• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair product similar to American Crew Fiber?

Phat Ham

Reaction score
The stylist used forming cream in my hair after my haircut. easy to apply and good hold, but shinier than I want and yeah the smell. Kind of like an old man baby powder smell.

breakdown

Reaction score
I keep on going back to Fiber. I've had decent success with Dirt, American Crew's Forming Cream, and Sharps Guck in a Puck Hard, but I have found fiber to be more versatile. I always use it on wet hair though, then mess it up when it dries for a natural look. Depending on how long I let it dry is how much of a hold it has, and it's never crusty or with residue. And sometimes for a more oily dirty look I just throw in a tiny tiny bit of coconut oil after it's dry.

I may give Gatsby a try since so many people rave about it here, but with Fiber being so easy to find here in NYC I don't know if it's worth it.

riotshield

Reaction score
I forgot about Gatsby. I used it (the 'moving rubber' product) when I lived in Korea and it works well for a strong hold/matte look. It's inexpensive (I think you can find it on eBay) and from Japan, but I think worse for your hair than Fiber. It left my hair feeling dried out.

Phat Ham

Reaction score
Update: I had my sister bring back some Gatsby moving rubber while she was in Japan. This stuff is awesome. I've been using the spikey edge (the pink one) and it is incredibly easy to work into my hair and holds very well. I also have the grunge matte (grey one) that is equally as awesome. It's more of a paste than the pink stuff but is still pretty easy to work into my hair. It's incredibly matte, like so matte that you can't tell there's anything in your hair. Not quite as much hold, but still pretty good.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i'm partial to Night Rider by Kevin Murphy. i have thick and coarse asian hair that usually laughs at any kind of wax or molding clay, so i usually have to use a lot more product than the average person to get any kind of hold. with this stuff, i use about a dime sized daub.

i was pleasantly surprised by Night Rider bc it has a softer texture (than AC Fiber) but it has a really nice amount of hold while still being moldable. most products like this either stay pliable in the hair but don't hold and dissipate into nothing, or they have a super hold but once you try to restyle it loses its original holding strength. anyway, with Night Rider, the heat from your hands makes the product moldable, but a few mins after you've put everything in place, it freezes it nicely. you can run your fingers through it again to try and restyle later and it will warm up into its moldable state again, but will then set again.

it's not a revolutionary concept or anything; it's what these types of products are supposed to do. i've just finally found one that does what it should, and if it works on my unruly hair, it should be plenty good enough for normal hair.

it's not greasy or sticky, which blows my mind bc i usually need something tacky to create any kind of hold. it definitely has a better hold than Fiber and smells way better - like a natural beeswax/orange scent. you can apply it to dry AND damp hair, but like all products like this you need to really rub the product in your hands till you can't see it anymore then apply.

BTW, i'm a hairstylist and have used just about everything from Murray's to Oribe's 24 Karat Gold Pomade.

i think i've pimped out Kevin Murphy enough, oy.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads