• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help me decide on these three thrift shop suits

pgoat

Reaction score
I picked up three suits at a local shop very inexpensively. No dressing room, and I realized when I got home the pants all were too short by 2.5 to 3".

They have cuffs, so I guess I could get them altered cheaply at the cleaners, and wear with plain bottoms - problem is, I really prefer cuffs. Plus, one of the suits is cotton - which people tell me leaves a fold line from the old hem - and the nicest of the three is missing one sleeve button. Not sure how tough those are to match and replace.

Would you have them fixed or just sell them on ebay and cut losses? I should come close to getting all my money back (I spent less than $100 on all three and they are decent brands).

Also, what are 'false cuffs'? Is that an option?

pgoat

Reaction score
the cotton suit is a basic Brooks Bros. 2 button

The other two are Burberry, fused front, but pretty decent feeling wool. One is a navy light weight worsted with subtle pinstripe in excellent condition and the other is a subtle beige plaid with a very soft almost cashmere-like hand. That is the nicest of the three imo, and unfortuantely is also the one missing the button.

So none are heirloom suits or anything, but for what I paid ($20 each) it was worth the gamble. I just don't know If I'd be better off trying to salvage the hems or just selling them. I imagine I could at least get my $60 back on ebay, which would be fine with me. But I liked finding the cotton BB and the plaid, as I don't have suits like that in my closet. (I have plenty of pinstripes)

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Just tell everyone they're Thom Browne, then it's all cool.

tongue.gif

Tom

Fritz

Reaction score
I’d get the beige plaid fixed. If it doesn’t work out to your satisfaction, you can keep it as a sportscoat, and still sell the other two suits.

pgoat

Reaction score
I think I'm doing just what you suggested. The beige is my fave anyway, thus worth the expense and trouble. Thanks for chiming in everybody.
smile.gif

pgoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Hard to answer without knowing more about the suits. But shouldn't be hard to replace the sleeve button with something similar, if not quite matching. If worse came to worst, you could replace all the buttons with a new set.

BTW I solved this problem quite happily when I noticed an inner pocket with a button flap.....yes, the button was the same exact type and size as the sleeve buttons!
smile.gif
Nice when things work out that way......

pgoat

Reaction score
I posted ebay auctions for the cotton BB and Navy Burberry if anyone here needs a beater summer suit - esp with short inseam!

After taking pics and closely examining the Burberry I realized it had a few moth holes! I can't believe I missed them in the store.....or after trying it one several times at home. I started the Burberry at $10; couldn't ask any more than that with holes. I figure the pants are worth that if somepone needs a short inseam and likes striped pants alone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads