• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me authenticate a vintage Bertoia diamond chair?

Aung

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am buying a supposedly 20/30 yr old diamond chair from an older couple. They claim that it is authentic, but I can find no identification marks on the wire frame which has some chrome rust and damage. They do have a small seat pad with a Knoll paper tag on it.
But as you know, the seat pad is easily detachable and attachable to the wire frame, so this doesn't mean anything. Is there any other way I can ID this as an original vintage Bertoia diamond?

thanks!!! Responses from knowledgeable people will be much appreciated.

andyw

Reaction score
FYI the Knoll Bertoia chrome finish is notorious for rust and rusting accelerates if used outdoors. But iff the chrome finish has rusted on the chair you are considering, why would you want it even if authentic?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Steel wool usually does pretty good work with rust on chrome...of course it comes back eventually but hey...

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the authentic ones usually have a specific diameter for any year/period run, Knoll could verify, But you would need to provide the various diameters as they probably wont divulge
wink.gif

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it does have an authentic Knoll seat pad, then I'm sure the chair itself is authentic as well. The chair is not rare enough to justify the hassle of tracking down a vintage seat pad just to be able to pass off a reproduction chair as authentic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads