• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought the son a pair of Loake Thompson in the sale, delivered next day. Can't fault these guys !!!:slayer:

rangen930

Reaction score
I made a few calls about duties, etc.

The test case is a pair of Herring Burlington which go for $255.

I am in the Midwest but I don't know if that matters. Basically there is a duty rate of about 10% (in my case about $25). Then there is a carrier fee (if you go through DHL which is what is on the herring site). The carrier fee is 2% of the duty. There is a minimum of $11 carrier fee so I would pay that since 2% would not meet that. Items under $2500 do not pay customs fees. Items under $200 are duty free.

I would pay for the shoes and the shipping at time of purchase. Once the shoes make it to the states I would get an email telling me what extras I owe (should be $36 in this case) and the link to pay the fees, etc online. Once I pay, the shoes start moving again in 24hrs.

This is all from the DHL import person. I don't know if others have different experiences, this is all academic at this point. I obviously have no experience.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
I made a few calls about duties, etc.

The test case is a pair of Herring Burlington which go for $255.

I am in the Midwest but I don't know if that matters. Basically there is a duty rate of about 10% (in my case about $25). Then there is a carrier fee (if you go through DHL which is what is on the herring site). The carrier fee is 2% of the duty. There is a minimum of $11 carrier fee so I would pay that since 2% would not meet that. Items under $2500 do not pay customs fees. Items under $200 are duty free.

I would pay for the shoes and the shipping at time of purchase. Once the shoes make it to the states I would get an email telling me what extras I owe (should be $36 in this case) and the link to pay the fees, etc online. Once I pay, the shoes start moving again in 24hrs.

This is all from the DHL import person. I don't know if others have different experiences, this is all academic at this point. I obviously have no experience.

I ordered from Herring last week. 2 pair of shoes, shipped DHL which arrived in 2 business days of the order (1 day to process the order and ship due to the time difference, the day after the package arrived). Amazingly fast!

With a discount they offered me to match pricing on another promotion i saw online for free US shipping, the total price was approx $500.

DHL delivered them with no collection of customs, and I expect to get a bill in the mail any day. Will report back on that when it happens.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
I ordered from Herring last week. 2 pair of shoes, shipped DHL which arrived in 2 business days of the order (1 day to process the order and ship due to the time difference, the day after the package arrived). Amazingly fast!

With a discount they offered me to match pricing on another promotion i saw online for free US shipping, the total price was approx $500.

DHL delivered them with no collection of customs, and I expect to get a bill in the mail any day. Will report back on that when it happens.

The bill came in today from DHL, 10% Duties = $57.73 ($11 of which was DHL fees).

All in all, very fair price in total for some great shoes. Will order from Herring again, no doubt.

Odradek

Reaction score
Herring Exmoor.
Has anyone here got a pair?

Thinking about a new pair of boots for winter but am wondering how practical these would be with all that tweed so close to the ground.

Might be better off to go for the Langdale, or else the slightly more expensive option, the Coniston.

Sudonihm

Reaction score
Although there is no way to work out possible duty, there is an option on their site to use Royal Mail.

Duty will vary when using couriers but do find that using the postal service avoids custom charges.

Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone in the states used the Royal Mail? Have you incurred custom charges?

SSingh1975

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone in the states used the Royal Mail? Have you incurred custom charges?

I bought a pair of Burfords and they used RM. Was mailed last Thursday and it's still en-route. I'll update with delivery date/custom charges (if any).

Funny the RM tracking only tracks to when item entered US (which was on Sat morning) and no updates after that. Not sure if RM gets offloaded to USPS or some other 3rd party.

I'm intrigued as this is my first English boots (can't get right fit on Allen Edmonds L :-().

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Burfords and they used RM. Was mailed last Thursday and it's still en-route. I'll update with delivery date/custom charges (if any).

Funny the RM tracking only tracks to when item entered US (which was on Sat morning) and no updates after that. Not sure if RM gets offloaded to USPS or some other 3rd party.

I'm intrigued as this is my first English boots (can't get right fit on Allen Edmonds L :-().

Yes, RM will be delivered by USPS. I have not yet had to pay duties on items delivered by RM/USPS but I have always paid on items delivered by DHL.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bill came in today from DHL, 10% Duties = $57.73 ($11 of which was DHL fees).

All in all, very fair price in total for some great shoes. Will order from Herring again, no doubt.

Just a tip, next time you do, ask them to ship with Royal Mail. You're less likely to get hit with duties and/or customs.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
Looked in to it, but the additional fee Herring charges for Royal basically was the same as the duties (extra 25 GBP)... Maybe because it was 2 pairs...

SSingh1975

Reaction score
Mine got delivered today via USPS (signature required and customs form attached but no charges..thank god).

Ordered: Aug 4th (paid by paypal).
Mailed Out : Aug 7th (my order got delayed as they supposedly upgraded their website and ran into minor issue with paypal payment but they quickly fixed it next day).
(Royal Mail)
Delivered by USPS: Aug 11th (incl weekend) ...no charges for custom.

On the same note, I bought a Breitling B1 from a retailer in Netherlands and USPS did the end delivery and that one was valued at $2200. No custom fees at all and it's been almost 2 months (knocks on wood).

Overall, EXTREMELY pleased with Herring and delivery (considering I lost 2 days in weekend and one day in paypal mixup).

And LOVE THE BURFORD BOOTS (will post in the Loakes thread). My 1st English pair of boots and my 1st transaction with Herring and both #1.

cnh121

Reaction score
Gents,

Could use some advice on these shoes. Brand new Herring Knightsbridge Rubber. There is some scuffing on the leather that I haven't seen before on other new shoes. Thoughts? Should I return or will it buff out?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics