• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help the Style Impaired - Wardrobe Rebuild

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by captainmo
501s are probably too tight. Maybe try 505 - straight cut, but slightly looser than 501.

Target is also good for cheap basics. I picked up some long sleeve Ts that are just like one I bought at J Crew, but for 1/3 of the price (good thing I got the JCrew one on sale).

isn't 501 and 505 same cut one with button fly one with zipper?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
@Willmagic: I have that American Apparel polo (edit: actually, mine is the pocket one, it looks quite similar though), actually have it on right now. I love the body of it, the small is sized almost perfectly for me (after hot washed and shrunk) and at it's price I'd say is definitely worth it... But it's far from the greatest polo ever. The sleeves are weird, they sort of flare out, the button placket is really long, which is fine when you're wearing it alone, but makes it a little odd for layering I find.
I love that AA pocket polo as well, but don't have the fit issues you have. I thin they are great layered under a hoody. There is a guy on Ebay who sells them, along with most AA basics, super cheap.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racove
Congrats on the weight loss. Truly amazing.

First things to replace: graphic tees, skull belt & oakleys. No skulls, no wings, no dragons, etc! You could replace all of these cheaply at target like for $100 total. get solid blank tees, a plain belt & some aviators. you'd look 100% better immediately. then just lurk & learn.

Plain white and grey t-shirts would be good first additions.

heisenberg

Reaction score
So, day 1 of "Let's Stop Dressing Like ****":

Taken out of rotation:
Skull belt
Green skull shirt
Black & Red "Gothic" Tee
Red tee with the faced skulls and the bird
Light brownish tee with random tattoo-like insignia
Green eagle

Workwear for today:
Attachment 16644
Attachment 16645

Chinos, plain belt, black B.Republic Polo. Polo's still ill-fitting but not much I can do about that.

So, specific questions:
1) Should I try to get jeans that fit like the chinos, or am I still off the mark there?
2) This belt beats the skull, correct?
3) For tees, do ribbed work alright, like the green one below?
Attachment 16647

Or should I stick with something simpler still, like the plain black?
Attachment 16646

I know that the fit on them isn't right, but I already had them in my closet. I didn't post them before because I never wore them.

In general - a step up from before?

When you buy your shoes a half size bigger, do you feel your heel slightly sliding out of the shoe?
I do indeed. I'm guessing that's bad.

Anything bold would be harder to mix and match with printed shirts and 9 times out of 10 blazers should never be the boldest part of the outfit.
Should I try thrifting for those, or should I be prepared to shell out a few bills?

(just like the brown Ecco's, only better no offense)
None taken - that's why I'm here!

I guess I can lurk a bit to try and answer this one, but how do I determine "better", aside from just brand name?

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That green tee fits good. Your jeans should be a little tighter than those chinos. And nice belt.
fing02[1].gif

illegalcheeser

Reaction score
How long does it take you to grow the goatee? If not long, try shaving it and seeing what it looks like. Clean-cut would be a good look on you IMO.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vast improvement.

Congrats, you are in at least the 98 percentile of stylish people in America.
laugh.gif

heisenberg

Reaction score
Goatee didn't take long. I'll shave it tonight and post tomorrow.

Day 1 Continued - Let's Not Look Like I'm on the Beach

The general consensus was Aviators. So, I went to Sunglass Hut and grabbed a few pics of a few different pairs. Thoughts?

A: Standard aviators, gunmetal, about $190:
Attachment 16732

B: Mosley Tribes - $275
Attachment 16733

C: Original aviators - teardrop in gold
Attachment 16734

D: Mirror aviators
Attachment 16735

My personal view: C and D are garbage. A is probably easier to work than B, plus they're cheaper.

Thoughts from everybody? Any of those look good? Should I scrap all of those and try again? Go for a different style completely? Try again without the goatee?

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first pair of glasses look the best.

I predict you'll make incredible progress. But beware of a lot of the advice you get on this board because something funny happens after you've been fully assimilated into the styleforum cult...You realize that you suddenly look a hell of a lot better than before, but every single fit is boring as ****.

laugh.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
...but every single fit is boring as ****.

laugh.gif

???

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice first post, also congrats on losing weight.

Just wanted to throw out my 2 cents since a lot of good advice has already been given.

Since your body is still changing, I would hold off buying anything too expensive, like anything over $80. For example, APC's are notorious for stretching, and if you wear them enough, they won't fit once you lose the next 10-20 lbs. Now while they retail for $150, they can be had for 2/3 or 1/2 the price for slightly used ones on ebay if you are savvy with that. Plus button fly rocks, I prefer them to zippers.

This also applies to many tailored clothing and coats. I wouldn't invest in anything too nice until you are done with your weight loss. But once you are there, feel free to splurge, it'll be worth it.

What you can do immediately is get new shoes (cause your feet are probably not going to change in size). You said you live near a Nordstrom rack? I've been to one and they had lots of Allen Edmonds for something like $100 less than retail or 1/2 the price. They are really good quality dress shoes (from what I've heard) and you should find one in your size ASAP to replace the square toe shoes. And even though they have leather soles, they should be just as comfortable once broken in properly. Walk around the store in them (it's nordstrom rack, no one gives a ****).

Also sunglasses are one of those purchases that have the highest cost/value ratio. Meaning their price is often not justified. If you do find something you like, make a mental note of the brand and style number and google it when you get home. Often times, you can find them for a lot less on an internet wholesaler website. And if they are based in the U.S. they are likely authentic.

Hope this helps.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members