• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gym/Duffle Bag

ChicagoSuit

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new duffle bag to take to the gym and on weekend trips. The few previous threads on the topic have provided some guidance but I'm hoping that you fine people might be able to point me in a direction based on some experience. The following is the list that I'm considering:

I think that I want it to be around 20" long and I like the idea of the side pockets or at least some organization. My budget tops out around $400.

I'm leaning towards the Chapmen Sten, with the Filson small duffle being a close second. My concern with the Sten is it's apparent dearth of organization, especially considering the lack of internal pictures; although Filson doens't seem to provide any relief in that department. The Tumi seems utilitarian and fairly abhorrent but I've heard great things about their durability and organization.

I'm curious as to what you all think, especially those of you who have owned one or more of these bags. Thanks in advance for any input.

cleardot.gif

Last edited:

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gym bag and your weekend bag should be 2 different bags. I really like the bag from NMWA. Harris tweed with blue webbing looks sweet. Get an Oakley bag for your gym gear.

Last edited:

ChicagoSuit

Reaction score
Interesting point. Would that be to reduce wear?

The primary use of this bag would be for the gym, as I'm currently using a polyester Nike bag that is more at home with sweats than suits. I'm not sure that my budget would provide for two nicer bags at this point so I'll likely use the bag I choose for occasional weekend trips for the time being.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting point. Would that be to reduce wear?

The primary use of this bag would be for the gym, as I'm currently using a polyester Nike bag that is more at home with sweats than suits. I'm not sure that my budget would provide for two nicer bags at this point so I'll likely use the bag I choose for occasional weekend trips for the time being.

Leather and canvas are not good bags for a gym environment. Mostly due to wet towels, clothes, etc. If the bag is mainly for gym use, you can get a kick-ass bag for half of what you were willing to spend, and it will still be an awesome weekend bag. I would still go with an Oakley bag. I have found from my own personal experience that they are made quite well.

http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/bags-accessories/duffel-bags/category/m0604

Hope this helps.

ChicagoSuit

Reaction score
It most definitely does. Thanks for all your input Xiaogou!

After this discussion I'm leaning towards continuing to use the old Nike for the gym and getting a weekend bag from that list. In that vein, I'm still curious if anybody has firsthand experience using any of the above bags as a weekend duffle?

Shpirt

Reaction score

Best gym bag. Period. Sturdy, will take a ton of beating, comfortable, lots of compartments and easy to carry.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
I agree with using different bags for gym and travel. For the gym, I use a 35 yr old Celtics bag my aunt gave me. Been thinking of replacing it as the main zipper and one shoulder strap attachment are broken. Apera bags look good in pics but I'd like to see one in person.

Last edited:

ChicagoSuit

Reaction score
I am going to use separate bags, keeping the old Nike (for now) and getting the Filson small duffle for weekends.

It was quite difficult to choose between the Chapman and the Filson, but the deciding factor for me was the flap on the Chapman. The only way to secure the flap, as far as I can tell, is by threading the straps through those metal fixtures (I'm sure they have a name but I don't know it). This seems annoying and tedious, especially considering that I see no real benefit to the flap - perhaps as extra protection from the elements? I can't believe that a man's full-sized jacket could be draped neatly over a 21" bag, let alone my long ones (6'4").

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads