• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gym and running apparel.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks the cheapest **** available is good for running doesn't run but a handful of miles/week. Good gear is worth it. I just tell friends and family that running gear is always appreciated for birthdays and occasions so I dont have to pay for it myself.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Well if you want me to give you detail:
I just buy shorts and wear plain white T shirts from Target. I think the shorts are $10-15. They have basket ball length (below the knee almost 3/4 length) that I bought accidentally which I do not recommend. The other choice is shorts that I think are made for running that stop at the center or the knee or go slightly bellow it. I think its champion brand.

My favorite stuff is from under armor, but Im low on money right now so I use cheap stuff

I am not a fan of super baggy basket ball short, I think they look bad and sloppy.

I don't really see the gym as a place to look stylish, mostly function, so I get clothes that work and fit right.

I normally wear bikeshorts or boxerbriefs under the shorts.

If its cold and Im running outside, I wear shorts and a hoodie. If it's colder then 30F, I just don't exercise outside...

I've been wanting to get some running tights, as I've tried running in baggy tack pants (swish swish swish), but I am to self conscious to wear them. I've worn underarmor legging (basically tights) for skiing as a baselayer, and my I think it improves my strength and everything when I go skiing. I think they would work great as running gear, but I would feel weird (being a guy) just wearing running tights as a bottom. I would never wear those to a gym though. Track pants with shorts, and remove the track pants and work out in the shorts.

I try to buy high quality running shoes though.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
I've been wanting to get some running tights, as I've tried running in baggy tack pants (swish swish swish), but I am too self conscious to wear them. I've worn underarmor legging (basically tights) for skiing as a baselayer, and my I think it improves my strength and everything when I go skiing. I think they would work great as running gear, but I would feel weird (being a guy) just wearing running tights as a bottom. I would never wear those to a gym though.

It's not that big a deal. Wear tights if it works for what you're doing. It's hard for someone to stare at your junk if you're moving (running, biking, cardio). Different story if you're in front of a mirror lifting weights.

feabt6

Reaction score
It pretty much depends on what you do during your workouts -

Brooks, New Balance, and Nike make fantastic running shorts with liners (Brooks is my fav) for the gym. It's a thin fabric that lets your dissipate hear. About $20 on sale.

On the other hand, if you do much serious lifting, you may want to find something with a stiffer fabric. I've never liked basketball shorts for the gym, but UA outlets or Nike and Reebok outlets offer great value. You can also find running shorts with this thicker/rougher fabric too.

Stay away from cotton anything, save for socks. If you're sweating (and you should be) while working out, they only get soaked and annoying as you move around.

superseiyan

Reaction score
I'm going to ask here instead of starting a new thread.

Anyone wear adidas techfit? What's the sizing of those. I haven't seen any physical store around that has the actual items to try on. Ihear they're supertight. I don't want skin tight, but don't want/loose or baggy either.

If you're wearing a supercompression item, what sizes are you people getting? Sizing up?

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Champion C9 mesh shorts - 9.99 at Target. Any cheap T-shirt at Target: $5 or less.

Get into the gym, crank out your workout in 45 min and gtfo. Not sure any handwringing about gym attire is really warranted.

I still use my Champion C9 mesh shorts and the wick away type shirts that I bought 4 or 5 years ago. They're really a great value.

pk977

Reaction score
Anyone who have experienced on New Balance summer compression running shirt

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads