• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help an ex-MC guy pick some boots

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
wtf is hypebeast and why does everyone keep saying I'm going to look like one

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's a young, often East Asian, male who has a ton of disposable income (likely from his parents) that wears a hyped up garbage and looks like a fashion victim. Term comes from the site Hypebeast, which is about streetwear. And there's a whole world of online media around that, not just Hypebeast. Highsnobiety, Grailed, Complex, etc.

Anyway, the stuff you're looking into -- the SLP jacket, John Elliott (I assume for hoodies, jeans, and shirts), scoop neck tees, jodhpur boots, Rick Owens shoes, and Garcons Infideles are all going to make you look like a virgin who plays video games and reads about Kanye West online, then stands in Supreme lines and talks about luxury goods with your other annoying friends.

If I had magical powers over your decisions, I'd say leave all that dumb stuff alone. Check out Lemaire, Margiela, Kapital, Needles, etc for weird stuff. And Kaptain Sunshine cause I'm really into them right now. Also I think this thread is good for lookbook inspo

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/the-general-lookbook-appreciation-thread.527847/

Last edited:

happyriverz

Reaction score
^ But are Lemaire and Margiela (at least the current iteration) really "weird?" Kapital and Needle I can see as quirky.

I have a feeling that the combination of slightly oversized coat + textured knits + slightly roomy/pleated tapered pants + side zips will be the #menswear uniform of the late 2010s/early 2020s.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ But are Lemaire and Margiela (at least the current iteration) really "weird?" Kapital and Needle I can see as quirky.

I have a feeling that the combination of slightly oversized coat + textured knits + slightly roomy/pleated tapered pants + side zips will be the #menswear uniform of the late 2010s/early 2020s.

Maybe weird isn't the right word, but imo it looks "untraditional" in real life.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a young, often East Asian, male who has a ton of disposable income (likely from his parents) that wears a hyped up garbage and looks like a fashion victim. Term comes from the site Hypebeast, which is about streetwear. And there's a whole world of online media around that, not just Hypebeast. Highsnobiety, Grailed, Complex, etc.

Anyway, the stuff you're looking into -- the SLP jacket, John Elliott (I assume for hoodies, jeans, and shirts), scoop neck tees, jodhpur boots, Rick Owens shoes, and Garcons Infideles are all going to make you look like a virgin who plays video games and reads about Kanye West online, then stands in Supreme lines and talks about luxury goods with your other annoying friends.

If I had magical powers over your decisions, I'd say leave all that dumb stuff alone. Check out Lemaire, Margiela, Kapital, Needles, etc for weird stuff. And Kaptain Sunshine cause I'm really into them right now. Also I think this thread is good for lookbook inspo

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/the-general-lookbook-appreciation-thread.527847/

So, I'm not a huge SLP fan, but I really don't think that steering FOO is a completely different direction, and in a fairly prescriptive way, is very different from the restrictive classic menswear approach that I personally do not like at all. Me, I'd rather like to help FOO realize his SWD dreams in a way that doesn't impose my personal ideas of good taste on him, but does makes use of my knowledge in this area.

So, just a few points:
1) The label does matter. If FOO wants SLP, something else will not be a good substitute.
2) I have never gotten the idea from FOO that he is a "Get the look for less" type of guy, which is why I've not suggested anything other than other luxury brands that might offer a similar vision to SLP or have been the inspiration for SLP's characters in the first place.

@mafoofan - this is completely out on a tangent, but have you considered Guidi footwear, which is probably the most versatile of the "artisanal brands. While they are not really in the vein of the SLP aesthetic, they certainly are traditionally paired with slim bottoms with features like unfinished hems. Something like a pair of Guidi chelseas or backzips might fit the bill for you. They are carried at Atelier (www.ateliernewyork.com) and Hotoveli (www.hotoveli.com). And you won't even need to go uptown.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guidi chelseas are ugly. SLP and JE suck.

Wear Kapital and Visvim and be done with your crisis. Buy an Indian Motorcycle. Get a Blackmeans leather with a big patch of a Flaming Skull In A Suit With A Gingham Pocket Square on the back that says "SARTORIAL HEAT DEATH IS AN INEVITABILITY; WE ALL CONVERGE TO UNIQLO ANYWAYS" and put it on and then ride into the ******* sun as the legendary Foo you were always meant to be.

do not end it like this

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Foo: What do you guys think of this Anti-Social Social Club hoodie?

Me: What you're doing is hurting the CM community, of which you are part.

Fok: I support his FREE THINKING.

happyriverz

Reaction score
Maybe weird isn't the right word, but imo it looks "untraditional" in real life.

Some times I wonder if the message is really perceivable by real people. Last week I wore conservative business dress combo of staid sportcoats + dress trousers all week, and on Friday, wore an Ann D suit that is clearly "fashion" (as opposed to conservative lawyer dress) and everyone in my firm asked me why I was so dressed up on a Friday.
Guidi chelseas are ugly. SLP and JE suck.

Wear Kapital and Visvim and be done with your crisis. Buy an Indian Motorcycle. Get a Blackmeans leather with a big patch of a Flaming Skull In A Suit With A Gingham Pocket Square on the back that says "SARTORIAL HEAT DEATH IS AN INEVITABILITY; WE ALL CONVERGE TO UNIQLO ANYWAYS" and put it on and then ride into the ******* sun as the legendary Foo you were always meant to be.

do not end it like this

Wait, how is Visvim not a hypebeast label? I don't mean it in the sense that Visvim markets to that demographic like FOG/Amiri does, but like every week on Grailed's streetstyle feature there's some dude wearing a Visvim noragi. And let's not forget the rash of FBTs during the mid-2010s.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I very much appreciate the detailed and thoughtful suggestions from dieworkwear, but I think they are too anchored in classic menswear. Not surprising since, of course, as that's how you all know me--a tailored clothing guy.

No, I don't think this is all that true to be honest. I don't think SLP is any more avant-garde than Needles, and frankly it's probably more classic.

But now I want to explore the option of dressing totally outside classic boundaries. This has nothing to do with wanting to dress a particular way, but more about expressing aesthetic and cultural inclinations that I previously didn't.

Wait so now I'm confused - are you tying yourself to the SLP aesthetic or are you more open to other suggestions?

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude just wants some boots and an SLP DR jacket that fits.

I like Visvim but wait a minute, if SLP’s what he wants he’ll put some money in it...

JSAN

Reaction score
SLP is a great place to start from on your SWD journey in all honesty. It's pretty much diluted and more wearable Dior Homme. You can easily switch to a different aesthetic once you have the SLP pieces and know what you do and don't like from them.

I think what everyone is trying to do is save you money, because no doubt when they started SWD they would have bought all this stuff they regret. SLP might be that brand for you but it's a pretty good place to start.

Also:
https://imgur.com/a/0sHWK

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
SLP is a great place to start from on your SWD journey

Foo, embarking on his SWD sartorial journey:

collection2_thumb.jpg

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never thought I'd live so see this revelation from foo, just weird...first i saw him in the SLP thread a few days ago and had to check closer to see if it was indeed him...

Leather jackets pics was posted in the SLP thread

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads