• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hi guys

bubbleboys

Reaction score
I've been creeping around this forum for a few weeks now and decided to join.

I currently live and work out on Long Island.

I was never big on men's fashion until it finally got hammered into my brain that 1) women like a well dressed man and 2) I feel empowered and good in general when I'm well dressed. Both being good things, I started my forays into fashion.

Having just graduated from college and working most of the time, my main focus is business casual/formal. I recently discovered Charles Tyrwhitt shirts and the british cut of dress shirts and am loving it. I just bought some nice pair of bostonians this past weekend.

My next purchase is a suit from Paul Stuart. I'm a big fan of how their suits fit me. I'm currently waiting for their after christmas sale (or at least that's what I've been hearing). If anybody has any more information on Paul Stuart, sales wise or opinions, I'd really appreciate it if you shared them.

Pawz

Reaction score
Hello, there.

I joined just today.

My favorite designers are Giorgio Armani (I wear Emporio - Giorgio) and Ermenegildo Zegna.

I don't know much about Paul Stewart other than he makes some rather colorful socks (of all things).

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pawz
Hello, there.

I joined just today.

My favorite designers are Giorgio Armani (I wear Emporio - Giorgio) and Ermenegildo Zegna.

I don't know much about Paul Stewart other than he makes some rather colorful socks (of all things).

You are thinking of Paul Smith. Also - is this some kind of complicated spam hoax?

bubbleboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
You are thinking of Paul Smith. Also - is this some kind of complicated spam hoax?

...no it's not a complicated spam hoax, at least not on my end

why would you think this was some sort of spam hoax?

bubbleboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sunror
nice thing about paul stuart is their stock of odd sizes like 41l 43l etc

what do you think of their suits as compared to other suits in the same price range? I'm talking about the $1000 suit that paul stuart has.

Red Fish Blue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bubbleboys
what do you think of their suits as compared to other suits in the same price range? I'm talking about the $1000 suit that paul stuart has.
IMO, it's not quite as nice as the $1100 suit that paul stuart has.

sunror

Reaction score
i think you can get a better cost/value if you buy something else on sale and take it to a tailor, if we are talking strictly materials/construction. i think my ps suit is fused or half-fused - a low end isaia model if i recall correctly. i like the jacket on it a lot, and the half-sizing + l might be the best jacket fit ive found off the rack, but the roomy rise in the pants is a problem. i have an eleven inch drop and even with the recutting they did the pants are too roomy by my junk. have had the same problem with other off the rack makers though. it's a largely hassle-free experience but if cost/value is paramount follow some of the forum leads and take your purchase to an independent tailor for adjustment.

bubbleboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sunror
i think you can get a better cost/value if you buy something else on sale and take it to a tailor, if we are talking strictly materials/construction. i think my ps suit is fused or half-fused - a low end isaia model if i recall correctly. i like the jacket on it a lot, and the half-sizing + l might be the best jacket fit ive found off the rack, but the roomy rise in the pants is a problem. i have an eleven inch drop and even with the recutting they did the pants are too roomy by my junk. have had the same problem with other off the rack makers though. it's a largely hassle-free experience but if cost/value is paramount follow some of the forum leads and take your purchase to an independent tailor for adjustment.

Thanks for the info

Eventually, I hope to become proficient enough to know what I want in a suit. As of now, all I know is that I like suit A over suit B when I wear one after the other. Obviously I can feel if a suit fits me well but beyond that, I wouldn't know how to tell a tailor what I want and I remember reading somewhere that you should really only do what you're suggesting when you've become seasoned enough to know what you want in a suit; I'm not.

I have started to learn a little bit. Like I've learned that with my body shape, I need to have the lower back of all suit jackets taken in a bit, otherwise it is a bit baggy since my body is v shaped and tapers down from the shoulders. It's not that bad but its these small things that I need to be able to formulate to a tailor.

BTW what do you mean by an "eleven inch drop " in terms of tailoring?

bubbleboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Red Fish Blue
IMO, it's not quite as nice as the $1100 suit that paul stuart has.

Is the difference that noticeable?

I tried on their $1000 suit and their $2000 suit as well as the $1500 suit.

I think I noticed a slight improvement in the jump from $1000 to $1500 but no real improvement from $1500 to $2000. Could have just been my imagination.

Pawz

Reaction score
Ah, yes. Paul Smith. lol Obviously I don't buy either.

Spam? This looked like an intro thread with an incidental question intended to beget conversation, which I replied to accordingly. Meh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads