• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Likewise, I remember when the big box stores sold WWB .45s for $9.99 a box -- made feeding the Thompson much cheaper. Now that stuff is prohibitive.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on a number of things. To own a real Class III Thompson you'd have to live in a state that allows it, and then comply with many complicated Federal regulations, get a signature from your local sheriff, etc. So that is one hurdle. But do you mean 'keep' it in your car, as in permanently? I have no idea if that is legal or illegal, but it would be pretty unwise to leave a $20-$40k submachinegun in your car.

~ H

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most states don't allow you to keep a full automatic loaded in your car. I don't know of one that allows it, actually. Although there might be one or two.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was being half-silly. I don't intend to keep a fully-automatic Thompson in my car. I just love the gun and thought it funny thinking about pulling out a Thompson for a self-defense maneuver out of my car.

I am serious on keeping a firearm in my car, though. Right now I keep a golf club in the backseat :embar:.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had a great morning at the range with Mrs. Piob. She finally got a chance to start breaking in her new Ruger 10/22. I put a scope on hers just like the one on mine, a 3-9 x 40mm Simmons and hoped I had it well mounted without bore sighting. Set up a calibration target at 25 yards and her first shot was on paper. After several groups she was zero'ed out pretty well and moved her to 50 yards where she did just fine too.

I was feeling very good today at 100 yards. Did nine, ten round groups and was pretty happy so thought I'd move over to the 200 yard range and try at 150. That's really pushing the boundaries of this gun and scope. My groups were about 2-2.5 inches and I could not pull them any tighter. I think until I get a better scope and accurize this gun some I'm sticking to 100 yards max.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Here's my 150 yard target from yesterday. As you can see the center group is probably the best. Nine shots in 1.5" group with one flyer. The bottom left is also in a 1.5" square with one flyer and the others are even bigger with more flyers. I think this is demonstrating I'm at the edge of my current ability with this gun and scope combo at 150 yards. Seems the cost of better stock, barrel, and trigger group will be about $700 and then a better scope on top of that. Not sure I want to sink that kind of dollars into a gun I paid about $200 for.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice shootin' Piob.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, given that this is a thread about guns in a forum about aesthetics, I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet:

If it's made well enough I would think this would sell like hot cakes.

sayocean

Reaction score

Ordered some rough out Oak Street Boots to match this holster. Pops gifted me his Ruger Commander for Christmas.

You're really going to be carrying your gun around with an open trigger holster?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a scary black rifle a few months ago.

50 yards seated using iron sights. Really need an optic.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, given that this is a thread about guns in a forum about aesthetics, I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet:

If it's made well enough I would think this would sell like hot cakes.

I'm bringing one of them into the shop and I'm going to go out and test it. Under 400 bucks full retail, +P capable and all metal. Looks promising.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So after years of requests from gun owners, Glock finally releases a "pocket-size" gun, the Glock 42. It's in .380, and larger than what is arguably the best pocket-size 9mm on the market, the Kahr PM9. What a ******* stupid thing to do.

There are hopes of Glock releasing one in 9mm. Well, the pocket-size Glock 9mm can't be smaller than the Glock .380, otherwise the .380 becomes literally and completely obsolete. This can only mean, assuming they do release one in 9mm, it will be larger than the Glock .380, which would make it far too large for pocket carry - and in all likelihood not much smaller than a Glock 26. In other words, Glock won't be releasing one in 9mm.

Pretty disappointed. If they had made a Glock 9mm that was the same size as the PM9, it would have sold like crazy.

Last edited:

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just had a thought today - are there any leather companies out there that produce a horween cxl rifle sling or one made from shell cordovan? shell doesn't seem practical as a rifle sling due to its stiffness but a horween sling would be fantastic

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

just had a thought today - are there any leather companies out there that produce a horween cxl rifle sling or one made from shell cordovan? shell doesn't seem practical as a rifle sling due to its stiffness but a horween sling would be fantastic

You'd have to stitch a number of strips of shell together to make to make a rifle sling, which probably wouldn't be too attractive, and you'd probably have to laminate the shell to a more durable leather to make it strong enough for rough service. I don't know about the suitability of Chromexcel for rifle slings. You could no doubt contact various custom holstermakers to see if any were interested in the project.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads