• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavy Weight Wool Trousers?

Ennius

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I have a couple 14 ounce trousers which are warm enough to and back from work when its cold.

But I want to find some heavier ones - say 18 ounce+ - to wear when I am out in the cold for a while. For example I will be in London next week and will take a 3 hour outdoor walking tour. Heavy trousers seem might appropriate in this case.

Any suggestions where I can get heavier wool trousers - preferably in a modern cut? I dont want to look like I should be hunting on the moors, though there is nothing wrong with that look.

I live in NYC so any local suggestions are appreciated. And since I will be in London next week, any suggestions there would be appreciated, too.

Thanks.

Macallan

Reaction score
Have you considered flannel, they feel warmer compared to worsted wool?

From my own experience, there is not much difference between 14oz and 16oz cloth; however, i have tried 18oz - it would feel warmer, but how much warmer I do not know.

Are you just looking at rtw options?

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
I went through this last winter and ended up getting four pairs made - two flannel and two very heavy wool.

I love the flannel pants. They look and feel amazing.

I hardly ever wear the woollen ones.

Ennius

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

Thanks for the insights. I do prefer flannel or tweed in the winder as they seem warmer than worsted.

I think I want at least 20 ounce weight. I actually read about the old school 'gamekeeper' trousers that apparently were 24 ounce weight. It makes me think of folks walking on the Scottish moors in the winter.

I am certainly willing to consider MTM for good stuff. I hope it wouldnt cost over say $400-500.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surely long underwear is the sensible solution?

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Gents,

I have a couple 14 ounce trousers which are warm enough to and back from work when its cold.

But I want to find some heavier ones - say 18 ounce+ - to wear when I am out in the cold for a while.  For example I will be in London next week and will take a 3 hour outdoor walking tour.  Heavy trousers seem might appropriate in this case.

Any suggestions where I can get heavier wool trousers - preferably in a modern cut?  I dont want to look like I should be hunting on the moors, though there is nothing wrong with that look.

I live in NYC so any local suggestions are appreciated.  And since I will be in London next week, any suggestions there would be appreciated, too.

Thanks.

The moleskin pants from J Peterman are great winter ants in a heavy weight.

LoKey

Reaction score
For mtm, Luxire has Molloy and Sons tweeds that are 18 ounces. They've kept me warm in the northeast so far. +1 for Epaulet too. If you have specific questions about weight of different fabrics, they're pretty quick in answering emails.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also re: Luxire, they have some heavy cavalry twill and moleskins that will get close to what you want. The website can be a bit of a hassle to navigate, but there are definitely good options. Personally I find 14 ounce flannel and 18-20 ounce moleskins to be very effective in Chicago winters.

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
Flannel should easily do the trick. I have been walking all day in about -15C and haven't had any issues with lack of warmth. The trousers are from Suitsupply and I can indeed recommend them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads