
His RTW fits your price range, and the trousers are really nice.

Winding Ways

Reaction score
Have you checked out Quy? Went to his store on Saturday and checked out the trousers and MTM.

Cool, thanks for the tip! That's not far from where I live, will definitely stop by the shop and check the products out. Not crazy about seersucker personally, but the cut looks nice.

Winding Ways

Reaction score

I went by Quy's shop, and wow! Tiny shop, big style. He's got fabrics like Fox Bros, Loro Piana etc, and some nice house cuts. I wasn't keen on the SS19 RTW trouser fabrics, but he happened to have a deadstock pair of brown brushed cotton pleated trousers which were almost exactly what I was looking for, including the colour. I would have preferred an even higher rise (29.5 cm front rise including waistband), but very close to my desired cut for an RTW pair. Excited to try them out. Highly recommend checking out the shop, might try MTM there if the trousers work out.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went by Quy's shop, and wow! Tiny shop, big style. He's got fabrics like Fox Bros, Loro Piana etc, and some nice house cuts. I wasn't keen on the SS19 RTW trouser fabrics, but he happened to have a deadstock pair of brown brushed cotton pleated trousers which were almost exactly what I was looking for, including the colour. I would have preferred an even higher rise (29.5 cm front rise including waistband), but very close to my desired cut for an RTW pair. Excited to try them out. Highly recommend checking out the shop, might try MTM there if the trousers work out.
Sounds like you had a great experience

Winding Ways

Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great experience

Sure did. I actually went back and bought another deadstock pair in the same cut and size. The second pair is in a lightweight light grey flannel. Love the shop just on the basis of the product and service, and it's a bonus to be able to support a small local business IMO.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure did. I actually went back and bought another deadstock pair in the same cut and size. The second pair is in a lightweight light grey flannel. Love the shop just on the basis of the product and service, and it's a bonus to be able to support a small local business IMO.
I'm ordering a jacket soon myself. Just need to decide on tweed vs cotton

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member